Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Specs so far. Started as 1983 vintage carbine with Bushnell 4x scope.

Bolt reworked/jeweled by Que.
Stock barrel reworked by Que. Front sight removed, set back and rechambered.
Tier 3 trigger job by Brimstone Gunsmithing.

Took it to the range on Friday with a variety of ammo. Almost all produced "okay" groups but best was with Wolf MT. Couldnt get the pic to post but several groups were smaller than a dime at 25 yards. Should be plenty of room for improvement with all the normal "SS" mods yet to be done. Also need to knock the rust of the old trigger finger and get a better scope.

Looking forward to trying some of the games!

34,874 Posts
Hey nice looking Carbine. Accuracy will come as you tune on it and you.

These little rifles bounce around a lot and for me they have shot better with a firm grip. Also usually the further back you have the front bag on a Carbine seems to shoot better. Then the is barrel band or no barrel band. Some shoot better with. Some shoot better with out.

Then there is the torque used on the take down. If none of that works sand out the barrel support in the tip of the stock and replace with inner tube and move that tube back and forth untill you find the sweet spot.

Many ways to tune a 10/22 SuperStock. oh and

WELCOME TO SuperStock!!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not refinish it as it is in near mint condition (until I dropped it off the bench and put a big bruise on the fore end. Its may not be quite as dark as it appears in the photo but it is pretty close. I wasnt sure if I would like the look with the front sight cut off but it is growing on me. I have also acquired a couple of sporter stocks that I am going to use for my final version. Not sure how much I well get to work on it as a work for a farm machiner company and the early spring is making us very busy.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I actually was shooting off my hand on top of a hard plastic block at the county range as I dont have any bags or rests of my own yet so I think it did pretty good. I think I am going to sand out the barrel band next so it is floating and see if that makes any difference. I dont get to go to the range very often so evaluating these changes is going to take a while. I think I am going to get a Mueler APV scope for it as the old 4X just isnt enough to unblur the small sighting dots as my eyes get older.

34,874 Posts
Couple things:

APV is an excellent choice. I think I have 5 or 6 of them:eek::D:bthumb:

Free floating a 10/22 barrel is usually a bad idea. The rifle has only one screw holding it into the stock. That screw is pretty close to the balance point of the barreled action and they have a tendency "Teeter Totter" if there is no support under the barrel. That is why Ruger puts a front support in every 10/22 they make. If you do sand out the barrel channel get some inner tube material or something similar (I have used playing cards, business cards and even just the cardboard from cartridge box to experiment with. Try the two extremes first. Try some just in front of the action and then a piece right out at the tip of the forearm. Those are the two places that most people use.

I usually glass bed my rifles and with the 17" GMHT barrels I have found a "sweet spot" that works with every one I have done. But this last rifle (Ricochet's Tribute) I decided to use inner tube rubber. With it in front of the action the rifle sprayed shots. The guy the rifle is named for was one of the people that helped me start this forum and a great guy. He always put a strip right out at the end of the fore arm so I cut a piece and laid it in there. Right away with no other change the rifle shot .7XX and .8XX groups consistently at 100 yards. This is something that is quick to change (under 5 minutes) and a couple groups tell you right away if you went in the right direction or not.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input Vincent. Actually the pad out on the fore arm was part of the plan with working over the barrel band. With limited range time I wont make too many changes without trying different ammo first. I forgot to even take the brick of CCI SV with me that I had bought just for this rifle...duh...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.