Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time buying a scope. I going to use it for target shooting only. EABCO has the following rimfire scopes that I was considering.
1. Simmons Pro-air 6x18x40 AO $141
2. Swift 676 4-12x50 AO premier $115
3. Swift 678 8x32x30 AO premier $179
4. Bushnell Trophy 4x12x40 AO $169

or

should I go for the Weaver KT 15 $240
or Weaver v16 for around $289.

Are fixed scopes better for target shooting?

Some of the scopes prices are very good.
Please advise. thanks.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
mazzie,
You've got some good choices there. If money was not too much of an object. I'D go for the Weaver KT-15 simply because simpler is better. Also the Weaver V-16 is a good scope, but for a little more a V24 is the way to go.
I've heard a lot of good about the Swift scopes. I've got a 3x9-40 on my 30.06 and have no complaints. I'd go for the 8x32-40? because the extra power comes in handy on the USBR target. I have a Simmons 8x32-44 on my 10/22 now.
I havn't see a bad post about the Simmons Pro-air either, most are very happy with theirs and would buy another.
Heres a list of the scopes I have:
Simmons 800116 8x32-44 ao
Simmons 22MAG 4x32
Simmons 3x9-32
Swift 3x9-40
Bushnell Sportview 4x12-40 ao
Bushnell Banner 6x18-50 ao
Tasco Mag IV 6x24-40 ao
Tasco WC 4x44
Tasco 4x32 Airgun
Weaver KT-15 ao
Weaver V-22 2x6
Weaver 6x rimfire

Help? JL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JL,
I was leaning towards the KT 15 for its simplicity. Does anyone else have this scope.? How is the eye relief? I played w/ the weaver T36 and I thought the eye relief was pretty sensitive. The eye relief seemed to be on or off if that makes any sense. Move your eyes to close to the scope and you can't see through the scope and move it back you couldn't see through it and it had a small sweet spot when you had perfect vision through the scope. My local gun shops did not have a KT 15 to try out so I'm hoping to find someone who has one.

Also, are there other fixed scopes for under $300 that you can recommend?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
mazzie,

I have used a KT-15 for quite a while, the eye relief isn't as for giving as some scopes but if your setting it up on a target rifle then I wouldn't be to concerned, set it and forget it!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
The higher the power of a scope, the smaller the exit pupil (sweet spot) will be. My KT-15 is not near as picky as my [email protected] But its not that bad once you get used to it, and will help insure a consistent cheek weld to the stock. JL

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Restricted to picking from your list, I'd go with the KT15 Weaver. If, like you say, you are going to use it strictly for targets, you don't need the variable feature anyway. You will set it whatever the max is & leave it there - so why not go with the simplicity of a fixed power?

Eye relief on the KT15 shouldn't be that bad. I use a couple of fixed 36X's & I don't have any eye relief problems..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the informative replies. I'm going to order the kt 15 tommorow. I looking at other post re: scope rings. This is probably one of my hardest purchase because its nearly impossible to line up all the scope and try them all out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a Weaver KT-15 on my 22 Classic, and I would do it again. I only shoot at the range, either 50 or 100 yds., off a bench. The KT-15 works fine. Eye relief can be a bit tricky, but on a bench, its not a big deal. With a 40mm objective lens, it does not overpower the .22 size wise, which would be a concern for me with a 50 mm objective (strictly personal preference).

I got mine from Natchez Shooters Supply and have heard that J&G Sales in Arizona has a good deal on them sometimes. Check SFWA also, but I didn't see the scope on their inventory when I bought mine. These mail order places usually have good prices.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I was considering the KT-15 as well but finally went with the V16 when I managed to catch one on sale for $229 thanks to a heads up alert from another rimfire member!

J&G had the matte finish KT-15 for $198 a few months back - last time I checked I did not see it listed or did not look hard enough! Natchez had the gloss finish KT-15 on sale near the same time for $189.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You won't be sorry with the V-16. I have a grand Slam & a KT-15 & both are outstanding. They're Almost as good as my Leupolds. ALMOST, but not quite !!

Weavers are a great buy....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to ask. I will be putting the weaver kt-15 on a volquartsen super lightweight. It has the volk rail on top of the rec. and carbon fiber barrel. I heard good things about the burris z rings but was wondering the correct size to get. Would you recommend getting quick mounts or would it be better to get fixed mounts.
If you have a kt 15 which mount would you recommend to get the lowest mounting. BTW I have a fajen Sillowette stock.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
mazzie - just in case you did not order the KT-15 yet , just received a Natchez flier - they are on sale for $219.95 which is a little better than the price you listed on your first post.

Part#F02SN849417

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Mazzie,
In my opinion, the Burris Signature rings are the best way to go, especially if you use the offset inserts (available as sets of +/- .020", .010" & .005" for about $10). The "Zee" on Burris rings indicates that they will fit on Weaver type bases. If the Volquartsen base is a Weaver-type the Zee rings should work. I think you will need the "high" rings. Be sure & get the "Signature Zee" version of the Burris rings. The non-signature type do not use the inserts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.