Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Need a bolt 22

882 Views 20 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  waksabi
I'm wanting a nice .22 to do some "precision" training to save my wallet from the .308. I'm wanting a repeater bolt action that is ready for a scope. I want very minimal aftermarrket parts to be needed basically take it out of the box add a scope and ammo and get to shooting.

The closer to a fullsize rifle and not a youth rifle the better.

The more economic the better.

What would you reccommend?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,923 Posts
Precision and economics don't usually go together, but I'd say CZ 452 first choice, and Anschutz 1416 second choice.
The CZ will probably need a little work, but the Anschutz should be good to go right out of the box.
If a good trigger is important the Anschutz is definitely the better choice.
Just my opinion--I've had several of both.

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
I'm going to take a little different tack, here, bacuause of how you phrased your question. Maybe I misunderstood it, but it seemed as though you were asking after a rimfire .22 that can be used to train for your centerfire, without the cost of ammo. I take that to mean it should be as close to your centerfire as possible, in size, weight, balance, etc.

If that is in fact the case, get a Ruger 77/22 "target" model, with the heavy barrel. They resemble nothing more than a miniature centerfire and they have "acceptable" triggers and accuracy.

Best bang for your buck: Marlin, if you can stand the poor QC. ( flame away, this is my HO ).

The CZ 452 and Anschutz 1416 have also been mentioned and both are high-quality .22's. You won't go wrong there, either.

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
IF you can find a biathlon basic in .22lr, they are the best out of box .22 for the price. although not a typical bolt action, you only have to slap th bolt back and forth (toggle action) trigger is great, accuracy just plain rocks and all you need is some rings (i reccomend weaver quadlock extention rings) and a scope!

however if standard bolt action is what you want, the cz 452 american, and brookies trigger kit would be probably what your looking for. one of these days ill have an american but not untill i get a better paying job so i can visit the range more often...gas prices are getting outrageous!!! the cz 453 american should be around 350 i think. marlins are good guns but are kinda small feeling, terrible triggers, and actions that arnt as good as a cz. if your on a tight budget then by all means a marlin wouldnt be a bad choice at all. but the cz has class ;)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

I'm not needing 1 hole accuracy basically because I'm not capable of it but would like a rifle that is capable of respectable accuracy.

I'm looking for some more trigger time to work on breathing, pull, and using a mildot. Without needing a second mortage.

I've got a collection of 22 already but none fit the bill.

I had originally looked at the CZ but then saw the Savage and Marlins for around 2 bills letting me get the rifle and scope for about the price of the CZ but if CZ quality is vastly superior I'll pony up the dough.

· Registered
4,190 Posts
I'll agree with Old Swede on this one. All the rifles mentioned are VG choices for a good hunting/plinking .22. However, most are "downsized" with smaller actions/stocks and short barrels. ( Check overall weight and length specs.) If you want it to emulate a CF rifle , you should consider one of the larger rifles around. In the new catagory, the Ruger 77/22 ( or Anshutz 64 mPR) does this well for sporter type rifles. Others to consider would be older Anshutz or Mossberg 42/44 series target rifles which tend to have beafier ( ie. adult sized) stocks and heavier and longer barrels.

p.s. Your on the right track. Rimfire is the BEST way to learn rifle shooting basics. Position, reathing, triger control etc are all the same. If you couldn't hit it with a 22, the added recoil of a 308 won't help.

· Registered
93 Posts
bratch said:
I'm wanting a nice .22 to do some "precision" training to save my wallet from the .308. I'm wanting a repeater bolt action that is ready for a scope. I want very minimal aftermarrket parts to be needed basically take it out of the box add a scope and ammo and get to shooting.

The closer to a fullsize rifle and not a youth rifle the better.

The more economic the better.

What would you reccommend?
I use a K77/22 VBZ with a bipod and I think it is great. It also takes 10/22 mags. It has a good trigger (at least on mine it does) and is very accurate.

· Registered
716 Posts
If you want a rifle that has the feel of a hunting rifle -- the CZ out of the box does not need a trigger kit ($15) it is already has a hunting trigger feel to it.

It can be adjusted down to about 3 lbs with out any changes just by turning a screw nut in the rifle.

the hunters I know say my rifle has too light a pull for hunting with using the Brooks trigger kit.

The CZ Trainer is a great rifle -- if you want a heavier rifle they have it with a heavier barrel but accuracy is vary close to the same.

· Registered
174 Posts
All the above is good advice but the real sleeper out there is a NORINCO . I have a jw-15 and it will shoot with any of the other rifles mentioned. My magazine will also interchange in my 2 CZs:t
As a plus ,the stock on this thing is much fuller than any of the others mentioned.Its the closest I have found to a full size centerfire.
You have to find this used as its no longer imported into the U.S of A ,but the price is right. I paid $85.00 for the one i bought last fall.:p
Rex

· Registered
2,971 Posts
ironfox said:
All the above is good advice but the real sleeper out there is a NORINCO . I have a jw-15 and it will shoot with any of the other rifles mentioned. My magazine will also interchange in my 2 CZs:t
As a plus ,the stock on this thing is much fuller than any of the others mentioned.Its the closest I have found to a full size centerfire.
You have to find this used as its no longer imported into the U.S of A ,but the price is right. I paid $85.00 for the one i bought last fall.:p
Rex
The JW-15 is a wonder. I got mine for $99 brand new. It is a copy of the Brno 2E / CZ 452. The finish isn't as nice, the wood is basic popsicle stick, but boy does it shoot. Mine serves as my squirrel rifle because my CZ American's wood is too nice to drag around the woods.

· Registered
5,740 Posts
id go malin for under 200 bucks, fidn any ..81 series, 7 , 8, or nine81's. the 981's are synth theolder ones have wooden stocks. they can fire short, long.or long rifle. very nice. if you can spend around 200 or more, the next best is going to be the cz. it will be more money, for sure, but the accuracy and beauty is very good. i would also include izmash, toz, and biathlon basic in this class.

· Registered
1,537 Posts
CZ 452!!! Fun to shoot! They are just terrific. Of all the rifles I have, my CZ's are the most comfortable to shoot, plenty accurate, great trigger with the help of Eric Brooks trigger kit. I'm amazed when I consider how many rounds I have through my Super Brno and Trainer. If I'm ever talking to anyone who is looking to buy a 22, my advice is always the same. CZ 452

· Registered
5,740 Posts
oh yeah, i'll one up a nice full sized norinco jw 15. I have one that i will sell at the next housotn gun show , last weekend of April. won it on an auction site, wasn't really trying , but i won it , though i allready have one! Now the chinese really didn't care about there wood inletting, or the wood at all for that matter, but they definitely did the bbl/ action right on these things, they are also a very solid , big manly , full size feeling 22. and you can definitely one hole punch with these boys with a little practice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.