Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I'm almost done building my 2nd ultumate using the 10/22 platform (still waiting on the VQ ss w/ comp 17 M2 barrel). I got impatient waiting/researching for the right VQ barrel so I stuck a Butler Creek bull barrel on there for now. Ok, now for the good stuff:

Ruger 10/22 stainless
Hogue OM stock
Kidd trigger group
Bolt buffer
Butler Creek ss and fluted bull barrel
Leupold med. rings and base
2 40th anniversary mags
Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X40mm (new side focus)
Butler Creek Blizzard flip open scope caps

My shooting buddies think I'm crazy for spending so much time and money on a rimfire. And that I'm so anal about acurraccy. So I posted here where it can be appreciated. Took it w/ us skeet shooting yesterday just to get an idea of what it would do. At about 30yds., and me proped up on the side of a truck w/ the door open (and my shooting buddies screwing w/ me by leaning on the truck and slowly/methodically shacking it), I managed to get a dime sized group w/ 4 shots dead center of the bullseye. With a proper rest (and lack of distraction) I think this rig is capable of atleast quarter to nickel groups at 50 yds. (we may never find out if I can find the right 17m2 barrel before then). :D

· Registered
481 Posts
you've spend alot on the gun and it looks great. I hope you can get a nickel accuracy at 50 yard with a butler creek barrel than keep it. but it seems you've got top notch parts all over the rifle except for the barrel. if it doesn't match up to you degree of accuracy you might want to think about a different barrel. lija or shaw come in mine to me for the amount of money you spent on the other parts.

good shooting !!! :t :t :t

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support. It makes me feel not so crazy. :coco: I know for an ultimate this rifle is pretty tame but all my weapons are used for hunting so I have to be practical. But I am pretty low key myself, so even if they weren't used for hunting they would probably come out looking the same. Like I said this is my second ultimate using the 10/22 platform. My first was built about 10 years ago and looks very similar to the one above but it is blued and has a Leupold Vari-X III 3x9x50. I set that one up when I was heavy into squirrel hunting and needed something to reach out and get them real close to dark (and trust me it works beautifully).

shakey: The barrel is one that I had sitting in my gun cabinet for years. I got it a long time ago when a large local sporting goods store in the area went out of business (Sports Authority). I had the barrel for a long time before I had a rifle to put it on (couldn't pass up 75% off). I had it on this stainless 10/22 before but the factory trigger was so bad I couldn't get it to group right so I took off the barrel and stored it and put the 10/22 back to original form and used it for plucking birds off limbs and such. I'm not sure what I will do w/ it when I get the mach 2 barrel. If I decide to get rid of it I will let you know if your serious.

· Registered
111 Posts
SubSonicSniper,
Let me know when you decide to go with the Mach 2 barrel, I have a standard SS 10/22 laminated stock thats just collecting dust I was thinking about converting to the
Mach 2. We'll have to get together with our progress.... :Blasting_

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
snipe-one: I will definitely be in touch. I only lack $6.00 in my PayPal account to get the barrel that I want (VQ ss comp.). I am trying to sell off some stuff from an old hobby that I had (reef aquariums) to finance the remainder of the build (the wife has been EXTREMELY understanding up to this point and I don't want to push it by unloading another couple hundred or so out of the check book). :D Once I finish selling the stuff off I will be able to get the barrel, bolt handle, and maybe an action job by Randy @ CPC. I want to see how the setup shoots w/ just the barrel, bolt, and existing action before I get it machined on. But if the groups aren't less than 1/2" at 50yds. I will most likely send off the action and then go from there. A friend of mine got the 17 HMR a couple of years ago and got me hooked on this little cartridge (I had another friend experimenting w/ it in the late 90's but I had limited exposure and wasn't all that impressed at the time). I have alot of "field time" w/ his rifle and I am anxious to see how the 17 Mach 2 stacks up. I originally wanted to build a 17 HMR but it was just too pricey to do how I wanted it right now so I settled on this to tide me over.

I am going to try and keep everyone posted on my results so that others can go through and use my experiences to build their rifles (as I have used this board sooooo much to build this one).

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more quick thing. So far I am very impressed w/ the new Nikon Buckmasters scopes w/ the side focus. This scope is very clear (rivals the Leupold Vari-X III on my blued 10/22). I have a Nikon on my .270 that has held up well in about a year of use and turned me from a Leupold only believer to a Nikon enthusiast. The test of the new Buckmasters scope will be to see if it will hold a zero as well as my Leupold Vari-X III on my blued 10/22 (I haven't had to sight that gun in since I originally put the scope on there over 6 years ago). Ok, I think my diarreha of the mouth is over w/ (atleast for now). :p

· Registered
111 Posts
Wow! the Nikon Buckmasters compare to the Leupold VXIII, I have 2 3.5-10X40, one on my Browning .280 A-bolt and the other on my .7MM Mag Browning A-bolt, These scopes ROCK! If I could save some money with the Nikon's that will help big time.
I hunt out west with these rifles and the Leupold outshines the other high dollar scopes
without problem. I'll have to check out these scopes, keep in touch with project Mach2 :t

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
shakey: I will let you know if I decide to sell it. Also, I hope to take it to the range and check it out under ideal conditions to see what it is capable of. If I test it out I will let you know. I do want to let you know that the bore was rusty when I mounted it on this rifle because I didn't properly grease it after I took it off the first time. But so far it has proven to affect acurracy. I think BC barrels have gotten a bad rap. I have two and the one on my blued 10/22 has always been a tack driver. The few groups I shot the other day w/ this one (ss) are looking promising.

snipe-one: I haven't had a chance to compare the Vari-X III along side the Buckmasters in dusk/dawn situations, but I have looked outside at night through each and the clarity and light transmision is impressive considering the price difference of the two (and in all fairness the Vari-X III is a 50mm and the Buckmasters is a 40mm). My main concern w/ the Buckmasters scope on this rifle will be to see how reliable it proves to be. Thats why I cited the one on my .270 because up to now it's been as advertised (although not as clear to me as the new Buckmasters). For the price (I paid $299.99 for the one on this rifle @ Bass Pro) I think they are a steal.......so far. I am still a big Leupold fan and it is hard to beat the crispness of the image, but for the price Nikon makes a darn fine scope IMHO/IME.

· Registered
768 Posts
You guys should check out sightron scopes as well. My 6-24 sightron is comparable to my vx-III 6.5-20 Leopold for a lot less money. These scopes are getting great reviews from the benchrest crowd too, so much so that for my next bench gun I am going to try 36x.

Ruger rob

· Registered
6,463 Posts
Great looking rig you got there. Imknow how youn fell about your buddies. Mine are the same way...............at least it's better than spending your $$$ on drugs and booze. Plus you take pride in your accomplishments and really have something to show for it.

swampf0x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.