Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i havent really heard anything that has to do with the NEF single shot 17 HMRs. I have one of the centerfire models in .243 and i am very pleased with it. How do the rimfire versions shoot? Is the accuracy comparable to a ruger or a marlin?

Thanks,

Moose

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, Moose in KY,

I just picked up my new NEF Sportster single shot 17 hummer yesterday. I haven't had a chance to break it in but I will do so Wednesday.

I already have a Marlin 17VS that is a dream come true! So, in my recent trip to my local gun shop, I noticed the Sportster. I wanted another 17 but I didn't want to go for anything real expensive like a Ruger. Well, as faith would have it, I saw the NEF sitting on the shelf just saying "Take Me, Take Me!". So I did.

In giving it a close once-over, it is a very well-made rifle. It has a 22" bull barrel and a synthetic stock. I mounted a 3-12X40 scope to the weaver rail and I am ready to go!

I will report back to you Wednesday or Thursday the final outcome of my new experience.:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought the "Sporster" in the synthetic stock when they first came out a few months ago and the accuracy was terrible. Tried all the tricks with a rubber washer in the forearm and different torque on the forearm screw and finally gave up. Ordered a wood forearm from NEF for $11 and the rifle shoots acceptable now after playing with the torque on the screw. Shoots the most consistent when it is well fouled probably because of a sloppy chamber - I think the fouling fills in around the front of the chamber and throat area which gives more consistent ignition and velocity. You would be much better off paying more and getting a Marlin (if you can find one). BTW, the fired brass from my NEF won't even start to chamber in my Cooper, Savage, or TC which very much indicates an "oversize" sloppy chamber in the NEF. In fairness to NEF, my Hornet shoots less than 1/2" with reloads and the rifle has zero modifications.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had a NEF .17 since Oct. I bought it after waiting 5 months for a Marlin. I figured how can I lose for $119. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards, without any modification. I've had a Simmons 6-18 and a Bushnell Banner 4-12 on it. Shoots well with both. The trigger is surprisingly good, crisp, I'd guess about 3 lbs. Two friends bought NEF's after shooting mine and have also been pleased.

I'm still waiting for a Marlin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In fairness to NEF, my Hornet shoots less than 1/2" with reloads and the rifle has zero modifications.
Bill,

What Hornet do you have? Is it the 22 inch or the 20 inch super-lite? I ordered one of the 20 inch Hornet barrels and haven't found time to paper it. What handloads are you using? Have you tried that Lil'Gun powder yet?

Moose

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bought a NEF Sporter last year. Did not shoot well for about a hundred rounds or so.

Since then groups at 50 yards have been running .3 to .4".

BTW the empties just fall out of my chamber with no help from the extractor needed. Sloppy chamber? Doen't seem to hurt the accuracy.

If your happy with a single shot ; buy it. Seems to be the cheapest way to try the HMR.

Al :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
No complaints at all with my two Sportsters, have one in 17 HMR and another in 22 mag.

Also have a Marlin 17VS, the NEF shoots just as well and costs a lot less. I'm very happy with the NEF's.

DW

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have the nef.Mine shoots inside an inch at 100yds. with the occasional flyer.It's not the tackdriver that some guys with the bolt actions are reporting but I think this kind of accuracy is very respectable and a hell of bargain for the money.I don't shoot competitivley only at the local varmints so I doubt the local crows or groundhogs are gonna know if I shoot 1/2"groups or 1"groups.The thing most exciting to me is the fact that I can head shoot groundhogs now at 200 yds. without bringing out the cannons and making a bunch of unnecessary noise for all the neighbors to hear.I haven't tried shooting mine dirty but I will now just to see if that will tighten groups a little as I've shot about 150 rounds now and it should be as broke in as it's gonna get.

·
Registered
979 Posts
NEF .17

My NEF w/4X BSA shoots a 1" group for me but my wife is shooting 11/32 groups with it. Don't care what youve heard about bolt actions "I like my NEF" that's plural, the sportster is number three. I have two in center fire with a collection of barrels for them and so far I don't have a bad barrel.

·
Registered
288 Posts
For Moose in KY.....NEF Hornet

For the 35 V-Max, I use 12.4 gr. WC680 (military surplus powder) and the CCI 400 primer and Win. brass.

For the 40 V-Max, I use 13.0 gr. Lil Gun, CCI 400, and Win. Brass

I also had good results with max loads of Win. 296 powder with both of these bullets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts