Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got my first powderburner! I've been lurking here for a while, but now I'll have something to talk about. It only took 3 months to get my FID card (Taxachusetts strikes again) and a week of trying to find one in stock (Kittery Trading Post, Maine) and now I have to wait to take "orientation" for the range....I'm going to be hard pressed to get anything done until then! I wish I had a yard big enough to shoot in. It's going to be a small game gun (squirrels and rabbits around here). I'm not looking for bench rest accuracy, but I'd like to be able to kill a squirrel every time if i do my part, so I'll see how it does and then maybe do some work. I mounted a nikon prostaff 4x32 rimfire scope on it, and I'm assuming it'll need some trigger work. I'll see how the T900 trigger is (I'm assuming lawyer-iffic). I could use some suggestions on replacements...is there anything other then the rifle basix trigger? their website doesn't list the 981, but I'm assuming it will fit?

Does the the brown laminate stock from Marlin fit without a hassle?

Thanks for reading,
Ted

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a MARLIN model 81 TS, which is pretty much the same rifle as yours, just a bit older.

Mine shoots wonderfully completely stock. The only 'modification' I have done is to mount an old Tasco 3x9-32 scope.

The trigger on mine is tight, with NO creep or overtravel. It is somwhat heavy, but VERY manageable.

Here is a picture of one of my 10 shot groups using the el-cheapo Remington Golden Bullets at 50 yards.

This rifle is capable of very good accuracy with the right ammunition.

Good Shooting!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Lawyeriffic is true about most triggers out there. The rifle basixs is the way to go, i bet they advertise it under the 917, or T-900 marlin, as that's what it has. The rifle basix is the trigger you'll want to pull.

But the spring from a click pen tends to work, and if you search the forum you'll find more on that, w/ pictures.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input!

Its looking like a few weeks until i can get to a range...maybe I'll have to drive up to the mountains if i can't wait! I know Savage has a break in procedure on their site (shoot one, clean, repeat, etc) Should i worry about it that much, or just shoot some and clean out when I'm done? I was thinking after the first 5or 10 shots clean out and then after 30 or 40, then after each shooting session. Does that sound reasonable?

-Ted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.