Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My New CM-2

2496 45
My new CM-2 from MT Guns arrived today and I picked it up from the receiving dealer about 2:30 this afternoon.

Opening the box I pulled out the rifle (no bolt in it), a large white bag of dessicant, the rear sight assembly and the accessories box with the sling wrapped around it. OK..... where's the BOLT?? After a couple of minutes of near panic I realized that the white bag of dessicant wasn't dessicant at all: it had the bolt in it! DUUUUUH!!

The Inspection Certificate shows that the rifle went through Quality Control inspection and test firing on 27 April, 2007. The test group of 10 shots at 50 meters measured 7mm extreme spread or .2755"..... impressive IMO.

A patch with Hoppe's #9 through the bore followed by clean patches showed that it was clean so it was off to the range. Once the rifle was on the bench I attached the rear sight assembly and bore sighted it at 50 yards.

Setting my target frame up at 25 yards I fired 10 shots and adjusted the sights for a center strike. It had an aperture insert in the front sight and I fired my first 10 shot group using CCI Standard velocity cartridges. This is what the rifle did:

All I could say was WOW!! Then I moved the target frame out to 50 yards and changed the front sight insert to a post. Using Wolf Match-Target cartridges I shot four groups of 5 shots each. The upper left target was first and the single shot out of the group was the first shot fired. I made sight corrections - the wrong way - and shot the upper right target. I made further sight corrections in the proper direction and shot the lower left target and then the lower right target. The average size of the four groups is .398". The target is below:

I like my #4 BRNO rifle and it shoots well but my first impression of the CM-2 is that it's a more accurate rifle and now I need to figure out how I'm going to mount a scope on it.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Looks like a real shooter. Scoped, it should be .2 on average. My test target was 8 mm for ten shots, and scoped it's at .2 and occasionally shoots .1 groups. Mine came with the fully grooved dovetail, so no problem mounting a scope. These rifles a lot of bang for the buck!

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments, OS. The front of my receiver is not grooved but I've been doing some research and B-Square makes an airgun mount that clamps to the dovetail and has a Picatinny/Weaver rail which should work just fine. It's advertised to fit 9.5 ~ 13.5mm rails and should work on the CM-2. That will permit me to mount a scope but also use the receiver sights if I want.

I have a fair number of .22 rifles but my initial impression is that this CM-2 is the most accurate. Your testimony of how yours shoots only serves to reinforce that impression. :)

Let me add that anyone looking to buy a CM-2 should move quickly as prices are going up. R&R has increased their prices by about $80 and Mac Tilton of MT Guns says he can sell at the old prices only so long. They are indeed a great bang for the buck!

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Nice shooting....doubs43 :t and with open sights :eek:
I wish I could have been there to see the look on your face.
I bet it looked like this.....:D
I found my 1st target I shot with my CM-2 Cadet.

I remember the day well I had an 15-20 mph cross wind & had to time my shots
between wind gusts. My CM-2 is not to fussy about ammo but it really
likes German ammo. Wolf, SK, Rws.

I truly believe if Izhmash would Americanize there rifles they would have a
hard time keeping them on the shelf.

Swiss

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Congrats on the rifle. I'm still loving mine and it still shoots way better than I do.
I do have a correction to make on an earlier post I made somewhere about my trigger pull. I had it tested yesterday and it turned out to be 20 oz. No way would I have guessed that. Whatever, I'm still shooting very well with the rifle and fairly cheap ammo.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
i keep shooting mine

partly because it does what's it's supposed to without
a lot of fuss or bother one time didn't clean it for about
400 rounds it was still doing great, has not once had a
failure to fire it likes wolfe mt just fine not much too complain
about especially the price. good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yesterday I lost a lot of time at the range because of rain.... over an hour and a half with some of it very heavy. Sooooo....... this evening I went back and shot the CM-2 some more. I wanted to shoot some targets for the Cheap Ammo competition and made some targets with one inch wide vertical bars with a narrower horizontal bar. For open sights it still wasn't wide enough to see very well at 50 yards so I shot them at 25 yards. Even then, sighting wasn't easy but I managed to shoot well enough to qualify each of the "cheap" cartridges I tried.

I'll post the targets in the SSB Cheap Ammo thread tomorrow.

