Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got that wonderful call from my ffl yesterday and made it to the shop with 10 minutes to spare. :D I was very surprised to see it was packed in a hard Dosckocil case and had an Otis kit inside. :t I switched to the Otis system last year and have not looked back. After mounting the V-16 and reading the "spartan" owners manual, I have a few questions for you experienced owners. I am totally unfamiliar with the "10/22" style action, so if my questions seem real newbie it's because of what I paid and don't want to screw up.

Do I need to do anything other than pull a couple of patches down the barrel before shooting it?

Do I need to break it down and clean it before shooting or because of the VQ QC they send the rifle lubed and ready to shoot?

There is nothing in the "spartan" manual about barrel break-in. Is it necessary? I only plan on using Federal American Eagle for fun and Wolf MT for matches.

The Otis kit has a brush, but a seperate piece of paper says not to use a rod or brush. What is the approved method?

I use M Pro-7 for normal cleaning, but what do you guys use for the action?

On a lighter note, when I got home my son wanted to shoulder it and I told him not to dry fire it. He was so excited, he forgot what I had just told him and then burst into tears thinking he had destroyed dad's new rifle. It took a few minutes to calm him down, explain it was ok and that I should have put the safety back on after showing him all the functions.

I'll give a range report soon.

Glad to be part of the "VQ owners" group.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just called Jeff at VQ and he said, "no need for the brush, ready to shoot, but pull a patch through it first, and shoot it until it doesn't cycle...about 2500 rounds before giving it a full cleaning."

·
Registered
194 Posts
vepr762 said:
shoot it until it doesn't cycle...about 2500 rounds before giving it a full cleaning."
Wow that is quite a statement... especially from a manufacturer...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.