Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok people.
after a month or so of harassing here in the forum, here we go!!

I have to decide what to order. Shooting licence: check. Money to spend: check. Rifle availability: check. Places to shoot: check (well, sorta).

OK, here's where i hear your last call about... then i'll buy.
The contenders are, both in .22 Long Rifle:

- CZ 452 Varmint -
Pros: Availability, good finish quality (heard of, not seen others but seems very well made), better wood, good reputation, good accuracy (heard here).
Cons: pretty standard, no thumbhole. No 453 available in Italy :(

- Savage MK II BTVS -
Pros: Accutrigger (that'why i begun searching for a cz453), nice techs on the barrel (button rifled, stainless bolt), thumbhole straight stock, plus looks that brings. Good accuracy OTB (also heard here).
Cons: not so known here, wood worse than CZ (at least at sight, dunnow quality). Maybe, don't know yet, difficult to get accessories.

Ok now. My first concern is: accuracy. AS FAR AS I KNOW, (and you were my info source :D) the CZ has very very good accuracy but the savages also got a very good reputation for accuracy out of the box.

Now, i'll shoot at 50mt (58yrds) and beyond, maybe not over the 120mt (131yrds). I'll go to range to do some target punching (no "serious" benchrest, beware), plinking, casual shooting.
I'd like to know... if THERE is accuracy for both guns in these uses. Here in Italy both guns stands about 500 €, so price is not a choosing factor here.

Actually i'm more for the savage. First because the accutrigger, second for the quality heard of them, also the sleeker look.

Your advice then. Is a CZ so WAY better in accuracy to overcome the savage and it's accutrigger? Or the savage (or both guns) has the same accuracy level and is only a matter of taste?

Many many thanks...

Next to this, my new rifle :bthumb:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
the cz, with the set trigger, blows away the accutrigger. the cz, and the savage are both accurate, you are correct; but generally speaking, the cz is accepted as usually being more accurate. And sometimes you will get a cz with not only beautiful wood, especially if your dealer can open a bunch of boxes and look for you, but sometimes you will get one with such accuracy , it makes your jaw drop open and you think to yourself, " I had no idea such accuracy .... was capable from me!"

·
Registered
607 Posts
oo_Blade_oo

I have both of these rifles and I would without a doubt take the CZ 452 or CZ 453 over the Savage. The CZ has better wood, fit, finish and quality of the action and barrel.

The actions are of very high quality and heat treated on the CZ. The action of the Savage seems to be softer and made out of a piece of bar stock with no care for the finished item. The action is just mass produced. The bolt of the CZ is heat treated and has the safety on the rear of the bolt. The Savage is not heat treated that I can tell and has the safety that blocks the trigger.

The barrel of the CZ is hammer forged the Savage is button rifled. I believe the hammer forged barrel is superior to the Savage button rifled barrel.

Magazine release for the CZ is much easier to use than the Savage. CZ reciever has a dove tail cut in it for the scope mounts where the Savage is drilled and taped for the scope mount bases.

For the triggers the Savage accutrigger is superior to the CZ452 out of the box. However you can modify the CZ452 trigger to suit your requirements very easy.

As for the thumb hole stock it is not as tiring to use the CZ stock as it is to use the Savage. I get tired of placing my thumb thru the hole in the stock as opposed to just wrapping my hand around the stock to fire again.

In general the CZ is a far better built and a superior rifle in my opinion. I also have accuracy with a variety of ammunition to be superior with the CZ. If they are about the same price get the CZ.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
That's awesome! What kind of ammo were you using?
top 3 are SK match. middle 3 are lapua midas m. very bottom was lapua midas L, it didnt like the midas L very much. the groups were about twice as big.

mine does pretty well with SK std as well, but not as well as with the SK match. It shoots wolf ME like it shoots SK match, and wolf MT like the SK std. It does OK with eley target rifle and std, and when i say that i mean the good groups with the eley are about like the groups with MT and SK std; just not as consistent. other eley products dont shoot as well in my rifle. ive also spend time figuring out what tension the action and barrrel band screws like being torqued to. It also has to have a 15-20 rounds of foulers of a given load to shoot that tight. i also have to do my part.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
heres my 452 varmint in .22lr

and heres how it shoots 5 shot groups at 50 yards, those are 1" target circles.

I'm sure there are a number of rifles that would shoot as good as that, but I don't see how any could really shoot any better, benchrest rifles excluded, although I think it would still be pretty close! Those groups are essentially 1 ragged hole! Great looking piece of wood too! Is the rifle stock, or did you have to do a little tinkering (i.e. bedding, trigger job, etc.)? :D :bthumb:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So here we have a winner!

OK THEN!!
We have the winner. CZ 452 Varmint. No doubt i'll love the quality. That's why i asked, these are two similar rifles.

MAYBE I'll take the Savage 12 .204 ruger in the future :D hope there will be thumbhole.

Any guide for the trigger work? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I'm sure there are a number of rifles that would shoot as good as that, but I don't see how any could really shoot any better, benchrest rifles excluded, although I think it would still be pretty close! Those groups are essentially 1 ragged hole! Great looking piece of wood too! Is the rifle stock, or did you have to do a little tinkering (i.e. bedding, trigger job, etc.)? :D :bthumb:
it has a brooks kit with the 2nd to lightest spring and the red shim, but that doesnt improve the accuracy of the barreled action, just makes it easier to shoot. i havent touched the bedding or anything else. just found the load it likes. with the action/barrel band bolts loosened the groups widen out fairly significantly.

i have a buddy whos 452 varmint shot like mine with the same ammo. he floated the barrel and polished the crown and now it doesnt shoot as tight. sometimes messing with them does more harm then good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep, I would go with the CZ. I just picked up my 452 American in fact and had to choose between Savage and CZ and some other contenders much like yourself. I'd heard good things about the Savage but even better things about the CZ.

As my one friend says: "The Savage is a great rifle as long as you can get over how god-awful ugly it is." Not my opinion!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nicer than before...

:D Heh, some sweet news.
I went phone whoring and i called most of the gun shops of the province. :Blasting_

I got a price range for that 452 Varmint from 410 € to 600 € !!! That's a whopping difference. Needless to say where i'm going to buy :D

SO, with almost 100€ saved, i'll buy a lot of extras (mags, cleaning, oils) and i'll make my own rifle rest because i'm working in a metal workshop so i can make everything... with metal :bthumb:

Thanks you all!! :bthumb:

G

·
I believe the Savage actions are actually made from tubing, not bar stock. Their bolts are definitely not heat treated, as one of the complaints I mentioned to Savage about mine was that it looked like the bolt wasn't heat treated properly and was showing very premature wear as a result. Their reply was that they're not heat treated at all, and the wear I was seeing was "normal." Meh. CZ makes very nice rifles, and I'm very happy with mine.
The action of the Savage seems to be softer and made out of a piece of bar stock with no care for the finished item. The action is just mass produced. The bolt of the CZ is heat treated and has the safety on the rear of the bolt. The Savage is not heat treated that I can tell and has the safety that blocks the trigger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.