Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up at a gunshow yesterday. Didn't really know what it was when I bought it- still don't! It claims to be a "MODEL 4.22 LONG RIFLEONLY" but the action is virtually identical to CZ/BRNO. The bolt will almost interchange with my BRNO Mod. 3 & 4, but not quite. The magazine WILL interchange. It was imported by Clayco and says "MADE IN CHINA AT NORINCO ZHONGZHOU FACTORY."

Anybody know anything about this? I have heard of Norinco CZ copies, but thought they were JW....something. I searched the web and found only one result- a rifle in Australia that looks similar but not the same.

Turns out it is quite accurate, turning in groups between .6 and 1.0 inches at 50yds (I fired 4 groups). Not bad for $75 OTD with the crummy scope.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has one or knows about them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Chinese have been making copies of the Brno Model 1 action for many years. The CZ452 is the successor to the original Brno. The Chinese rifles are a bit rough, but clean up very well and are generally as accurate as the CZ rifles. They were going for under 200 here in California 5-6 years ago and at that price were a deal. You have a good rifle. Note: I believe they were dubbed the jw15.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Norinco makes good guns. I have their TU-KKW replica of the Mauser KKW German trainer rifle. Basically, their JW series rifle in a Mauser K98k style stock. It is a very good shooter. While the finish isn't on a par with the CZ, and they don't have the adjustable trigger, they are an excellent value.
I have read in a Gunsmithing book that the Chinese heat-treat the entire barrel for toughness, making them very resistant to wear, while many western rifles are heat-treated on the chamberface only.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The NS522 does not have the safety on the rear of the bolt like the CZ and the NS522 does not have a front sight. The NS522 action is more like an Anshutz than a CZ.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a JW15,

a copy of the BRNO Model 1 and if you have one you are not under gunned. The main difference between them is the manner of fitting the barrel to the action. BTW this model was preceeded by the JW9 which used the same action but was fitted with a heavier barrel and came with two stocks, a standard field stock and a target/BR stock which had a rail.

·
Registered
101 Posts
JW-15

Just read your post about the JW-15 (also called Clayco M-4) and
maybe some other names according to who imported it. FIE also
imported these I think with yet another model number.
Have bought five of these through the years. But keep giving
or trading them away. Have one now.
Look at your trigger as the early ones were adjustable for sear
engagement and overtravel. The later ones only for overtravel.
The pivot pins are loose in these and the trigger works much
better if you ream the pin holes to .1252 inches with a chucking
reamer and use hardened .125 pins. I use machine dowel pins
that you can get at machinery supply houses, they are centerless
ground to very close tolerance and make good gun pins. After
this little mod the adjustments are very exact and make a very
good trigger.
The stocks on these are soft but machine bedded well. Glass
does help them.
Got my first one about 1984 and fell in love with it. Have been
able to afford better rifles since but still like these for the low
price, good accuracy, trigger etc.
Someone mentioned hardened barrels but I don't think the JW-15
has one. The JW-8 Chinese Military Training Rifle which is also a
copy of the BRNO action in a military style stock with typical
Military sights had a hardened barrel I understand. People say
they are very accurate also but I never had one.
If you are interested in the rifle that the JW is a copy of, JG Sales
has BRNO #1 rifles available now. Very good rifle for a low price.
Good luck with your Chinese copy sewmacoil

·
Registered
457 Posts
Penguin,

You have a BRNO #3 ? Wow.

I have one of those and you are the first person I have ever heard of who also owns one.

How do you find it compared to your #4?
Is the serial number higher than 3000?
Does it have peeps or open sights?
Does it have the weird forward downwards barrel tensioner?
Got a photo?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
reg said:
Penguin,

How do you find it compared to your #4?
Is the serial number higher than 3000?
Does it have peeps or open sights?
Does it have the weird forward downwards barrel tensioner?
Got a photo?
Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to do any serious shooting with my #3 or #4. I acquired them recently and both have had issues with sights. The #3 is now ready to shoot but I haven't had time. Initially though, I like the open top of the #3 better, while the #4 seems to have a superior trigger and better off-hand "feel." Both are neat rifles and I am fortunate to own them. They have aperture sights, although I have a complete set of open sights which the #4 may have to wear, since its rear aperture sight is damaged. They have the tensioner but I don't know how to use this. If you do, please explain!

Serial number on the #3 is 4398 (or about that, I am working off a photo since the rifle is put away at the moment).

Here is a photo of the pair:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the info, Penguin. For those not familiar with brnos the one on top is the #3.

I thought I had read they only made 3000 #3s, looks like there were more.

I have 29xx. I removed the peep sights from mine, the rear sight seemed a bit wiggly.

The best way I have found to use the tuner is to remove it (and the bump in the barrel channel) and shoot with the barrel floated.

Here are a few pics I took of mine at the range last weekwhen I was shooting my March Email Match target. Sorry about the poor quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.