Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ATD Belgium made from 1970. It is not ejecting the spent cases completely. It will fire 2 or 3 shots and then the empty will get caught. The next round is chambered when this happens. If I pull the lever back all the way, it will eject the empty and the live rounds both. If I just pull back the lever far enough to remove the empty, the round stays chambered and will fire just fine. I've cleaned the gun several times. It doesn't matter what kind of ammo I use, from sub-sonic to stingers, this happens with all of them. Usually it will fire 2 or 3 with no problem, then another 2 or 3, but never 5 or all 10 rounds with out an empty getting caught. Any ideas of what could be wrong???

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
It appears that it is extracting the empty round fine, but not ejecting it. Since gravity helps with ejection, is the extractor refusing to release the empty case once it is extracted?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
gravity?

Gravity really doesn't have a chance to get involved. The cycle is to quick. The extractor may be worn or a little faulty for some reason and is not providing enough throw, momentum, in a downward direction quickly enough to clear the cartridge from the action before the action comes back into battery. VH^& :eek:man:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I have completely dissassembled and cleaned the gun several times, maybe only 50 rounds between cleanings. I havent seen any dry fire damage. I was wondering if there could be any sort spring issues ?
I get the same results with every type of ammo, and I've tried :
CCI Stinger
CCI Standard
PMC zapper
PMC scoremaster
Win target
Win Wildcat
American eagle
Fed Target
Fed Bulk
Fed Champion HV
Fed Automatch
RWS
Wolf match target
CCI Blazer
Rem Subsonic
Rem Target
Rem Viper
Rem Yellow jacket
Augila Target
5 rounds of each, all with the same result.
I was only shooting at 15 yards for testing purposes, but every one of these gave great accuacy, the gun seemed to like them all. It's just frustrating to have a gun that is supposed to be one of the best and have some aggrivating little problem with it.

·
Registered
14,953 Posts
Possible causes of faulty extraction as listed in the Browning service manual are: cartridge guide spring and/or the cartridge guide.Replace.
Be sure that you are removing the extractor and cleaning the gunk behind it,before replacing any parts.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Me too!

Hello Matt,

I have the exact same problem with my bought new Japan ATD. I have blown off a bunch of steam here on RFC about it in the past. I have sent my rifle back to Browning 3 times and still no improvements. I have spend even more money replacing the guide block, bolt spring (tried modifying one also), cartrige guide spring (tried very slightly modifying one of these also) and extractor. Of course I have tried all kinds of ammo and cleaning it untill I'm blue in the face.

I hope you find the problem with yours and maybe you can share with me what you learn, maybe together we can fix these rifles? If you want to try some of the parts I have listed or have questions let me know, perhaps I can save you some money and frustration. Right now I have about a $580 fence post! I check this section often for just such post about ATDs, apparently us with jamming ATDs are few and far between.

Good luck!
David

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Green River,
I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. I just put it back into the rotation. I'll just shoot other guns until I feel less discusted with it and feel like working on it. I have many different 22 pumps and they are my favorite rifles to shoot. They never usually have any issues. :bthumb:
I'll post the fix if I can find it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem with the ATD is fixed. After reading the suggestions in the post and getting a disassembly guide. The problem was that behind the extractor, it was packed solid with greese and old powder. I had never removed this part before when cleaning, because it did seem to move ok, but it must not have been moving enouph. I tried several different types of ammo and had no problems with any of them.
Thanks for the help, Matt

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
The problem with the ATD is fixed. After reading the suggestions in the post and getting a disassembly guide. The problem was that behind the extractor, it was packed solid with greese and old powder. I had never removed this part before when cleaning, because it did seem to move ok, but it must not have been moving enouph. I tried several different types of ammo and had no problems with any of them.
Thanks for the help, Matt
Those Belgium guns are very reliable. I'm glad you have it figured out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.