Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably not an objective forum however I would like your opinions. A local store is having a sale on both the 10/22 and the Marlin 60. The sale price for the Ruger is $145. The Marlin is $85.
I have no plans on modifying the rifle. What is a better buy, the Ruger or the Marlin ? I'm guessing the 10/22 would hold it's value.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Freeman - Welcome to RFC

So what makes you think this isn't
an objective forum?

Select the 10/22 of your choice. :D :D

No problem.:)

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says : The figures speak for themselves .

For $85.00 = you will get a $85.00 rifle.
For $145.00 = you wil get a $145.00 rifle.

Not hard to figure what one is the best.

·
Registered
52 Posts
10/22

Go with the 10/22. You will get a better all around rifle and will have more enjoyment with it. Like yourself I didn't plan on modifying mine when I got it, but I am now putting about $400 worth of stuff in it to get started.

AXEL

·
Registered
574 Posts
Freeman,

I've had a model 60 for years (20+) it's a fair rifle that said, I'd buy the 10-22, if just for the same reasons as the posts above...

when I started on the 10-22 journey years ago, I had no intention of modifacations. BUT in the world of lawyer triggers, its real easy to fix the 10-22. and later if you decide to change something, you don't have to purchase a whole new rifle, you already have it.

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys....Unfortunatly I waited too long. They only had one of each and sold both. I'll probably focus on finding a good priced 10/22.

Thanks for the objective thoughts...:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
ChiefDave said:
Chief Says : The figures speak for themselves .

For $85.00 = you will get a $85.00 rifle.
For $145.00 = you wil get a $145.00 rifle.

Not hard to figure what one is the best.
When it comes to rifles that's not always true.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can say that again Mr. Emerson

The last 5 10/22's I bought were pure junk! I even bought a TNZ so called "top of the line" one. It was so bad, Ruger gave us the money back. They have 8+ lbs trigger pulls, no two will feed the same ammo, no two will shoot the same, the quality control is just gone. (I also had a new 77/22 and it was no better, I couldn't find ANY ammo it would feed!) If Bill Ruger could see what has happened to the company, he would roll over in his grave. I will never buy another Ruger again, at least not a "new" Ruger. The older 10/22's were great, Iv had a few and with no trouble at all. They were accurate, nicely made, and would feed about any ammo you had. The 10/22 "style" is a good unit and a good platform to build on, I too just finished building one. Techneckly it's a 10/22, but there isn't one thing in it made by Ruger. If I were you, I would look for an older 10/22, then you've got something. Or, buy one with the thought of customizing it until it work's to your liking. I started from scratch with mine, I couldn't see buying stuff just to throw away. Good luck!

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says : When it comes to Rifles THATS ALWAYS TRUE= O.K.

lay yer $85.00 Marlin 60 on the table.
I'll lay my $1000.00 + 10-22 Volquartsen on the table.

WE will complare quality.

I love those " do it yer self " guys. Slap a junk .920 barrel
on a 10-22 , add a custom stock . WOW ! NOW we have
a Target rifle .
Yea ! Far from it . Custom guns = custom money.
The biggest task of all = what , which parts to buy , to get
the best. Once you narrow the field down , then the fun starts.

And complain about quality control on a mere $150.00 rifle.
Do you think the older Rugers were not assembled on a line.
They all had 8 lb triggers.
They all had one type of problem or another .
Problems = Buy an Armscore.

Who cares : YOU are the one buying it , learn to work on it.
If it breaks in the field , who's gonna fix it = YOU.
No dont buy anymore Rugers , let me = I appreciate the chore
of buyin more . WASTEFUL ? no problem.
Stock = give it away.
Barrel = jack-handle.
Complaints / answered FREE.

CHIEFDAVE

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think dmachine's point is that if he pays for a $150 rifle he does want to have to put another $150 to get it to work. I have a interarms 22 auto(browning copy) and it is extremely reliable and accurate and I believe it was $75 new. My savage 12bvss was one of the cheapest centerfire rifles in the house, it's also the very good looking, the most accurate, and has one of the best trigger pulls(after I worked on it a little). Also, I bet there isn't a stock/factory ruger 10/22 part on that volquartsen 10/22.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It should work no matter what the cost!

All I can tell you about is what I have owned, my older 10/22's were great. The had 5 - 6 lbs triggers, not the best but not as bad as today's, they would feed almost any ammo you put in them, and I could keep the shots in about a 2" group at 100 yards. I had 2 dlx. ones with the checkering & one std. one.
Today however, I have bought a 77/22 that would not feed ANY ammo at all, I got rid of it asap, I then bought a std. 10/22 to plink with. The kids wanted 10/22's so I bought 2 more for Christmas for them. (And they were $200 each, not $145) Out of the 3 std. ones I have, NONE of them will feed the same ammo, NONE of them will do any better than a 2.5" group at 50 yards, and NONE of them will go longer then about 4 clips full before a jam. I then sold one of them and bought a TNZ 10/22 $575, the best one they made! After not being able to get it to shoot worth a [email protected], I took it apart to see what was up with it. The barrel had a .004" slip fit in the reciever, at least .002" - .003" to big, the muzzle was .090" off center from the reciever, they had pressure on the left side of the barrel pushing it over with the stock to compinsate for this. It did have a 3lbs pull trigger though! I sent it back to Ruger and they agreed with me and sent my money back, all but the tax anyway. I would have took one of my old 10/22's over that new TNZ one any day of the week! A buddy of mine has a Nylon 66 that shoots real nice, never jams, and is very accurate. That was a very "cheap" gun. Another guy I shoot with bought a Ansultz for $300 and that thing will out shoot any 10/22 copy at any price! We shoot 1/4" groups with std. ammo and a 8x scope at 50 yards with it all the time. So, judgeing a gun by how much it costs ......... not the brightest thing to do. However, I would be willing to sell mine, how about $2000 each,?
That should make them about the best 10/22's in the world!

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says : Mr Emerson , you are correct!
Theres not one stock Ruger part in the Volquartsen rifle.

If there was , VQ would get it back.

dmachine : I agree with you too : Alot of classy high priced
rifles are just that high priced. Crudely thrown togather
with big claims just to sell them.
Now ,I cant take a cheap 10-22 and make it shoot excellent without pouring big bucks into it. But I can take a factory 10-22
and make it reliable ( not jam) and shoot better than most,
without spending a dime on aftermarket parts.

Buying Rugers best " TNZ" is as you found out ( not the thing to do). If one wants the best , One must buy or build one. One that
is tested , proven, and available.
And they dont come cheap.
I dont think they would bring the $2000 price , that your Rugers
that shoot 2.5" + groups at 50 yds would, but close.

Bottom line = If you want a 10-22 to shoot , it will cost you alot of money. 1/4" at 50 with the Anschutz . BWAHahhhaaa!
I have a 10-17 hmr that will do that at 100 yds . consistantly.

BUY IT = how about $3000.00 " thats what I have had offered"
and I still "OWN IT" !

CD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.