Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already modified it before even taking it to the range. I installed a OnTarget Trigger shield.

Breaking it down was a piece of cake and easy to reassemble too especially after taking a look at
Mark's pictoral disassembly and assembly pages:

Mark II Disassembly Instructions

Now all it needs is a nice Aluminum Pistol Case, a scope rail and a silver Red dot on top,
maybe add some Hogue rubber grips.... a number of nickel plated magazines, .22 autoloader...
endless new place to sink whatever money my wife leaves me to play with... :p

Frame was created playing around with Alien Skin's Splat! Pretty Cool

Taking it to the range tomorrow...!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
a number of nickel plated magazines
Find a local plater that does industrial hard chroming (crankshaft journals), may cost a couple $ more. I've had hammers & sears plated after trigger work. Reduced trigger tension by 1/2 lb (original was 2 lb.) Extremely durable coating.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Plated Magazines

krelvin,

I am with 38super on the plating: go with hard chrome plating verses the nickel, as nickel plating is subject to peeling from the use of strong bore solvents, especially those used for copper fouling, as the nickel plate is put down over copper plate......! ! :(

I am surprised that Ruger doesn't offer stainless magazines for their MKII .22 cal. stainless pistols.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was just about to post those instructions!! :)

I too was thinking of the nickel plated mags from ontarget guns...

how would one go about finding a local place to do chroming? (chroming is not exactly in the yellow pages, I have found a few on the web)
what can you look for in a good place to do it? (methods to use during plating or something?)

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Electroless Nickel (EN) Finish

yzguy,
We take Brand new factory Mark II magazines and we add a special Electroless Nickel (EN) Finish. This EN plating provides superior corrosion and wear resistance. These Magazines also have that "stainless" look to match your stainless steel Ruger pistol. They also still work as well as the factory magazine since they ARE factory magazines!
[On Target Guns]
I would not be concerned about the EN, as its deposition process is entirely different than 'standard' nickel plating (it doesn't use a copper plated substrate)...... :)

M-10N - Ruger Factory Mark II Magazine with EN Coating - $19.95 Ea.
At only $4.45 more than a stardard blued magazine, if I had a SS MKII, I would go for the Electroless Nickel (EN) Finish magazines .......! ! :cool:

And, On Target Guns is a RFC Sponsor.......! ! :cool:

I can assure you, even if you do find a "plater", they won't do a 'few magazines' for you for any less.......! ! :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
I might even do both... I've got 2 blued ones now so I could plate them later.

Just ordering them and having them show up at the door is a bit easier too... :) I'll probably order a couple....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that the finish is that big of a deal. I've had other items with the same type of finish and never had flaking problems. There are apparently several different ways you can plate things and this type of plating is supposed to be very durable.

I know that some a lot of Kel-Tec's have their slides plated using the same methods and have not heard of any problems with those.

Their page has them described as:

Ruger factory magazines now available in an Electroless Nickel (EN) Finish! We take Brand new factory Mark II magazines and we add a special Electroless Nickel (EN) Finish. This EN plating provides superior corrosion and wear resistance. These Magazines also have that "stainless" look to match your stainless steel Ruger pistol. They also still work as well as the factory magazine since they ARE factory magazies!
At ~ $19 ea, I don't think I can go wrong. Will most likely get 3 or 4 of them. They are factory mags too.

Will report back after I've had them a while.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it to the range tonight.. Wow!

I shot about 250 rounds through it.

The thing is so smooth compared to anything else I have. Shoots where it is pointing when fired and has very little recoil. A lot of fun to shoot.

The trigger is fine, It is a fairly light pull and smooth. The bolt action is like butter.

I had one misfire and one jam out of the bunch. Was easy to clear and didn't do it again. That was somewhere in the 7-8 mag region.

The FTF was near the end. I just ejected the round and didn't play with it. I didn't try to fire it again so it could have been the primer or maybe a light hit??

I used two types of ammo. About 200 rounds of Remington .22 Golden Bullets (550 rnd box). These are "hollow points" although just barely in my opinion. The both the jam and the FTF was with this ammo.

The other was Remington Target 22 (solid). They were marked as Standard Velocity and I was hoping perhaps sub-sonic but I don't think so.

I didn't see any different between the two.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
To All,

I try to introduce new and experienced shooters to Action Pistol events. In particular, Steel Challenge is a decievingly difficult when pushing one's limits. My 22/45 is the pistol of choice for newbies, but my magazines have suffered from salty or acidic hands. It's my fault for not wiping the mags down with an oiled cloth after a day of use.

If your pistol and mags are used by many as mine is, then I highly recommend EN or hard chroming your mags.

Often your local gunsmith may be sending a batch to the platers. Try to tag on with the work order, and the cost will be easier to take.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.