Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This started out as a project to build a dedicated rifle for after-dark pest control. For years I've struggled with standard scopes or open sights and a flashlight to clear my perimeter of four legged critters hell-bent on fresh poultry for supper. I decided I needed something a little more purposeful. As is per usual, I wore myself out examining my options and researching. I figured I'd be money ahead to just build the 10/22 I already had. This rifle started life as a black laminate stainless carbine. It's already been built once then returned to stock. This would have to be a military style build with accessory rails and a forward grip. The further I got into it, the more I realized that this could be a really fun rifle and not just a utilitarian tool. I wanted to primarily rely on a red dot sight for night use but also maintain an iron sight option. I came real close to using an Evo stock but that would've meant rail mount flip sights that may or may not have worked. I was enamored with the Tech Sight setup and knew it would work with the Tapco T6. Some pictures posted here really got me going with these two components. I added an XS white stripe front sight blade to the TS tower. I did a lot of testing before going any further and it worked perfectly for what I needed. The two apertures work perfectly for 50yd and 100yd zeros. I also added a Viking Tactics V-Tac sling and it's been the best $40 I ever spent. Very impressed with its use.

Now to a scope and how to mount it. A red dot sight would've been easy, I actually tried one on the forend rail and it worked great. Wanting a little more utility and range, I looked for other options. The Millett 1-4x Tactical model with illuminated reticle would offer the best of both worlds. It sports the close range capabilty of the red dot with longer legs when zoomed to 4x. Perfect! It looks a little too big because of its 30mm tube but I think function will outweigh that minor aesthetic flaw. Warne rings are my gold standard for rugged good looks and consistently returning to zero. Butler Creek scope caps keep the glass clean.

The mount was gonna be tricky. The Tech Sights peep used the rear two holes so browsing the catalogs I realized that the Volquartsen picatinny extended scope base could be made to work with some modifications. This would involve turning the base backwards, drilling and tapping some extra holes in the receiver as well as machining the base. Rather than trying to explain my 'vision' to a gunsmith over the phone, I swapped my neighbor out of his 50yr old Logan 10"x24" screw-cutting lathe. Atop that I affixed a Palmgren milling fixture and I was in business. Picture a vertical mill turned on its side. With a selection of cutters, drills and taps, I was able to D&T four extra holes in the receiver, cut four extra holes in the scope base, cut fillister head countersinks and stabilize the rear of the base with a 4-40x½" set screw all the way through mount, rear sight and receiver. I also had to relieve the extension that was intended to hang over the barrel, so that it could now hang over the rear sight. Took over 1/8" off its thickness, then dressed the corner with a 1/4" ball mill. Cut off one notch and beveled the end. Turned out perfect! Just had to file the top of the TS rear sight flat for a smidge of clearance. The base is held in place with a total of six 6-48 stainless steel, fillister head screws. The holes all line up and the bonus is that if I ever decide to, I can always flip the mount around for strictly scope use.

Finish work. I knew from the start that I wanted it OD green. I decided to use Brownells Aluma-Hyde II because I could apply it with a spray can and it did not require baking. I always wanted a blast cabinet so I bought one of those too. Blasted the parts with 120grit aluminum oxide and sprayed the receiver, barrel, triggerguard, trigger, Power Custom magazine release, the scope mount and screws with the stuff. So far I'm impressed with how it turned out.

Finishing things off is a Daniel Defense offset light mount with a TacStar T9 weaponlight. It's attached to an accessory rail I bolted to the side of the forend and mounted so that I can manipulate it with my left thumb, rather than a tapeswitch.. There is also a picatinny bipod adapter for the little 6-9" Harris bipod. This will be removed most the time. Plus three Tactical Inc 25rd magazines, a TKO buffer, VQ target hammer, Power Custom extractor and now I forget where I got the oversized bolt handle. I also blasted the exposed side of the bolt and cold blued it with Brownells 44-40.

It took about four months of planning and work but it finally all came together quite nicely. It was fun to build but should be more fun to use. Should be great for those armadillos that I can't seem to get rid of too. The pictures were taken in haste this afternoon. It's been rainy and everything wanted to fog up, including my camera. Couldn't stand to wait for better weather! I'll post more later if anybody is interested.

