Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't live without a .22 mag. Lord only knows why, but I got an 882L for pretty cheap - that is what I was looking for... a cheap accurate rifle. I didn't want to spend $4-$500 on one to find out I don't like it.

Anyway, I am going to pick up all the different loads I can get my hands on, do a break in shoot and go from there.

Not knowing ANYthing about these guns, can anyone give me any pointers on what to do specifically to improve accuracy? Should I bed it, replace the barrel, do a trigger job, etc? Any links to 'how to do a trigger job' on these guns or are their replacement pieces?

I have been messing strictly with 10/22's and variants for the last couple years, so this one is aaaaall new to me

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well you are in luck. Do a search on the forum for a 17V trigger job, it is the same for your rifle as for the non 900 series marlins. Also there is an aftermarket trigger, that adds adjustability and lowers pull weight, it is made by rifle basix. A quite search should give you all you could ever desire to read about that.

Barrels are hard to replace, and require access, or paying a gunsmith/machinist to cut the shank, and chamber the barrel, as well as shape the blank and crown it. Its basically buying a barrel, and then making it fit the action, as opposed to bolt on like on a 10/22.

My recommendation, find a good scope and mounts, attach them well. Get lots of different types of ammo, esp. the silver box winchesters. Think they are 40 grain JHP. Those tend to be if not the most accurate round, a good shooter, and they are cheap. Do the pen spring trick, followed by the aftermarket trigger if you don't like the feel of the pen spring. And shoot some groups. If its going to be a hunting rifle, and you find your accuracy then you can just keep shooting and have a blast, with little extra work.

As far as bedding. If you shoot it, and do not find the accuracy you are looking for I would go for it. A search should come up w/ more information on that as well, but i'd not do it all at once. Normally they shoot pretty well w/o tinkering. If you do bed you'll have to decide whether to use the front barrel lug, or pull that out, and attach a new action screw in the rear.

I'm sure you'll like the results.

If you were to attempt a new barrel, i'd buy a GM blank, or even a precut, so long as it was longer than you wanted the final product to be. Have it turned down to the proper diameter (which i'd use a caliper on my specific gun, and possibly consider having the action trued up at the same time.) Then chambered. A groove has to be cut in the bottom of the shank as per the factory barrel, and the extractor grooves cut into the face. Then its just a matter of cooling the barrel, heating the reciever pushing them together and pinning it.

But that's for custom, if you just want a cheap rifle, you are there.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Have Fun

There is a wealth of information on helping the Marlin triggers, even some pictures, and they all works very nicely, just do a search for "shims", "springs", "triggers" and "882L" in this forum. Might have to dig through a few hundred posts but the info is there. As far as the bedding, seems like that is a personal preference and never seems to hurt. Now for the barrel, if you want a different barrel be prepared to modify an existing barrel for another gun, start with a barrel blank or support your local gunsmith, these are press fit pinned barrels that require some work so there are no readily avaliable aftermarket barrels. Since you have been fooling with just 10/22's you are spoiled as to the volume of aftermarket parts and ease of interchangability, ain't so for the Marlins. However, there are a few tune up parts and some easy do-it-yourself mods that produce some very nice results. Hope you enjoy your new toy.

Good luck

sawdust

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.