Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY RW Blaster is here! Now a ? about finishing it

Got a great surprise today my UDI Rosewood blaster came!! It wasn't supposed to be here till 4-15 so I am very excited so now it is off to the store to get sandpaper.

But I have a question about finishing it I have read a lot of post about trueoil and tung oil but not sure what to use .

I don't want to darken the wood just protect it and make glossy

Again thanks for all the help :t

Shooter

·
Registered
590 Posts
True Oil will bring out the highlights of the grain (and any sanding errors)...meaning it darkens the dark grain of the wood but not the lighter wood. But it won't darken the stock otherwise.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Well,

Tru Oil made by Birchwood and Casey, will darken it slightly! Slightly Only.

I have a friend that bought an electric blue and grey laminate. It darkened the blue just a bit, But OH DID it bring out the Blue. Really made it look metalic.
Sorry not sure on the Tung Oil.
Dean_311

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Tung Oil is an entirely clear finish, and won't "darken" wood any more so than wetting it with water. It just deepens and enriches the colors, and makes them look better!

I wet my stock several times during the week or so I sanded on it, just to see what it would look like, and to help make the grain stand up, so the surface would be even smoother after sanding ('course let it dry before commencing sanding again).

Here's mine after most of the sanding, and before any Tung Oil was applied:

Unfinished Rosewood Blaster

And here it is after several coats of Formbys Tung Oil:

Blaster on my Range

I'm pretty sure Tru Oil is a clear finish, too...... and it will also darken wood the same as wetting it with water, as will any oil finish, and probably the clear polys and urethanes, too........

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realy like the way this one looks I got the Pics from the sight but I can't remember who it belongs to does anyone know whaat was used on this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
oil finish

Hi
Tru oil will slightly darken your stock. If you use it, use it first from the jar. Rub in 4 or 5 coats and you must sand lightly after every coat, just leveling the finish each time and not removing what you just put on. Then the last two or three coats use Tru oil from the spray can to get a good looking finish. If you don't want the high gloss finish when this is completed, you can use a product called stock glaze which will give you a satin finish when you are through rubbing it out. I have never used this product, Watco danish oil, on gun stocks, but I use it all the time on furniture. No reason why it shouldn't work and it is much easier to use then Tru Oil. It will not dry on the wood, but will dry IN the wood. Thus making it quite waterproof. Four coats of this should give you a very nice finish. On the last coat, you can use a very fine grit waterproof sandpaper while keeping it wet with the oil and sand,polish, to a finish that will be unbelievable. What ever finish you might use, be sure to sand your stock until it feels like a bone. Watco oil comes in a clear finish or other colors of your choice, such as walnut, light or dark, golden oak, cherry etc. They also have a hand applied poly that will go right over the oil if you so desire, and that comes in high gloss or satin. This is also made by Watco Oil products. good luck.

·
Registered
595 Posts
blaster

sure wish mine would come it's been over nine weeks and still waiting.of course mine is a finished nutmeg and they said last week it takes a little longer.if anyone wants one before mid-summer,i would order it now.:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
encorebilly sorry to hear that

I was very happy when it came early
I am sanding it now the grip is a little thick so I am working on that I would like to put finger groves in it like the one Hawk did but not sure if I want to do that much right now (Hawk if you read this how hard was it to do)

Thanks for all the advice guys :t
I am still debating on what to use to finish it

Does anyone know who's rifle it is that I posted above? I would realy like to know what finish was used on it.

Thank D

·
Registered
169 Posts
pics or description

Hello again, I was wonderign what finish you would go with, the Tru Oil or Tung Oil? Plus does anyone have any pics where I would be able to see the difference between them. I think I want to have my stock alittle darker than tung oil but if I was going to apply more coats will it darken it more? How many coats did you put on your stock and how much of the Tung Oil or Tru Oil did you use?

I'm still puzzled as you can tell on what finish I'm going to use.

lazyeh

·
Registered
33 Posts
stock finish

Hey Guys

I just finished my Gatewood stock in rose wood.If you PM me I will send you some pics.
My pay pal hasn't been activated so I cant post pics.

Cal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.