Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A package came in the mail today for me in response to an ad I had placed seeking a Weaver T-36.

The fellow had sent me photos and we agreed on a price. The photos looked exactly like a T-36.

When I opened the package and examined the scope the scope was a Weaver CT-36. Never heard of it. I noted to my dismay that the objective would only adjust down to 42.5 yards.

I wanted the scope for the e-mail matches, which include 50 ft and 25 yard matches.

I was under the impression that the T-36 would focus down to about 17 yards.

I just confirmed this on the weaver website
http://www.weaveroptics.com/opticsframe.html

Can anyone explain the difference between the T-36 and the CT-36? Did I get what I paid for?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I was going to say I never heard of it either...until I looked at mine.

I have a silver T-36 with a dot. I should say I have a CT36 with a dot.

The label on the big green box says T Series Riflescope, Model 849969, 36x40 AO Silver, 1/8 MOA Dot Reticle. (no mention of CT anywhere)

I just pulled the scope out of the safe. It is marked 49969, 36x40, Japan, on one end. The front end is marked MICRO-TRAC and CT36. The yardage markings run down to 50,40,30,25,20, then the Y for the yardage scale, and then 50FT (followed by infinity.)

I don't know if that helps or not.

I'll go back to Google and see what I turn up. I'm curious since I just bought a new matte T-36 without the dot off E-bay. I think, er hope, I'm okay since the Model number is the one shown on the Weaver site: 849970. I'll find out when it gets here.

Let us know what you find out.

John

(edited to correct some of the spelling errors)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That is interesting. I don't know anybody that knows what's up with Weaver pricing.

Glad to see some of the Weaver prices coming back down.

FWIW, I didn't pay that much for either of mine :) and I might need another one.

John

(I just looked at the MidSouth site. The two T-36s that are "Low Stock" are $530-something and the two T-36s that are "On Order" are $330ish. Just like everywhere else except maybe Lester Bruno who has really had them for $390.)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just looked at my T-36 that is about 2 years old from J&G Sales. It is marked CT36 on the objective end but it is marked to adjust down to 50'. Model #49974. I have never heard of a T-36 that would not adjust to 50', doesn't mean there's not any, just means i never heard of them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, JohnBT, Viper, and Froghair.

Thats quite a price drop. 530 down to 330. Gee, used ones are selling for 350 on E-bay. Does anyone know if the new ones are the same quality? Surely Weaver wouldnt start selling chinese versions of their high-end scopes like so many other companies have.

I am still hoping someone can tell me why the scope I have only adjusts to 42.5yds. Mine is marked exactly as yours, JohnBT, except range figures on objective ring are different, and mine has NO MODEL NUMBER - Just 36x40 JAPAN

Mine appears to be a few years old, is it possible the older ones only dial down to 42.5 yards?

I was going to send it back, but if Weaver is going to start selling crap maybe I should hold onto it and save it for another gun.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Yards or Feet......

reg,
I noted to my dismay that the objective would only adjust down to 42.5 yards.
Are you sure you are not misreading the "42.5 yards", and maybe it is "feet"......? ? :eek:

My "Simmons" WTC18 is marked in yards down to XX yards, and then switches to "feet"....... ;)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I haven't heard of any T-series scopes being made in China or any reports about quality issues. Sounds to me like they changed the specs on the scope at some point in the past. Send it back if you can work it out. There are still some deals on T-36s from time to time. And remember, this scope is still listed on the Weaver site with an MSRP of $793 or so. It really is a $500 scope.

My silver T-36 w/ a dot was purchased new less than a year ago from Lester Bruno. Back then the scopes were being dumped before the company was sold and were widely available for $290 to $308. I got in on the very end of the sale or I'd have a matte scope.

My NIB matte T-36 w/no dot is being shipped today(I feel like I stole it for $310). The E-bay ad listed the current Weaver model number and had pics so I'm expecting a scope similar to the one I have. I'm more curious than anything since I do almost all of my shooting at 50 yards or more.

John

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres some recent correspondance with SWFA on the Weaver price drop thing

At 01:29 AM 1/22/2003, I wrote:

Hey Chris,

I noticed that Midsouth is charging only $338.75 for their new Weaver
T-36's. They are charging $532.71 for the same scope in old stock.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=Optics&dept2=SCOPES&dept3=RIFLE&dept4=36X

Is there something going on with Weaver? Have they dropped their prices
this drastically? Sometimes when I see this the company has gone to
Chinese manufacture. Say it ain't so.

Will you match midsouth's price of $338.75 an instock scope? (T-36
target dot).

Hope you can clear this up.

Thanks

Bruce

His reply:

Must be a midsouth thang. They have cost us the same for some time. No price drops and they are still Japan. We can not match the price as they cost us
more than that.

Chris

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey BigMike!!

Nice to hear from you, we haven't crossed posts for a while.

Are you sure you are not misreading the "42.5 yards", and maybe it is "feet"......? ?
First thing I did after I centered the reticle was line the scope up at about 50 yards and move my head to check for parallax error. None.

Then I moved to about 40 yards and dialed down to the stop.
No parallax error.

Then I moved to 25. No matter where I set the objective, I couldnt even focus on the target, let alone check for error.

Looks to me like all the markings on this one are yards.

My "Simmons" WTC18 is marked in yards down to XX yards, and then switches to "feet".......
My WTC18 is clearly marked 25YDS then 50FT.

The other Weaver T-36 scopes are apparently also clearly marked in yards and feet.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I e-mailed Weaver last week and haven't gotten a response yet.

Meanwhile, I noticed that the 2002B Sinclair International catalog says that the T-36 focuses down to 42.5 yards. The 2002A catalog says the same thing.

Conclusion = I still don't know.

The one I bought off E-bay came today and it's another 50 footer.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.