Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 10/22 for about three years now in complete stock form, and always have been interested in changing the stock,barrel,trigger, ect. and getting a pretty accurate 22. Anyway I've finally decided I'm gonna get the ball rolling on this thing and I have been reading this forum for about three hours now and can't make up my mind on anything!!!

I know what I want but don't know what the best to choose is... As far as a stock is concerned I want a thumbhole stock that won't require any bedding (mainly because I haven't the slightest idea how to do that lol). I'd want the stock unfinished because I might do a little sanding to make it fit perfect (I'm not sure if my hands are too big) and also to save on price cause im a college student(I should be studying for my finals now but this is more fun) I'm good with staining and finishing so its no biggie for me I have stuff laying around to do that, but still don't know the best for the money, preferrably the least amount of money.

And a barrel would be the next thing I'd need help with. I was thinking about a plain blued 20inch GM. I don't know if VQ makes anything in blued, but if they do I might splurge for that if the accuracy is much more noticable.

As far as the action is concerned, I think I could somehow manage taking apart the trigger, I'm not an invalid, but I've never done this before, and assuming I can pull it off... I don't know whether to get the VQ HP Action Kit, or just the VQ hammer&sear. Does the kit offer a big difference from just the hammer and sear??

Okay well theres my 20 questions for now, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well, ill give this a shot...Id say from what all ive heard on this site that for your situation, you may just want to get the GM barrel instead of the more expensive vq. You wont lose much accuracy as GM is the best bang for the buck. I have a GM 18" blued barrel on a boyds blaster in nutmeg. Which is also the stock i'd suggest in an UF (unfinished format)...i think one of our sponsors that has them is Stafford sales, where i got mine. Of course the barrel length is up to you, but on my rifle, i have the 18 and a 6-24 power scope and with that stock my rifle is getting a little heavy, I would recommend getting either the 18" or the 16".
Then of course i'd get the vq hammer only, and not the sear. You can put in an overtravel screw and bic spring yourself...

Im working on getting some pics up of my gun...as i just finished it a couple weeks ago! :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey fixxxer,

For most people, a simple hammer swap is more than adequate to get a great trigger. Sometimes, when you swap out both the hammer and sear, it requires a little gunsmithing, while the hammer is a true drop-in part. Most people can't tell the difference, so unless you are going to step up to a TG2000, or KID Trigger, I too would recommend a simple hammer swap.

Hope this helps,

Hawk :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
That reminds me

You know I should be studying for finals right now as well. Oh well, finding out more about my 10/22's is a lot more fun. As for you I'd suggest the GM barrel but you might wanna look at the Fajen thumbhole(unfinished)/Adams barrel combo from Midway I've heard some pretty good things about tem so far. Anyway I think I am gonna go study, or shoot, or study, or shoot, or study MY GOD! I can't take it anymore

Shoot, besides it'll help me relax so I can study :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If I had to do it all over again this is what I would do.

1. Boyds Blaster unfinished (sound like you can do the finish)
2 Green Mountain .920 16" fluted w/ VQ stabilizer
((stinger chambered 16" ss .920 fluted (dreaming I know)))
3. VQ tg2000 triger group
4. Dakotan's buffer and screw w/ wrench
5. A GOOD bedding job
6. bolt chamfer & reface
7. PowerCustom's weaver rail
8. Simmons 44 mag 6.5x20 mildot scope
9. Burris signiture weaver rings
10. lots of ammo

·
Registered
57 Posts
midway combos

I have a Fajen siliouette in the coffee that I finshed and an Adams and Bennett fluted. I love it. When you get the stock and first see it in the unfinished form, you will wonder if you will ever be able to sand it down smooth. I would suggest some 60 or even 40 girt to get rid of the router marks. They are very distint. I have a tasco 6x24x42 on top with the weaver t-09 base and rings holding it down. I also have a 6-9" harris bipod that I swithch off from rifle to rifle. With this setup I am able to keep five round groups under .35" at 25 yds. I noticed that one of you college boys is from Kansas. I am at KSU right now, and yes, this site is a great place to procrastinate studying at.

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.