Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i am looking for a .22 cal rifle that i can just go shoot for fun, since ammo is so cheap.

fist i would like to say that i have other rifles like sks, mosin nagants, enfields and mausers. so i dont plan on custimizing the .22 since i would rather spend money on my other large caliber rifles.

basically i am looking for a semi auto, detachable magazine rifle that i can just go and shoot, i need something that wont jam much and is decently accurate. i have looked at 10/22s and remington 597s, to me it seems that the rems just look better, are more comfortable, better balanced and most importantly cheaper. i have seen 10/22 for about 200 bucks and a 597 for 140, that a big difference in price, but is the 10/22 that much better?

basically i plan on getting the 597 in a couple of weeks,i have read many prev. posts about them, but im still not certain, do you guys think this is a bad idea or are there things that i should directly worry about?

thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
The $200 or so 10/22 is, most likely, the Wal-Mart special. It's just an SS Deluxe Sporter (I believe the regular DSP is about $ 70 more, but I could be wrong). The regular 10/22 Carbine is about $160 or so. The Ruger is tried and true but seems "klanky" compared to the 597 in that the bolt seems to slam around in the chamber. I love both my 597 and 10/22, but I find myself grabbing my 597 to take out plinking. It feels more solid in its synthetic stock. It has jammed about 3 out 500 or so shots, not bad in my opinion (the 10/22 has never jammed, but I haven't shot it nearly as much). They supposedly have their share of problems, but I have yet to experience anything but a couple of jams and one magazine that won't hold the bolt open on the last shot. All in all, you can't lose with either model.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'd also go with the 597 ... a hammer change is all it needs to be a great shooter. A synthetic stock is most likely lighter (I never held the wooden model) but it still feels much better than St. Bills pop-gun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats cool, i think it has a heavier barrel too. which is generally better, also a small scope mount i can stick a red dot on.

i heard that they have "bad" triggers but im not sure because i never shot it, but i expect it to be decent for me since all i shoot are military surplus rifles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats basically what i wanted to hear :), again i dont plan on buying stuff for it, i just want something thats pretty cheap (low on cash) and that shoots well.

thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.