Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Need info QUICK!

736 14
Today I saw what I thought was a 52B but now I'm not sure.
Left side of the barrel had " u.s.repeating arms, New Haven, Conn. Right below that it had "Made in Japan".
On the same left side it had the Winchester logo and below that it had "Lincensee".
It also had a 10 digit serial # without the B.
Barrel was not the real glossy finish like I have seen on the B models but other than that they looked indentical.
It also did not have the "imported to New Haven stamped on the right side.

Price was $475 with a like new Leupold 4x12 matte on it.
Wood was about 80%. Somebody beat the heck out of it on 2-3 spots but the scrathes were not real deep. Is this an original model 52? If so I didn't know they were made in Japan.
Let me know soon what I've found. I may go get it tomorrow.
Don't really think the dealer knows whats he's got. As soon as it got it out he made the comment that the scope was worth more than the gun. Of course I Agreed with him.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Rifle and scope--I'd buy it in a heart beat! That's a deal! Why can't I ever find those??! I offered a guy 550.00 for a new one this past Sunday and he refused. "Course it was new in the box with the bases to fit. Maybe he'll give in later..

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I just looked at one of mine the serial started was BS2XXX. I have another thats a very low number. On the right side of the barrel it says "made in Japan" under that it says imported to New Haven Connecticut. The 10 digit # is throwing me too--I have an original that's in the 60,000's or low 50,000's--it's put up in a safe place-I don't want to drag it out. If you had pic's it'd help. My thoughts were that Browning made 6000 of them marked Browning and Winchester made an additional 3000 marked Winchester. Of course this happened after FN acquired Winchester. I will say they are super shooting rifles--mine out shoots a lot of my more expensive rifles and does it easily, with several different types of ammo--it doesn't seem that sensitive to different ammo. I like them a lot!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think what you have is one of the special run of the heavy barrel version of the 52B. I have two of these and they do have 10 digit serial numbers and a matte blue finish. Does your serial # start with 10NPXXXXXX? If so, it is one of them.

I don't know much about these but I was told that Winchester made a special run of these for a particular distributor. So these are even more rare than the regular 52B reproduction. I really like mine a lot. I paid $557 each for mine new and I think they are the bargain of the century.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Winchester 52's

Winchester first run of the reproduction 52's was in 1993 and they made 6000, they reissued the 52 in 1997 with a production of 3000. Browning Arms had a limited production of the 52C in 1991 of 5000 units. There are a few differences between the Browning and Winchesters, the trigger guard is not as nice on the Browning, the butt plate is plastic on the Browning and no provisions for open sights on the Browning. I believe Zanders had Winchester build 500 heavy barrel 52's for them. I have a W serial number and a WS serial number and I am quite sure the WS was a '97 production

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Congradulations--you got a great deal--I would have bought it for that in a minute. I think you'll be pleased with the rifle. I have yet to see one that didn't shoot well although I'm sure some are probably better than others. I have one that I restocked in Burl walnut--bedded in Brownell's Steelbed that will shoot as well as anything I have--and I have a few good rifles! Let us know how it shoots!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.