Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to shoot my new .17 for the third time today. Man this thing is still amazing me. The other day when I shot it I shot a 100yd sub 1/4" group with the cci tnt's. Today on the way to the range, I picked up some CCI VMax 17gr and some CCI hollow points. I have been reading that most of the newer savages love the 20 grain rounds, but mine does not at all. It sprays them in at least twice as big of groups as any of the 17grains I have tried. Anyway, after a few warm up sub 1" groups at 100yds, I moved a target out to 200 to see what I could do. I shot 3 different 4 shot groups with the cci vmax 17grainers, and was very impressed to say the least. The largest of the 3 groups is around 2" give or take, the middle size group about 1.5" and the smallest of the 3 groups is around 1 and 1/16" or so. Not to bad with an old bushy 3-9 x 40....got a bushnell banner 6-18 x 40 in the mail! There was a mild crosswind that was pushing me right of the bull a couple of inches, but I just held high above the big 1" red bull and let them rip. Also went out in the middle of a big field afterwards and smoked a couple of birds at about 150yds. Man this thing is so much fun and an Awesome gun!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
New Savage...

Very nice, would like to see your 100 yd targets, keep us up to date with that new Savage...

I have a new-used Savage 93R17BV with a Mueller 8-32x44, will be test shooting it this afternoon.

I hope it shoots as well as yours.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks jamracer 21!, and yes I can't wait to get out and try 300 yds and farther. My new busnell banner 6-24 is set to arrive today, and I think it will help way out there.

Bolero, Good luck with your new Savage!, Here is a pic of the best 100yd group I shot with it so far. It is from last week on the first day the rifle came in the mail. CCI tnt 17grain at 100yds...around 1/4" or less. My old bushnell 3-9 crosshairs cover the dots at 100yds, so I use a marker to make them bigger. It will shoot every type of 17grain ammo so far that I have tried sub 1" moa. It really likes the TNTs and the CCI Vmax. Shot several 1/2" moa groups with both of those. They say most of the newer savages with the accutrigger like the 20grains best, but mine does not at all. It sprays them 1.5 to 2.5" groups at 100yds.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys. As of this past weekend, I have put around 300 to 350 shots through the rifle trying to learn the trigger, scope, bullet drop, etc. I noticed around 300 shots or so, that my groups started opening up quite a bit. I hadn't cleaned the gun since I bought it due to all the threads about them liking to be dirty. Since "dirty" seems to be a relatively personal thing for each gun and each gun owner, I got a boresnake and ran it through a couple of times until the bore looked good looking down it. It took a couple of 4 shot groups and it started shooting really good again. I put a dime, a penny, and two quarters taped on a board at 100yds. With a 5 round clip, I missed the dime the first time, and then hit all four with the next four shots. Man, I love this rifle....most fun gun I have ever shot! It makes me want to buy one in .17 mach2 so I can shoot twice as much for the same $$.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Guys, my CZ does the same thing. Accuracy drops off, it gets cleaned then it takes a few rounds to get the accuracy back. Sort of like a sweet spot. I've had my best accuracy at 200 & 300 with the 20 gr XTP Hornadys. The wind is a big issue though. I went from 4-5 inch group at 300 in the early a.m. to a 24 inch shotgun pattern group in the afternoon when the winds & thermals kicked up. I try to confine my longer groundhog shots to the later evening hours when the wind lays down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very nice, would like to see your 100 yd targets, keep us up to date with that new Savage...

I have a new-used Savage 93R17BV with a Mueller 8-32x44, will be test shooting it this afternoon.

I hope it shoots as well as yours.
Hi Bolero, I'm curious what you think of your new Mueller 8-32x44. Clear optics? How's it look when cranked up to 32 power in terms of clarity & brightness? I'm considering a higher magnification variable scope but don't want to get something that's near unusable at higher mags. Heard some nice comments on this site about Muellers, particularly considering their low price tag.

Dan

·
Registered
358 Posts
Very nice groups! I can't seem to get that kind of accuracy with my .17. I have the GV model with the plain walnut stock. I think there may be some barrel contact as the dollar bill trick is very tight in places. I'm afraid to start hacking away material from the stock. :eek:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would be too. I had to try most of the different types of ammo out there and find that the 20grains do not shoot well in mine. The TNT's seem to do the best, followed closely by the hornady vmax bullets. I would imagine a gunsmith could shave off a little from your stock pretty easily?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.