Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie so don't get mad...First, this is a very informative site. Appreciation to everyone participating here. So, for my b-day, I'm getting from Walmart a Ruger SS 10/22, as well as a Hogue OM stock, Adams and Bennett 18" SS .920 barrell, and a VQ hammer and a PC recoil buffer. I need some help deciding on a couple of things:
1) SCOPE (complicated)...I have a Browning 7mm Rem Mag with a Simmons 44mag 6.5-20X44 that I think needs to be replaced by this coming up deer season. Is this a decent scope for a .22 with my configuration? Or should I temporarily use an old Bushnell 4x32 scope until I can spend maybe $100 on a .22 scope (I saw a BEC Inc. in cheaperthandirt.com mag for $59.97 with Illumin. reticle and mil dot-this sounds good...any experience here???). I actually like the scope on my 7mag, I can pretty easily nail quarters at 300 yds with it at full power, don't know if it's good for a .22 though.
2) SCOPE MOUNT & RINGS: First, I think I want the Weaver T0-9 base in silver. I know the Zee Sigs are the best as far as rings, but I'm at LOW budget right now so I'll get cheaper...so...the height thing with the rings. Does anyone have the info on which height rings to get at 32, 44, and 50 OBJ? I don't know what to get so please help. Maybe I have to buy them all and try all scopes to see what I like.....
That's all right now, thanks again. Oh yeah, the tec .22 clips fit our guns!!!!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
(don't) Panick.....

Sounds to me like you're very much on the right track. ;)

The Walmart SS 10/22 is a good deal, I just bought one myself a few weeks ago, the Hogue OM is a fine sporter stock for the price, the VQ hammer will get ya a decent trigger pull, BUT...... think about getting the Dakotan buffer instead of the PC. In fact, you should consider getting the Dakotan SS Performance pkg. because...... you WILL need a VQ extractor, his buffers are the best, bar none, the hex-head takedown screw is nice (and you get a nice T-handle wrench for it), and he is a great guy to do business with, and an RFC sponsor. I know you're on a budget, but that's ~$23 WELL SPENT!

And, regarding.....

1) SCOPE ... IMO, Go ahead and put that 44 mag on your new project, there are many, many tricked-out 10/22s around here wearing them, just check out the picture gallery. And the AO will be of more use to you at .22 ranges than on a 7mag..... and re: the Cheaper-than-Dirt el cheapo scope...... please don't put a crappy scope on your new rifle! The Simmons will serve you well.... the extra power and AO will help you make smaller groups now, and you can save up for a scope for your 7mag before next hunting season. SWFA has the Simmons Whitetail Classic (WTC18) 6-20X50 AO back on sale for $99 (a great deal!), but the 50mm objective will make you have to mount it too high for comfortable use with a sporter stock......

2) SCOPE MOUNT & RINGS: Also just my opinion, but the TO-9 base will do for now.... sorry, but there are just too many variables to say for sure what height rings you'll need, maybe someone that has your "combo" of parts will chime in and give a suggestion. I'd guess with that 44mm obj., and low base, you'd need high rings, but diff. mfgs. high rings are diff. heights. I have a Silhouette stock, PC "high" base, and Millet "high" rings, not because of needed obj. clearance, but because of the high comb on the Sil. stock.....

Good luck, good shootin', and HAVE FUN!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rings

I just mounted a Tasco VAR6-24x42AO with a 55mm Bell on gun with the Houge OM stock and 18" barrel combo using high rings with no problems. I thought it would be to high to shoot comfortably but it seems fine to me.

Maybe I just have an oversized head?

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
If I had a 7mm hunting rifle that would shoot quarters at 300 yards, I can't think of any power on earth that would make me break up a combination like that..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dang right!!

I might sell it for a few grand but ****. If your claim is true, rifles (Rifle scope combos) like that are few and far between. He he. You could always split it up and see if you could put a better scope on it and maybe hit pesos at 400.:D :D

I think that the 44 is a great scope for the duce

D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hehehe. It is a great gun. The 7mm is a browning a-bolt II stainless stalker with the boss on it. It took me a long time to sight it in and find ammo that will shoot that good. That gun likes Speer nitrex 145 grain. The boss must be tuned to the ammo also. That is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, I love it and will never part with it. I highly recommend it. However, I think it is time for a new scope for that rifle, just wondering how well the 44 mag will do on my .22 LR. I ran into a problem with the Adams barrell and didn't put the scope on it yet. Temporarily, a bushnell sportview 4x32 is on the gun. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have the 1048 44 mag on my 10/22. It is quite nice for the price. There is no distortion at the edges of the image, but it's a shade dark cranked up to 20x. If it had a 50mm recticle, it'd be a tad better. I like the target turrets and the fact that it's not terribly bad for the price; it doesn't shift zero and the lenses don't fog up under hunting conditions.

All in all, I like most of Simmons scopes. For me, they've been reliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.