·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sewing machine Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Table
Sewing machine Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Table

I bought my first Scout for the action and saw that it would make a good offhand rifle for me, short and light. So I went ahead and ordered the second one with the idea of modifying the stock and painting it. I was inspired by the green Scout done by Gerald I believe.

So I cut up the extra stock that I had, which looked like it was shaped from a 2x4 and stained. I took on the project as something fun to do and I didn’t let myself get too hung up on details. It isn’t my best work by any stretch of the imagination, but it serves the purpose.

I will work on the trigger some more and haven’t yet decided if I will go back to iron sights or use another scope, as I don’t really care for this one and I have another one available.
Richard

·
Premium Member
59,311 Posts
Nice, the Green 452 Scout came to me through David Nord who had it painted by a member named Tuck, it was originally a Pink Scout, the green was a huge improvement. (y) Enjoy your rifle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, the Green 452 Scout came to me through David Nord who had it painted by a member named Tuck, it was originally a Pink Scout, the green was a huge improvement. (y) Enjoy your rifle.

Yes, that's the rifle that inspired me. It seems to have more of vertical grip than the 457's. Once I accepted that painting was ok/good, it opened the door for changing the grip.

Wood Natural material Bicycle part Metal Fashion accessory

After cutting and rotating the grip forward I needed to add some to the bottom also. This photo is close to final shaping and getting laborious and time consuming, so I hurried it along. Priming the stock helped to get things fine tuned before painting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of paint are you all using on these?
I have painted (camouflage) a stock or two before using Rustoleum Camouflage paint in rattle cans. This was my first attempt at sponge painting and it was quicker/easier than other methods I have used. I first applied a heavy gray coat of primer all over the stock to give me something to sand. Spraying never fills pinholes so I used my finger to push the wet primer into the holes. It worked pretty well. After the sponge painting I coated it all with a clear, Rustoleum rattle can.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice, are those the BKL scope rings?
Yes, this is the first time I have used them and I think they could be lower, but none available. I have always used Area 419 rail and Vortex rings but I wanted to keep everything light for this rifle and went this way. I will try another scope soon to see how I like it, but I sure don't like this one (course crosshairs).

·
Premium Member
59,311 Posts
If I recall correctly Tuck used automotive paint on the stocks he painted, some were quite involved/decorative.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great paint job on the camo. Reminds of this CZ model I saw in my LGS a week ago. 457 Camo SS. She had a good to feel to the synthetic finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
59,311 Posts
Great paint job on the camo. Reminds of this CZ model I saw in my LGS a week ago. 457 Camo SS. She had a good to feel to the synthetic finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shorten that barrel to 16.5 inches and that would be really nice. (y) Haven't seen even a mention of that model before.

Reactions: ZMan57

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If I recall correctly Tuck used automotive paint on the stocks he painted, some were quite involved/decorative.
Yes I'm sure automotive paint would be a couple levels higher than what I did! How much time and money does one want to spend? I just wanted to modify the stock to get the vertical grip, then cover up the work that it took.

I've also been inspired by servicemen who paint their weapons before going into the field, quick and dirty and it serves their purpose. I guess I'm somewhere in-between? :)

·
Premium Member
59,311 Posts
I've got a couple of rifles I need to do the same thing you did to, nothing at all wrong with your method.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got a couple of rifles I need to do the same thing you did to, nothing at all wrong with your method.
Thanks for the compliment. I worked in engineering departments, as a designer, for many years, so my world is usually plumb, level and square! So if I have a chance to break all those parameters I usually go for it.

A few years ago I was building faux M40 sniper rifles, just for fun and to see how well I shoot them. Some of the fellows who were also doing that would paint in ways that the rifle looked used and well worn. I loved what they did but never got that creative myself.

·
Premium Member
59,311 Posts
Well I'd been thinking about just one more Scout, called Sportmans Warehouse in Greensboro and they had two Laminated stocked rifles and one plain Beech, for a bit more than $200 less I took the Beech. What it will become is up for grabs, I'd love to get a 457 Synthetic take off stock, make a light weight dedicated stay in the truck rifle but we'll just see. 6 pull average on the trigger 2.1 pounds on my Lyman electronic, no appreciable take up, likely to stay as it is for now. Removed the rear sight blade so I could move the scope forward enough with the short stock.

Picked up some Quiet Segmented 710 fps at the Shop and just got some Suppressor 45 gr Subs 950 fps, we'll see how quiet it is with the suppressor...it may be a new BY rifle if its quiet enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts