Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My son is a new CZ owner - and 1st in the family to own one

619 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Earl Baugher
Long story short, my son has earned some money with the intent to by himself a new bolt action. His efforts finally paid off today. We found a 452 Silhouette (sp?) that floated his boat, so it went home with us. This is his first purchase (sorta - him being 15). Anyway, we got home, wiped her down, put a very thin layer of oil around the bolt and installed it. We then found a spent 22 case, pulled the trigger, and I was impressed. It has some pre-travel, but I detected no creep and it broke well - not quite like glass, but way better than most factory triggers I have felt - had to be in the 2-ish pound range. He is 6 feet tall and it just seemed to fit him well. If the accuracy holds up to what CZ's are known for this one should serve him well for years.

We stopped at the LGS and I bought a set of Leupold 11mm dove tail rings. He will now earn the money for his scope. So we have time to idea shop here - I just did not want to put the whole deal of getting him set up on his shoulders so I bought the rings.

To the hive members who are familiar with the CZ I would like to ask a couple of questions: 1) Can the pre-travel be eliminated? (not a big deal by any means - just curious as the trigger was impressive). 2) I want to get him at least a couple of spare mags - where are the best deals? I did go through several pages of this CZ sub-forum looking for some of this info, but nothing jumped out at me and the search function was acting odd.

If anyone has anything they'd like to just toss out there for our consumption other than that posed above, I'd be interested in your comments as this is the 1st CZ to reside in our home.

Thanks all and I look forward to hearing from you.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,228 Posts
:) You done something right your son has good taste picking a CZ. You said he is 6 foot tall, can he whip you yet? :D Take up is normal on a lot of guns and I think you and your son will get used to it after shooting it for a time. You will get where you won't pay any attention to it. You can buy this kit to take up any creep and make the trigger lighter. A lot of people here on the forum buy this trigger upgrade including me. Don't worry it is very inexpensive and easy to install. There is a how to do on Youtube that is very good. Don

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZ-452-455-...aultDomain_2&hash=item2566dfee27#ht_500wt_952

· Registered
5,637 Posts
You didn't mention cleaning the bore and I'd strongly advise doing that. CZ puts a preservative in the bore and it should be taken out before firing the first time.

Congratulations to your son for making a wise decision. He could have paid more and gotten less gun. When he's old and gray, he could still be shooting his first CZ.

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez . . . got in too big of a hurry with my response . . . . . . .

Earl - you say the Leupold rings may not fit and not to force them. What exactly are you trying to tell me? . . . could be too narrow? They are rimfire 11mm rings for what that's worth. Thanks for the alternative suggestions if I need to go there.

Hawkeye - No he can't whoop me . . . and he knows it :D. I tell him he has to sleep sometime :eek:. BTW - I really don't think I'll need a kit, the trigger is quite good. I was just curious if the pre-travel alone was adjustable. It does break pretty dog gone clean when you reach the critical point. I'm not detecting any grittiness at all when I weigh bit more onto the trigger at that point.

Viking - thanks for those sources!

· Registered
376 Posts
Earl - you say the Leupold rings may not fit and not to force them. What exactly are you trying to tell me? . . . could be too narrow? They are rimfire 11mm rings for what that's worth. Thanks for the alternative suggestions if I need to go there.
The Leupold rings are known for having sort of a sloppy, leaning fit on the side with the moveable dovetail. There was another thread recently that included pictures of this and perhaps the person who posted there will do so again. Just be forewarned that the Leupold rimfire rings don't generally get a lot of love on here. BKL and Burris Signature Zee rings (with the J&P adapters for the latter) are the preferred setup. CZ rings also provide a very accurate fit and a stout mount for your scope.

BTW - I really don't think I'll need a kit, the trigger is quite good. I was just curious if the pre-travel alone was adjustable. It does break pretty dog gone clean when you reach the critical point. I'm not detecting any grittiness at all when I weigh bit more onto the trigger at that point.
The trigger isn't adjustable for take-up without the use of a kit. What the kit does is shim that pre-travel out of the overall trigger pull. It may also be used to reduce sear engagement, so that the length of travel required to release the sear can be the minimum necessary for a safe trigger pull (and this should be tested carefully). The kits also include lighter springs, with which you can adjust the weight of the pull require to release the sear. Some people have had good results with a simple spring from the hardware store (Ace #144 is often cited as a good one).

There is a lot of material on this - CZ triggers are one of the easiest to improve using very simple and understandable methods and materials that cost next to nothing. Check Sophia's sticky for the Poor Man's Trigger Job (PMTJ) or the improved, revised PMTJ.

I'm sure your son is going to enjoy his new Silhouette!!

Pete

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
Congrats, Fletch, you son has a great rifle! :bthumb:

Mid-South Shooters Supply usually has CZ mags at a good price, so does CZ Custom and MidwayUSA.

If you want to eliminate the pre-travel on the CZ trigger, a Yodave trigger kit (search CZ 452 on eBay) is a 15 minute installation and will do the trick! Or you can use a poor man's trigger job (PJMT - see the stickies at the top of the forum) to get the travel out of the trigger with very little time and money. :)

Lot's of good advice on the rings -- I like Warne 7.3 22 rings, Burris Deluxe Steel rimfire rings, and Burris Signature rimfire rings (dovetail mount) or Burris Signature Zee rings (fit on a Weaver rail -- JnP sells nice adapters). Ring height depends on the scope parameters....

So, what scope are we considering? Fixed, variable, magnifcation (ranges), and price range? Tell us what you son is looking for and we'll share what we know. :)

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok - thanks for the clarification guys. Those weaver adapters sound like a good option as I am personally extremely fond of the Burris Signature Zee rings. I'll look for the Warne rings for comparison. Good advice is why I lurk this forum a lot, and nothing beats picking the brains of those who have already been down the path ahead of you.

As far as the scope goes, I have no doubt that we will be looking at a variable . . . either 2-7 or, most likely, a 3-9 power. It's main purpose is hunting tree rats. It will get a little range time, but nothing serious there. It's meant to be a working gun.

I also hope this CZ likes CCI subsonic HP's. I really like these as they are deadly on squirrels and do so without the crack that goes with most other hollow points. I have a Belgium Browning T-bolt that likes these well enough for hunting that I shoot nothing else in it. I have a lot of confidence in the T-bolt and subsonic HP's in the woods. They git-r-dun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.