Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My new Neos shoots WAY high---what to do?

600 3
I shot my new Neos today for the first time. Before I say anything else, I am VERY happy with the feel and reliability of this pistol. It fed everything without a hitch. But there is one problem. It shoots WAAAYYY high. Like 3 or 4 inches at ten feet kind of high. I cranked the sights all the way down. Still high. Before I cranked the sights down, it was shooting like 6 to 8 inches high because it was totally off the paper. After I cranked the sights down, it was on the paper but 3 to 4 inches high. Now, I'm tempted to just file some off the top of the rear sight blade. The pistol groups nicely and is consistant, it just shoots very high. I'd hate to go through the rigamarole of sending a pistol back to Beretta through carriers where I don't see the weapon in transit, you know what I mean? Any reason I just shouldn't file the rear sight blade down a tad? I could take the file to the range and file a bit then shoot, file a bit then shoot, until I get center. Or should I ask Beretta for a new rear sight (as in maybe this one is defective?) I don't want to put a red dot on because I want to shoot iron sights, so I need to fix the sight problem. Aside from that, the pistol is shooting groups just fine, just high. I also tied several different ammos and they all were high.

Now, this pistol shot everything I handed to it without a hitch. This pistol is fun! Boy, the hyper velocties are lots of fun through it! I shot CCI Minimags, Velocitors, Blazers, Remington-Eley Target Rifle, Federal bulk pack HPs, and Stingers. A few hundred rounds and no reliability issue whatsoever with any ammo. I like the feel of shooting this pistol and it just feels "right" in the hand. (Which is why I need to resolve the sight issue!)

Your help is greatly appreciated.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing you may want to try first is shooting from a rest or having someone else shoot it to make sure the problem is not you. I had the same problem but not quite as extreme. The trigger job should help if this is the case. You may also want to fabricate a trigger stop as well. I used a piece of rubber from a fuel filter but a pencil eraser will work nicely. Use a black one if you can, but you can color it with a marker if you need to, it just doesn't look as good.
If it still shoots high from a rest the problem is with the gun and while filing the sight may work, I would recommend that you send it back as one of the most likely causes of the problem would be the barrel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention that I did fire the pistol from a rest. My friend fired the pistol and still shot just as high. The trigger pull on mine is actually not bad.

I just checked the sight rail and it's flush on the barrel. No burrs under rear sight.

I'm thinking now maybe I better call Beretta and have them square this pistol away. Filing the rear sight is just patching a tire with a known hole in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.