Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my new rifle out this morning for its trial run. while I still need to get some higher rings for the scope, I wanted to try it out.

all was well, until I fired the first shot. the magazine dropped out of position. first thoughts were 'operator error', and pushed it back in. unfortuneatly, it wasn't me. the mag would come loose every time I cycled the bolt. :mad:

logged on here and did some searching and found the problem in this thread;

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90198&highlight=magazine

I'll get the dremel out this afternoon. thanx to member "me!" for the tip and pic. :D

meanwhile, back at the range....... I continued shooting, just had to keep pushing on mag during cycling.

only fired about 45 rds. it was so steamy out, my glasses were fogging up. :(

only shot from the 50yd bench. best 5 shot group was this 3/8" with federal. :D

I just need to fix the mag, get different rings, and play with the trigger.

I think it'll be a keeper then. ;)

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
nippr,

this may sound dumb, but did you push the mag between the thick rail and the thin piece that are kinda touching each other ?? that thin piece holds the mag against the mag guide. if still loose, remove stock, tighten screw that holds the rail in place. if still loose, loosen screw, move thin piece aside and get a 8" / 10" crescent wrench or similiar tool and bend the thick " L " shaped rail a tad forward towards the muzzle.

hope this helps, and good shooting.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RICOCHET said:
nippr,

this may sound dumb, but did you push the mag between the thick rail and the thin piece that are kinda touching each other ?? that thin piece holds the mag against the mag guide. if still loose, remove stock, tighten screw that holds the rail in place. if still loose, loosen screw, move thin piece aside and get a 8" / 10" crescent wrench or similiar tool and bend the thick " L " shaped rail a tad forward towards the muzzle.

hope this helps, and good shooting.
I inserted the mag correctly. as stated, after searching on this site, I removed the stock and saw that the tip of the mag catch coudn't clear the mag to hold it in place. after a few swipes with a file on the mag, it 'clicks' in place now.

doesn't look like I'll have to bend anything.

thanx.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
You lucky (Nippr)Dog, you!
I had to do both bending and filing to get mine to feed.

Glad I was able to be of assistance!
Once you get the trigger work accomplished, you'll be all smiles!

Try a wide, groved trigger shoe as well; makes a world of difference in the feel. (I got mine from a gunsmith who had it sitting in his spare parts bin so I don't know where to send you.) It's held in place with 2 tiny, allen head set screws. It has to be removed to take the barreled action out of the stock.

Enjoy that new rifle!
It looks like a real shooter and keeper!
I'll expect groundhogs to be extinct in Indiana by this fall! :D

me!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RICOCHET said:
nippr,

glad yours was an easy fix. but anyway, sometimes it's good to post suggs for someone else who may not be so lucky with an easy fix.

good shooting to you.
your post was appreciated. :D

while searching through many threads that day, I found several that involved shooters having to bend the thick bar to help with feeding.

or bend the thin bar or mess with the screw to help lock the mag.

even though I had no feeding problems(while the mag was in place), and the mag locks in place now, the true test will be next time at the range feeding loaded mags. ;)

hopefully, later this week. I'll post the results.

again, thanx. :D

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
nippr,

yea, was having all kinds of probs with my savage. think i got them all worked out with the help of all the gurus here. for the sake of keeping that "challenge" post going, how about posting some groups at 50 & 100 on the same card, like a 3 x 5 or similiar. a fun thing and maybe one of us with a marlin or savage can show those high tech gun guys how a $200.00 gun shoots. ?? lol. okay, okay, a gun fun thing. i did'nt do too well at 100, but will try again. sam spade gave me something to try for.

good groupings to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.