Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Need recommendation on gunsmith (preferably in western Colo.) to install barrel liner on old Mossberg target rifle.

609 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DaveInDenver 
#1 ·
I have recently been made aware that you can restore a badly pitted barrel by installing a liner. In addition to getting some recommendations on a gunsmith who has experience at doing this work I am also curious about the following:

1. Is it obvious when looking at a rifle that it has been re-lined?

2. For those who have had this work done have you noticed an improvement in accuracy.

3. Does the firearm have to be treated any differently once it has been re-lined, such as shooting or cleaning the rifle.

4. Has anyone had regrets about doing this job and why.

5. Can someone give me what they believe would be the advantages of installing a liner vs. a new barrel.

6. I would be interested in a cost range I should expect to do pay for materials and labor.

7. Recommendation on what liner to get for my .22 LR.

I know lots of questions. Would appreciate your response to any or all of my questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Only one I know of is on the east slope. He's gotta be in his 90's by now. And yes relining is worth the effort. Don't worry about what liner to choose unless the doing the work gives you a choice. Those that do it have their own preference of liner. And it could be very different from guy to guy.

#3 ·
If I lived in Colorado, I would contact the Colorado School of Trades/ Gunsmithing Program and see if their student machinists can do it.

"In our 20,000 square foot industry simulated facility, Colorado School of Trades can accommodate up to 160 students with new classes beginning on the second Monday each month. This allows for individual class sizes to remain small, putting more focus on student and instructor interaction. All instruction is project and customer based. Using “Real Customer Projects” allows for students to experience many real world work situations under instructor supervision."

#6 ·
If I lived in Colorado, I would contact the Colorado School of Trades/ Gunsmithing Program and see if their student machinists can do it.
YES!
I've used them a couple of times and so have others I know with good results. They charge $40. Yep... just $40. Parts and ammo for testing are extra. Turnaround time is varied... depends on when the best 'student' and instructor for the job are available. Located in Lakewood (suburb of Denver).

#5 ·
I have recently been made aware that you can restore a badly pitted barrel by installing a liner. In addition to getting some recommendations on a gunsmith who has experience at doing this work I am also curious about the following:

1. Is it obvious when looking at a rifle that it has been re-lined?

2. For those who have had this work done have you noticed an improvement in accuracy.

3. Does the firearm have to be treated any differently once it has been re-lined, such as shooting or cleaning the rifle.

4. Has anyone had regrets about doing this job and why.

5. Can someone give me what they believe would be the advantages of installing a liner vs. a new barrel.

6. I would be interested in a cost range I should expect to do pay for materials and labor.

7. Recommendation on what liner to get for my .22 LR.

I know lots of questions. Would appreciate your response to any or all of my questions.
Barrel for a .22 Mossberg? Imagine for less money and trouble and quicker gratification that you can find a very decent replacement on the auction sites that shall not be named. Some Mossberg owners seem to make more parting them out than selling the whole rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.