1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yutes: (hehehehehe)
I'm giddy, like a little school girl.
- Homer Simpson

I just got the nerve (stopped being lazy) and went to the store to get a mechanical pencil. They didn't have the clisckster, so I bough another one, hoping it would work as the other 3 I've tried haven't. Well, it did. I cut maybe 1/4 of it off and DID use the plunger. My trigger is now a hair over 1lb w/ the VQ hammer and Jb weld trick. G-man installed an over-travel screw, so now I have no pre-travel and no overtravel with a CRISP 1 lb. trigger. Ah, life is good. Too bad I'm in the middle of exchanging bbls. (thanks, XF2 for being so patient w/ me) Just thought I'd share. (Parents think I'm crazy, when I ran up the stairs yelling TRY THIS w/ a trigger gaurd in my hands) hehehehe.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea 1st 10/22,

Light triggers are fun, just make sure anyone trying your rifle know too (make sure the barrel is pointed down range!). I've seen some very suprised faces when they pick up my pistols.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehehehe... I can't even imagine their faces. I told my Dad to try it and the strut assembly came flying out cuz he wasn't ready for it :D

I can't image ppl's faces when they pick up your guns, especially if it's a .38 or larger... Wow.

P.S. Any opinions on the S&W 671 in .22lr?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Now imagine your 10/22 assembled with a chambered round. It's funny until a little red stain shows up. Be careful, 99.9% of shooters have never handled a highly worked trigger. It happens too quick to stop, a little dry fire training can go a long way to prevent an accident. Coach a new shooter to keep their finger out of the trigger guard until the sights are aligned. Don't mean to nag, it's your rifle and you are responsible for it.

re 671: I'm not very good with a round gun, never had an interest to get better with revolter either.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says :
iF YOU HAVE A 1 POUND TRIGGER , using a standard 10-22
trigger mechanism . YOU= have an accident waiting to happen.

From over 100 (10-22's ) that I have built. not (1) has
under a 2 lb factory trigger.
Unless it is a custom (jewell , Kidd, VQ) TRIGGER ASSEMBLY.

When you assemble your 10-22 , do the safety test.

weapon = without ammo
SAFETY in the " on " position.
pull trigger with firm pressure.
remove finger from trigger.
push safety - to off position.

did the hammer fall ?
yes . I would suspect.
very , very, duhh unsafe - redo redo with new parts.

note 2 lb is the limit.
This is due to the hammer and sear engaugement . The custom
triggers do not use this same principal. They use a completely
different hammer "lock" system that enables them to go down
in the "ounce break range".
also is why they cost several hundreds of dollars.

1 OZ factory trigger = let me know what range you shoot at.
I'll make sure to AVOID IT.
cd.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thanks for smashing my hopes :( It's ok, I'd rather be safe and have a 2lb trigger, then have some one hurt and have a 1lb. trigger. I'll go do the safety test now. I didn't do any filing of the hammer or sear or anything. Here's what's been done:

VQ target hammer
JB weld trick (sanded much of it off)
Trigger return spring replaced

As far as firing, that's all that's been done. I'll try the safety test now. Hopefully it will pass.

P.S. I don't have any way to really measure it, so it could be 1.6 lbs, I'm just comparing it to the gaurd w/ just the VQ hammer, which is supposed to be around 2lbs.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

It passed the test nopt once, but twenty five times. I backed out the overtravel screw and then did the test. Safety on SQUEEZE, let off, safety off. The hammer didn't fall once.

Chief: I follow all range rules to the fullest. Even if it will fire when I'm not ready (It won't, and if it does it's gone) I never EVER have the firearm loaded until I'm ready to fire. In fact, I often forget to close the bolt :D

If I have any problem it will immediatley be dissasembled and replace w/ new parts.

Even i I had a Kidd, I wouldn't want a 1 oz. trigger. Not until I have many more years of practice.

P.S. New shooters won't use my gun. There's an old bolt action Mossberg 340Ka in the safe for them.

·
Registered
615 Posts
After CHief Daves Safety test, make sure that you are careful to test at a range. A little dirt, or shock could cause unexpected things. You may also find that you need to strech the spring a little. It will behave differently when firing, than dry firing.

From what you described, I don't think its that light. A two lb trigger is very light to most people. Yes, you will get odd responses when others shoot it. Have them dry fire it first. It is one thing for you knowing what to expect to shoot it, but nobody likes to have a gun "go off" in their hands. Many shove that trigger finger in there, and feel around a bit before setting up for the shot. Not a good thing with a light trigger. Also, don't try to surprise anyone with it. Tell them, make them dry fire it. Then they will have more respect. Hand it to them and say "Hey how do you like this?" and boom. Get the picture?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
1st 10/22,

I'd also do the "Bang Test" to test the safety of it.

Take the unloaded rifle, pull the bolt back and let it slam forward....

Then, put the rifle on FIRE and slam the buttpad on the ground/floor.

Make sure it is unloaded!

If this test passes, along with the other one, it *should* be safe.....

I modified one down to about 8 oz. once.....It was definitely not safe.

Then, I did one that was just over 1lb. I tested it over and over and over again. It came back safe, but I still check it every time I get ready to go out shooting with it......

Safety First! Always!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
My Contender has an 18oz. Since you can dryfire one of them without cocking the external hammer. I hand it yo someone without ammo and with it broke open and ask them to touch the trigger. The normally do not notice that small "click" when the internal sear trips.. once I reset it and tell them that little "click would have just fired it, their eye's normally get VERY large. THEN and ONLY then, will I have them a round of ammo to try it.
Light triggers are GREAT for precision shooting. They can also be VERY dangerous. FYI, when I bought my TC it has a 9oz trigger :( That light, I had to be careful cocking it or the internal sear would trip:(
Paul

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, now off to the basement for Viper's test. Like I mentioned before, it could be closer to two lbs because I was just comparing it to what I had before. It feels about a lb. lighter and the VQ hammer was supposed to bring it down to around two lbs. I'd never try to impress someone with this rifle, other than showing them the targets. The point of the light trigger is for me, not for someone else. The only person who may shoot it is a semi-gunsmith who modifies his own triggers (mostly pre-'64 rifles) down to around half a pund. Thanks for all the adice. Like I said, I want to be safe with this. I will test it everytime I go to the range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.