Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a new Kimber .22 Hunter on Tuesday from a Kimber master dealer and have been sighting it in the last several days. Lots of flyers. The rifle had not been loading or ejecting
any type of amo very well. (This should have been a clue) Every so often a bullet would gut hung up in the clip and jam up. So I finally decided ti cycle some bullets throught it . Here are the results. The gun is shaving the bullets.
So I called Kinber customer service and told them of my problems. The gentalman looke up the serial number and said it was out of the system. I asked what that ment and he said no warrenty and I would hace to pay for any service and shipping. Wow talk about sticking it to the customer.
Well I guess I'm on my own here. It might be something as simple as a misaligned clip something to do with the bolt. I'm open to any suggestions or experiances that might be of help.
Thanks in advance
Dave

·
Registered
382 Posts
Have you tried other types of ammunition yet? Mine will mark up SK Standard plus with rifling striations, but shoots them very well. Other types of ammo arent as tight a fit but dont shoot as well either. Have you hand loaded her by hand to see if you get the same markings? If they load well by hand, and dont disfigure, it could be a mag problem.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks I'll try that now, it came with twp mags and I wikk try hand loading
Dave
Mine came with one. A cheaper alternative to the Kimber mags

"Remington 500 series (510, 511 , 521 etc) 6 shot magazines should function"

I bought one from Brownells and it works, sticks out a little further cuz its 6 rounds and not 5 but I think they are 13.50 apiece.

It could just be that particular load that its going to have problems loading, switch out the mags, try different ammo.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Looks like you may need to tune your magazine.

Is the damage coming from the bullet hitting the top edge of the chamber or the bottom edge?

It looks like the cartridges are possibly coming out of the magazine at too low an angle causing them to hit the bottom of the chamber. I'm not familiar with the New York kimbers and if there is a feed ramp up to the chamber or not. If the is a ramp, it should smoothly end at the chamber mouth without a step.

two possible things to try ( CAREFULLY )

LIGHTLY break the edge at the bottom of the chamber with a stone so the edge doesn't dig into the bullet.

CAREFULLY open or close the front feed lips of the magazine at needed so the bullet feeds into the chamber without hitting.
If the bullet is being gouged by the top of the chamber you need to close the lips to lower the feed angle.
If the bullet is being gouged by the bottom of the chamber you need to open the lips to raise the feed angle.

If you are not sure you can do this yourself it is best to take it to someone who knows what they are doing or send it to Kimber.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, I calmed down and went to work on what is going on. When the top bullet is being dragged across the next bullet in the magizine the rim of the top bullet
scrapes the next bullet while it's still in the magizne. Tried both clips with the same results. The bullets (CCI Green tag) are being damaged before the even leave the magazine.
If I can find some Remington 500 series magazines I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
It would take some pretty high spring tension on the magazine follower to get 'em dug in that hard. You might try cutting one coil off of the magazine in the mag. Plus, look closely one more time as you feed ammo from the magazine into the chamber, and make sure it isn't the bump on the front lower part of the part scraping the bullets instead of the rim of top cartridge scraping the one below it. The first Kimber I owned needed a polishing of that bump to minimize the marks on the bullets. I have cut the spring in one of my magazines (I have two), but not the second. The one I cut seemed awfully strong and it was a chore to push ammo into the thing, so reducing the spring pressure helped some. I wasn't having any problems with ammo getting scraped up though.

I would call Kimber back and hammer them on that warranty thing though, that is BS. I don't believe he was telling the truth. If they are no longer warranting their .22's, I may sell mine and buy and Anschutz or Cooper.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Hi. I just bought a new Kimber Hunter also. Mine has been feeding perfectly, and the magazines are relatively easy to load. I think if I were you I would call Kimber customer service back and give it another go with them. I don't understand why they would not want to work with you on the issue. Maybe you can go back through the selling dealer to see if they have some influence in bringing Kimber customer service around? I really hope you can get it taken care of, because I think they are a great rifle, and it would be a shame for you to not be able to enjoy it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Many of the Kimbers have this problem with marking the bullets. It often helps to work on the bottom of the bolt some. It may also be related to bullets riding high in the mag. But I think the bolt has a sharp edge that is cutting the bullet below the one that is being fed into the chamber.

There is a part of the bolt bottom that pushes the rear rim of the brass forward into the chamber. This part is about 1/8 inch wide and will most likely have a very sharp edge that needs to be rounded very slightly and polished. This sharp edge is cutting the lead.

There is another area on the bolt that cuts the bullets below the bolt as the bolt rotates. Try lifting and lowering the the bolt handle with a full mag in the rifle a few times ( don't pull bolt back ) . Then look at the bullet on top in the mag. It will most likely be pretty messed up. The bolt can be polished to fix most of this too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
"There is a part of the bolt bottom that pushes the rear rim of the brass forward into the chamber. This part is about 1/8 inch wide and will most likely have a very sharp edge that needs to be rounded very slightly and polished. This sharp edge is cutting the lead."
Yes, Just like a little bulldozer with a very sharp edge. Once it catches the edge, it just digs in. I'll give it a slight radius and polish tomorrow.

I want to thank everone for the help and input.
I also want to disassamble one of the mags and cut the spring one notch. Now if I can remember how to do that. Ok just finished the mag mod.
Dave

·
Registered
124 Posts
Look back at your photo. It looks like there is a spot of lead on the rim of the right hand cartridge (?). If so, your first thought of mag. problem may have merit. Did you try loading the mag. and pushing the cartridges out by hand (mag. out of the rifle) to see if they mark, as a test for excess spring pressure ? Or, it could be the bolt leaving the lead deposit on the forward edge of the rim of a round still in the mag. when the bolt is retracted to eject a previous round. One would think if it is the mag. spring being too strong, the marking would happen only on the first one or two rounds fed and disappear once the spring pressure is lessened with fewer rounds in the mag., based on the thought that removing some spring would lower the pressure. If all rounds in the mag. are marked, I would concentrate on the bolt and discount the mag. as the problem. This, because it seems there should only be minimal pressure between the last two rounds anyway, and removing some spring pressure would stiil leave you with more pressure between the first few rounds in the mag. meaning those would still be marked. I hope I expressed that so it makes sense. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shortened the spring a little, reworked the mag ears as well as polished and rounded some very sharp edges on the bottom of the bolt. Works much better now. Tuning the mag is a craft onto it’s own. I had no idea that very small changes to the mag ears could make such a big difference. Currently I’m shooting CCI standard velocity 40 grain and have reached the limit with them. I’m going to move from 25 yards to 50 yards. I just have to remember the this is a hunter and not a target rifle. It sure is fun when everything comes together.
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.