Not exactly gonna lose it in the grass.

Check out my machine work on the base. Not bad for an amateur!

· Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've also got a TacInc. 16.5" threaded barrel to play with. Probably start paperwork for a suppressor soon but for now I've got a Phantom flash hider for "cool" factor. I also plan on mounting the TS front sight on it once I work out the height issues with the available dovetail bases. I might also blast and spray the scope rings green.

· Registered
71 Posts
well.. i have to say you have one nice looking 10/22 there.. mine is a very similar build.. i went with all black look.. got a replacement hand guard directly from tapco today to replace the one i got with my kit that was dark green.. need to add that and i have a bipod on backorder.. just waiting for it to ship and mine will be complete for now.. i do however want to get a bull barrel and threaded.. im wayin the pros/cons of paying the $200 tax and getting a supressor.. it would be overkill but it would look cool as hell.. just dunno if i can afford it with a baby coming in august..

congrats on an awesome looking 10/22..

· Registered
3,399 Posts
Nice, like the OD Green setup. Good attention to detail, very subdued appearance. Should work well for 4-legged pests. What ammo is it favoring, or have you had a chance to test several types in it yet?

· Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much!

I've tested a bunch of different loads in it. I've actually had it about 15yrs now in varying forms. I was hoping it would show a strong preference for Velocitors, Power Points or one of the hyper velocity loads and while it's a little more consistent, there's not really enough difference to justify the cost. So I'll just continue to use the Remington Golden Bullet bulk HP's. Not for what I'll use it for. I think I do still need to test Remington Subsonics in it though.

· Registered
13 Posts
I'm almost with you (well, quite a bit to go, but externally almost there)...I've got the stock 10/22 RR model, fitted into an olive-green Tapco 10/22 stock. I purchased it 2nd hand, with the bottom-front part cut away a bit to reveal the "integral rail" there.

To me, the TI-25 mags are a must (I've only got 4, though), and I mounted a Fakepoint red-dot on the forwardmost top-rail. I've got the Tech-Sights, which sit high enough for me that I don't find it necessary to use the "bent arm" Tapco bar.

I'd still like to mount a nice scope, bipod and laser on the outside, and put in a VQ extractor on the inside...;)

· Registered
1,767 Posts
OD green...Looks awesome man! I wish they had one when I bought mine at the gunshow.

I am not feeling the bent look with an AR stock yet. My time with the FMF brainwashed my idea of what a collapsible stock looks like. If it helps you shoot better, then who cares tho? Again...nice look!

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Man HR218,I thought I was addicted...they need to double up on your meds....:rolleyes:
LOL...you see me comment alot huh? Unfortunately I was at a desk for 3 months so I have been sneaking onto RFC on the night shift. I pretty much only hang out in the tactical section. My time at the desk is over so you probably wont see me on here as much now. (maybe?)

Lately I have seen fivepointstar and rotoryeye on the tactical forum just as much as me. hbk, I see you post ALL OVER RFC!

· Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very much for the kind words. Sorry it took so long to respond, haven't checked in for a while.

thinking...Funny, after all that, all I've popped with it was one armadillo and one feral cat. Worked wonderfully in the dark though, can't complain one bit.

Fanner50....yes, those were taken with a Canon digital Rebel SLR. So nice to use a real camera for a change.

thinsley....the finish has done perfectly. So far no wear, no scratches or scrapes. My anal retentiveness in the prep work has really paid off.

HR218....yeah, the bent stock tube does look funky but it really works better for this setup. The straight tube looks a lot better but is just too high for the open sights.

Jeff2214....about what you'd expect from a stock barrel. Around an inch at fifty yards. Not great but good enough. I have yet to test it with the TacInc. threaded barrel I have for it. Maybe this spring I'll put a front sight on it and test it.

· Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks!!! I'm still tickled with how it turned out. Need a good pic of the top, showing the extra holes I milled in the base. No to show off or anything. ;)

I'll post more pics when I get the new light put on. The Magpul foregrip looks good too and I was able to stuff four spare batteries in the pistol grip without rattling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.