Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Need High Comb

373 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  usmc69
I mounted a BSA Contender 6-24X (cost to me $25.00 NIB, but that is another story) on my 10/22-T. Had to use Leupold medium mounts to get the scope to clear the barrel. When I did this I had to raise my head off the stock to get proper eye relief. My questiom is: who makes a stock with a high comb? Was looking at the Fajen Hi-Liner Silhouette Stocks. Anybody got any info on these? TIA :Blasting_ :confused:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am using a stock Ruger 10/22-T stock at present. I need to pick my head up off the stock to get a good sight picture through the scope. Originally I had mounted a Simmons 6-24X50 on high Burris rings and the front of the scope was binding on the barrel. Next I used a old Tasco 4-12X32 (made in Japan) on low rings and it worked fine. Then ran across a deal on a NIB BSA Contender 6-24X40 for $25.00 and tried that. With low rings it was binding also. Went to Leupold medium rings and it clears the barrel fine. Now to get a good sight picture, I have to lift my mellon off the stock. So was thinking a higher comb would be the answer. Was looking at the Fajen Hi-Liner Silhouette Stocks. These were optically (as viewed on the monitor) the hishest combs I can see/find. Any inputs? TIA

· Registered
1,106 Posts
everyone says that yukons have a very high comb. i didnt notice it when i shot a rifle that had it equipped. it was a right handed rifle and i am a lefty, so i was already positioned awkward. that may be why i didnt notice it. there are "classic" looking stock that have raised combs too. revival's trailblazer come to mind.

you say the you BSA has a 4o mm objective. that shouldnt be too tall. ive got a 3-9/5o (soon to be 6.5-2o/44 :t ) on mine right now, and it has a set of b-square medium rings on it, payed under $1o for them on midway. you shouldnt really have mounting probs with a 4o mm scope. how far does it clear the barrel by? maybe your first set of low rings were real low rings. :confused:

· Registered
5,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the BSA has a 40 MM objective. It is sitting in a pair of Leupold Medium rings. It fits on the rifle just fine now. My problem is I have to pick my head up off the stock to get a good sight picture. Thats why I want a higher comb. Will take it out again on Friday and try it again to see if it was just me.

· Registered
20,675 Posts
USMC,

the "hi-liner" stocks are carried by a sponsor, cranky farmer?? i think they are all the same stock, diff name. boyds, revival; fajens, blasters, etc with the grooved out area rear of the pistol grip. if so, just mounted one on a 10/22 17M2 kit w/ bull bbl and works perfect for me with a 42MM bell with med rings and have about 1/8" clearance btwn scope and bbl. but yea, as another member posted, earmuffs hit the comb which can be frustrating and will scratch the finish. i use ear plugs.

here is a pic of what you may be looking for. some of the sponsors have them in some really cool colors. check them all out and you can decide.

· Registered
4,297 Posts
Thumbhole silhouette

Get one made by whichever company you feel can provide the inletting that you think you need, they are all pretty much dimensionally the same, with a 14" LOP, and the cheekpiece is "Just right". I have a Fajen, and it wouldn't sell it. :t

· Registered
43 Posts
i got a fajen also they are all relitively the same

i love it wouldnt trade it for any thing and its a very tight fit around action and barrel if you prefer this ( some prefer floatin barrel) but mine will shoot sub 1/2 inch at50 yrds with the gm barrel no floatin no bedding and nowork on any thing o yea thos are leupold HIGH rings with a 50 mm scope and its still perfect

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.