Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need to add a .22WMR rifle to the stable. At this point I don't want to drop 1G on a VQ repeater. A bolt rifle will be fine. What I do want, like most of us I suppose is an extremely accurate gun at an extremely low price. I don't care about wood or looks or anything... just accuracy.

Anyone have any advice?"

·
Registered
13,318 Posts
Dwarren123, I don't think the Silhouette or Style comes in .22 Magnum - at least CZ-USA does not list it. The American, FS or Lux models - yes. I have heard the American and LUX .22 Magnums are accurate - FS is reported to be a bit more finicky, due to full stock. Another good feature of CZs - Eric Brooks can furnish a very reasonably priced trigger spring that makes many CZ shooters do a 'happy dance'. I have the trigger kit, but have yet to install mine in my CZs.

If you don't care about looks, I've heard the plain jane Marlin 882 / 883 will produce some surprising shooting, especially when the trigger is worked on. Ruger 77/22s are also reported to be very good too.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I have a CZ 452 American that can shoot 1" AND under, 5-shot groups at 100yds, about 50% of the time with Winchester Supremes.

The only issue I HAD was if I let the barrel heat up it would press against the stock and screw up the harmonics. This was remedied by enlarging the barrel channel slightly. About half of the CZ's I've seen have this minor issue. It won't affect a 22lr or HM2, but it will if it's a 17HMR or
22 mag.

I had a Marlin, for a week, before I bought the CZ. I didn't like the way the magazine stuck down, I had FTF and FTE with all ammo, and the scope grooves in the receiver were slightly off center. It was VERY accurate with the iron sights at 50yds though.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Savage 93 FVSS is the 22 mag I own

I would also suggest the Marlin 982VS, I have a 917VS and like it quite a bit.

Or of course spend a little more and go with a CZ! The CZ is a top notch rifle, but the Marlin and Savage can shoot quite well too!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My Marlin 25MN will shoot an inch at 100 yards. It needed the usual trigger job, but is otherwise bone stock.
I had an initial problem with the cases sticking in the chamber, but a good chamberface polishing took care of that.
I prefer the wood stock over the synthetic. The magazine hanging down doesn't bother me either.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A decision has already been made!

93R17-bvss said:
Sounds like you just might want a 17hmr. Have you even considered one??
Got one! A VQ 9/17 that is unbeleeeevably accurate. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a 22WMR.

BUT... I went to the gun store at lunch time today to look at a revolver. First of all I am a big Savage fan. I have a bunch of their CF rifles and just like them. They didn't have a single 93 in stock.

Wouldn't you just know that I walked out with a laminated stock Marlin 882L for $200 out the door, including tax, ammo and a soft carry bag. I thought that was a pretty decent price. And I already negotiated a great deal on .45 LC Beretta Stampede Deluxe revolver!

Now I just gotta go find 8 or 10 loads to break it in and find one it really likes, then I can do my OWN .17HMR vs .22WMR tests and quit listening (and buying into) those arguments from people who only have one or the other!

Now.... how do I get this to the country and talk Lynda into thinking that I really HAVE had this rifle for a long time???

I KNOW! "Heck honey... I just shoot those .22's so much I don't like it much. Just thought I'd bring it out and wring it out a little!"

So what do you think? 1" or less at 100 yds with 2 or 3 of it's favorites possible with stock barrel and (worked over) trigger?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.