Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My Ultra Lux got me in trouble.. almost

1394 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ignantmike
As the supply of UL's has been dwindling it was time to make up my mind.... an RFC member posted that Jet Guns had 6 left.... so I pulled the trigger.

Easy enough web sight, fill in the FFL info give your CC and bam... got an e-mail back stating it would ship in 3-5 business days and it shipped in 4 ...perfect so far.
Two days later my FFL called me up and said "your gun is in and you better come quick the boss ain't happy" .... I said Huh? he said "you know he doesn't do any transactions with Buds".... I said I know, what does that have to do with me? I ordered from Jet Guns.... to which he replied "Same Place"

Turns out they have a few aliases ... who knew:rolleyes:
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,108 Posts
Maybe they should post a list of people they dont like lol. I have a quircky but great FFL guy myself, guy kinda frightened me when we first met lol now were buds. If they are for real about being upset maybe its time for a new FFL.

Dan.

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been using my FFL for over 30 years... I spend a fews hours a week there busting chops... gives me great deals, I did asked them first to get me a UL, I wouldn't mind paying 50 bucks or so extra to support my LGS and they tried for two weeks with no luck. The weird thing is before I clicked the mouse I checked Buds.. none in stock.
Included in the box was a business card from GitGuns, Jet Guns and it was shipped from Security Safe Outlet all with the same address.

One of the guys at the counter did go into some detail about why they don't deal with them, however, because I cannot verify it I will not repeat here.

It's all good now... :D

· Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Interesting. Jet Guns' site says, "You can buy guns here or in our retail store, Smokin' Guns, located at 4115 Lexington Rd, Paris, KY 40361."
http://www.jetguns.com/

Bud's says, "Our Retail Store and Range", and show a photo of Gun Warehouse, at 1105 Industry Rd., Lexington, KY 40505.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php
http://www.thegunwarehouse.com/

About 20 miles apart, but appear to be separate.

Edit: a quick internet search for some internet Kentucky people that should know found that Jet Guns (Smokin' Guns) used to be owned by Buds.

· Registered
843 Posts
My local is one of Bud's recommended shops for dealer transfers & they were more than happy to receive my 452 a couple of months back. Why wouldn’t they? I paid them their transfer fee & bought a scope while I was there. There were some cheaper local FFL holders on their list but most were “DBA’s” w/ office suites listed as their place of business & I felt more comfortable w/ a “real” gun shop.
Some guys I talk to on another forum (pipes & tobacco) mention that one of their LGS’ won’t work w/ Bud’s anymore. They were told that Bud’s prices were undercutting what the shop was paying. Heck, just charge a little more for the transfer free & keep the foot traffic in the shop.

· Registered
3,425 Posts
Why wouldn't they accept transfers from Bud's? An FFL fee is better than no sale at all.
Several of my local FFL dealers wont accept from Buds. Gripe about undercutting on prices. You'd think for a $40-50 transfer fee for 20 min of their time, and not having to lay out any money they wouldn't be so fussy. Their loss as I wont do any business with them for anything else. I should ad that $20 or $30 more for an LGS price would not stop me from buying locally but when they can't get it or their price is a lot more that's when I go online.

· Registered
2,108 Posts
Several of my local FFL dealers wont accept from Buds. Gripe about undercutting on prices. You'd think for a $40-50 transfer fee for 20 min of their time, and not having to lay out any money they wouldn't be so fussy. Their loss as I wont do any business with them for anything else.
If a customer already orders from Buds the store can't stop that from happening. What they can do is sell firearms at reasonable prices because I feel most people want to deal with local shops. It can still be a big win for the LGS even when they transfer a gun, FFL fee and who doesn't want to buy accessories when they get a gun? Ammo, sling, case, scope etc.

My local LGS gave me so much crap about transferring a gun from a Internet dealer that I started doing more of my outdoor sports shopping online and guess what? I rarely shop there anymore. Now I don't have to settle on what they have in stock and generally save money by ordering online.

Because of their poor attitude they lost anywhere from 200-500 a month from me and when people at the range ask me where I bought this or that I no longer recommend my old LGS. I hated to shop online, most local shops of any kind need the business , heck the community needs the business but when I feel ostracized I'll go elsewhere.

I'm a local retail owner and my sales philosophy is to give any customer that walks through my doors the very best service they've ever had, I know I have to go above and beyond with each sale or my customers will simply go somewhere else.

Dan.

· Premium Member
58,322 Posts
I have a LGS that gets some of my business but I also have a FFL who happily handles my transfers with no hesitation.:) Lets refrain from any bashing here folks, of anyone. Thanks

· Registered
90 Posts
It's simple high-school economics, really. If you deny people from taking advantage of lower prices they go somewhere else. They don't go, "Well, gee. I guess if I can't take advantage of these low prices at this gunshop then I guess I'll just pay more and keep shopping here."

· Registered
10 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is. I bought my UL from Buds a couple of months ago. Called my FFL and told them what I had in the works and that the gun would be coming from Kentucky. They said, "Bud's, yeah we do a lot of transactions for Buds. Seems like they have pretty good prices and we've never had a problem" Thanks, that'll cost you $35 plus the $10 background check and we'll call you when the gun gets here!".

· Registered
3,425 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is. I bought my UL from Buds a couple of months ago. Called my FFL and told them what I had in the works and that the gun would be coming from Kentucky. They said, "Bud's, yeah we do a lot of transactions for Buds. Seems like they have pretty good prices and we've never had a problem" Thanks, that'll cost you $35 plus the $10 background check and we'll call you when the gun gets here!".
That's exactly the way my favorite FFL operates. :bthumb:

· Registered
843 Posts
Mine also charges $45.00. I was in there Sunday gawking at pistols w/ my brother when I noticed they had 452 magazines. Not only did they have them in stock the price was good; I got a steel 5 shot for $29.95 & a poly 5 for $22.95. I've not seen any 452 magazines anywhere around here & was resigned to having to order a few & have to pay shipping.
The guy who helped us said that CZ sales have been going good for them & that they can't get enough pistols in to satisfy the demand.

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Mine charges $15, including the background check paperwork and phone call.
I also pay $15 for a transfer. I also know of a pawn shop that will do the transfer for $20. I have a GA carry permit which satisfies the background check so a phone call is unnecessary.

If a dealer quoted me a charge for the phone call, I'd want to know if it was a federal or state agency as the Federal call is free to the dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.