Mr. O, don't torture yourself any more. Go buy a CM-2. You won't be disappointed, I promise! :t

Thanks to everyone else who has commented. It's good to know that others are having the same results from their CM-2 rifles.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Mr. O, don't torture yourself any more. Go buy a CM-2. You won't be disappointed, I promise! :t.
Haha, yea I want one but its a money/time thing. I don't have enough of either to get one in my hands, especially after the two pawn shop buys. The Marlin 81 is really shining though, so perhaps it'll quell my CM-2 desires since it too is a peep sight gun. If not, maybe the 511 will start to really shine when I get the peep sight on it. hehe

my pawn shop guns thread in SS/B

·
Registered
853 Posts
Well, I just might end up with one of these. Rigrat mentioned that CDNN has them listed at $299 for their summer sale so I checked the catalog... bad idea! I also sent off an email to my FFL, who has already replied with the go ahead since CDNN already has his FFL info.

They are used CM-2s with 'rough wood' and 'good to great metal' including sights and all. I'm going to ask a little more about them before I order, but I can see one of these in my future.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I just might end up with one of these. Rigrat mentioned that CDNN has them listed at $299 for their summer sale so I checked the catalog... bad idea! I also sent off an email to my FFL, who has already replied with the go ahead since CDNN already has his FFL info.

They are used CM-2s with 'rough wood' and 'good to great metal' including sights and all. I'm going to ask a little more about them before I order, but I can see one of these in my future.
Good for you. I hope you're able to swing it. Even if well used, the CM-2 should be like the older BRNO rifles and still shoot like they're new. Construction is robust and even a GI would have trouble hurting one! ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Haha :)

I'll definitely be able to swing it, but $500+ would be a stretch. I have been looking around at the information here in the forum, and the one in CDNN's catalog looks like the Version 4 with rounded trigger guard and the. I know the picture may not be representative of the rifle, but from reading here it sounds like it especially with the mention of rough wood. The walnut part is throwing me off however.

Here's the ad:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Update: I called CDNN and ordered one of the CM-2s. Total cost $322 and change, it'll be shipped to my FFL who I'm selling some 10/22 barrels to. I think he charges $10 for a transfer, so I'll get $40 back from him when I go pick it up. It shouldn't take long to get here, considering its only a 4 hour drive from Abilene to OKC and they said they'd get it shipped out today.

When it gets here I'll get some pics and start a thread for anyone interested. They did say there was a few of them left, but I didn't ask how many.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I called CDNN and ordered one of the CM-2s. Total cost $322 and change, it'll be shipped to my FFL who I'm selling some 10/22 barrels to. I think he charges $10 for a transfer, so I'll get $40 back from him when I go pick it up. It shouldn't take long to get here, considering its only a 4 hour drive from Abilene to OKC and they said they'd get it shipped out today.

When it gets here I'll get some pics and start a thread for anyone interested. They did say there was a few of them left, but I didn't ask how many.
Outstanding and I hope you get a nice one. Did you ask about accessories that come with the rifle or is it one insert for the front and one diopter for the rear? The rear sight adjustments are pretty fine and work positively. They seem to be very well made..... just like the rifle.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I hope so too!

I knew I forgot to ask something, I forgot about the accessories. I got too busy asking about the condition, which he said was average to good, and worrying about my FFL's info being correct, etc.

Wonder what apertures I could order, if need be, to use with the front globe on the CM-2?

Also, does yours have the adjustable sling mount on the forearm, or no? I see it in the pictures on MT Guns but not in the CDNN picture.

I'm very eager to get my hands on this rifle and shoot it.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
i bought a cm-2 new

in the box was a rear sight a set of front sight discs. a wooden cleaning rod
and a sling and an owners manual, it comes with an adjustable upanddown
butt plate and a front adjustable handstop. has an adjustable trigger that
stock will go down to 1andhalf lb of pull. new ones the cadet anyway comes
with a front and back rail for scope mounting. all are single shot.

·
Registered
853 Posts
From what I understand, reading the russian rimfire forum, all the CM-2s come with metal cleaning rods, but they have a wood coating on them. Looking at the one for my Biathlon Basic, it is definitely wood, but it looks like it could be a coating over something else by the texture of it. I've never used it and don't feel like cutting into it to test that either, lol. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.