Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

NEF New England Firearms

2137 16
do any of you rimfire buffs use NEF sportsters ? Single shot break open action rimfire with interchangeable barels. Pull the forend , break the action, swap the barrel and you're in business for the other calibre. 22LR 22WRM 17HRM. Basic rifle retails about $160
then the other two barrels go for about $55 apiece. Like everywhere else accuracy depends on the individual weapon and the nut behind the trigger.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2 Sportsters, a 22 mag with standard sporter barrel and a 17 HMR with bull barrel. Both shoot quarter size groups at 100. I'm a nut for the NEF single shot rifles anyways, also have one in 223 bull, and another in 20 gauge. The 22 mag I picked up new for $112, couldn't resist.

DW

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
NEF .17

dipidomys,
I've got one and I love the little sucker. There's one thing you learn is to pick your shot. When you've got only one shot you'll make it count. (Placement is the secret) For the money it's an pretty accurate weapon. I can shoot a .625 group @100yds. from the bench. I took a coyote at 117 yds and placed it right where I wanted. I shot for the ear broadside and took the right side of the skull off. Exit hole was about the size of 1-1/2".
I think it's a good starter weapon.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I have one of these in 17hmr, but I haven't fired it yet. What I was wondering is about mounting a scope on them. No matter what I do, the hammer seems to get in the way if I mount the scope in the correct postion for comfort. I'm not a novice at mounting scopes, and have tried several different heights of rings. I hear talk of a hammer extension, but I have not seen one, Is that what I need, and could you tell me what it is like? The only way I could see it helping is if it took your thumb out to one side or other. Thanks:)

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Wow, thanks Redtip:D Sure enough it was right in the little plastic envelope of papers still in the box from last Fall:eek: My life has been kind of out of control for the last 6 months, and I obviously have not paid enough attention to detail. Thanks for the tip:D

1st10/22, problem solved, but thanks for thinking of me:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My son has one in 243. I might have to take it away from him! I LOVE THE SUCKER! Going to send it off this summer and have the muzzleloader barrel fitted. I want one in 450 Marlin. That should be a shoulder-knocker in a 7lb rifle!

·
Registered
142 Posts
NEF

Love 'em.
Sportster/.22 mag/ 3x9x40 Simmons 44mag-Maxi-mags 1.2" @100. Rem Premiere 33 gr. VMAX- 0.610" @ 100 avg. for 100 rounds, WOW!!!

SB2/.223/added Sportster synthetic stock and forearm/Bushnell 4x12x42mm A.O. Winchester/varmint pack/45 grn.h.p.- 0.555" @100 avg. for 25/ 5 shot groups. Lake City (Federal) surplus/55gr. f.m.j.- 1.17" @100 avg. for 20 5 shot groups.

Both rifles are coated with black bake-on teflon/moly finish.
I had to lap the bores and chambers of both rifles. The .223 had ejection problems about half the time before the polish job.

BTW, shop around, I got the .22mag out the door for $109.00 and the .223 for $219.00 out the door with rings and a cheapo scope, that I removed and put on an old J.C. Higgins .22lr.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
I'm gettin' about 1" groups at 100yds with el cheapo ammo and a little over 2" at 200. This is with a new NEF .223 with a bull barrel and a Bushnell Banner 6x18-50 AO. I'm going to get a Moly-Fusion kit and do the barrel, s'posed to be great stuff! JL

·
Registered
90 Posts
.223 NEF

you guys with the .223's do you think the bull barrel is worth getting for a hunting rifle? Does it shoot apreciably better? I want a hunting gun but if the sporter barrel shoots 5 in. groups and the bull 3/4 in. I want the bull, even if it is heavier. If the sporter goes 1 in. and the bull 3/4 in. i will go with the sporter. Do you kinda understand what i'm askin?:eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
nef

i bought my son a 22lr last year and i lined it up for him i got a mag about two weeks ago and it will out shoot my 25mn. if it wasn't for having to part with the gun for so long i would send mine and my sons off and we would have all three barrels. for the price you can't beat-em i would sell my encore if it was easier to get barrels for h&r or nef.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trigger

Hi All,
I noted some of you were commenting about the triggers on the NEF. I believe that if you send it back to the factory for extra barrels, they'll do a trigger job if you request it. I'm not sure what they do but there customer service is reportedly very good so i'm sure you could call and inquire about it if you were interested.

Take care

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.