Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 6inch inox dlx last week. I am new to the handgun thing and so far having a blast.

first ammo i put through it was 100 rounds of cci standard velocity. I had about 10 ft feed.

I then put 100 rounds of cci mini mags through it. had about 4 ftfeed. Was much happier.

went home cleaned her up and went back to the range today.

put 100 rounds of winchester high velocity. They sucked! ftfeed about 1 out of 3. I just couldnt wait to get rid of them

Then came a home run 100 rounds of Remington High velocity. not a single ftfeed.

once I was done with my ammo I brought I grabbed a brick of mini mags from the range(got killed on the price) I proceeded to put 500 more rounds through the gun without a single problem.

I put just about every 22 in my hand before deciding.

p22, too small even for my girlfriend
all types of rugers, price was sort of an issue but not much. almost had a markIII 22/45 but the neo just felt better in my hand.
trailside, i think if to do again I would get this gun but at the price may as well get the sw41, which i also put in my hand. Tried some other stuff as well forget about half of them probably. I probably tried too many things. Kept going back to the neos for look, comfort and sights. This gun just felt really balanced for me.

All of the guns had their pros and cons, couldnt really find one with the neos. pretty happy with it so far.

I know many of the problems people have spoke about this gun are a bit dated. Where this issues of bad trigger on early models or is the trigger on the dlx much better? My trigger while not 2lbs does not feel very heavy. I felt it was a fine feel right inbetween heavy and light. Kind of medium. I did not want something really light on my first gun. (kind of a self saftey thing).

Well that is my experience with the neos thus far. Take the info for what its worth.
late

·
Registered
517 Posts
The triggers seem to vary quite a bit on the Neos but the trigger job described here on RFC is easy to accomplish and makes a positive improvement. I found that the front sight was slightly wide, for my old eyes, but it was quite easy to narrow since it is both removable and plastic. My Neos is a 4.5 Inox.

I also have a 4.5" Trailside Target that is a very sweet little gun. After doing the trigger job and the front sight job my Trailside and my Neos will shoot very similar groups shooting, iron sights, offhand at indoor ranges of 50 to 75 feet. The Neos requires a bit more concentration but it is a good shooter.

My third .22 handgun is a Ruger KNR6 (6.5" SS, Super Single Six) which also shoots quite well but, like the Neos requires more effort to shoot well since the round butt single action grips are not all that easy to hold the same way each time.

The feature I like most about both the Neos and the Trailside is that the grips are very easy to hold the same way each time you shoot them. The Neos is like a Caddilac and the Trailside is like a Mercedes. Both quite good but the Trailside has better engineering, fit and finish.

The Neos is actually more fun for me to plink with as it takes a little bit more effort for me to shoot is well than it does with the Trailside.

Enjoy your new pistol.... oh yes.... I almost NEVER have any feeding problems with the Neos. I use LOTS of cheap Federal Lightning (Renamed to Federal Champion Target) that I get at Gander Mountain for $0.99 a box. The Federal product code is 510. It is 40 grain, round nose, lead.

Again, have fun, shoot a lot and buy them both :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
heythorp--

I have put many thousands of rounds through my NEOS Inox DLX with the 7.5" barrel. Even with the cheapest ammunition I could buy, I had no failure to feed problems.

I evaluated (and liked quite a bit) Aguila .22 SSS Sniper SubSonic ammunition. It is basically a .22 short with a 60 grain round. That big, long round would jam, but only occasionally.

Currently, the only think I am shooting is Wolf Match Gold. No problems. Other than finding it! <g>

--seal killer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ft feed has all but stopped now. Will be interested in running some other ammo again to see if the gun has now broken in. I want going to concern my self with it unless it kept doing it over 2000 rounds. I know i can always go to the mini mags if I need to. Would love to find some cheap ammo locally in NJ. would love to find a way to get the costs down to 1cent a round. anyone able to accomplish this?

Have my bsa red dot coming too. I really need to get a laser bore sight on this thing. I know it was shooting to the right out of the box(had a sharp shooter confirm this) I moved the sights a little but who is to know now. Joining cherry ridge next month(range here in NJ)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trigger job location

I would like to know where the information to do a trigger job on the Neos is located here on RFC or elsewhere.

I have a 4.5 inch which is approximately two years old. The trigger pull is difinitely the worse part of the pistol.

Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not found it exactly(at least not a step by step with pictures), if you do a search for it in the berret forum you should find it. I thought i read every thread on the neos but still have not found it. someone should be able to answer for ya

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i got my bsa red dot today. I now know why everyone loves these things. Truely amazing. Cant wait to sight it in and have some fun.

My question is where are people mounting them? I kind of like it all the way back or one slot up. Are there general locations to mount these or is it where ever you like it?
thanks
late

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats where i have it now seal, but i really like the weight right over the grip. i might move it all the way back. all the way back seems too far back and where you have it seems to off balance it the other way just a bit for me.

on another not. I know it might go off a little but i would gues once you have it sighted in you would be able to take it off and on without losing its location. any one do this to transport it ?
thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
heythorp--

I always leave it on when I transport it. Of course, I cannot use the Beretta box in which it came, but that is not big deal to me.

I doubt very seriously that you could remove it and replace it and retain the zero. I might qualify that a bit by also saying that I must have a very PRECISE zero for the shooting in which I am interested. One sixteenth of an inch at 25 yards would make a difference. An eighth of an inch would be way too much at 25 yards for my shooting purposes.

Of course, I shoot from the bench and use a 1 MOA dot or a scope. If you use a 3 MOA dot or larger, then an eighth of an inch might not be such a big deal. Still, since I have never removed it and replaced it without re-zeroing the optic, whatever it might be, I can't say much about its ability to retain the zero!

--seal killer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well went to the range yesterday with my new bsa red dot on. The red dot almost makes shooting too easy. by the end I was able to put all 10 in a 2 inch circle from 8 yards. yes i know its not great but not bad for my 4th time shooting a gun. looking forward to doing some more serious shooting. I even got a compliment on my gun from the the range guy :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
speaking of 25 yards. what type of grouping is considered good for a 22 pistol with a red dot? i find it very hard to even see specifics of the target from that range. thanks for the help. new to all this stuff. trying to do a cram session

·
Registered
266 Posts
heythorp--

I do not know what is considered "good." I just know what I can do with the equipment I have and the shooting style I prefer.

I began shooting only a couple of years ago. I was about 53. OLD!!! My eyes were already to the point that I needed a scope or a red dot. In other words, seeing the stock sites was almost impossible.

So, I switched back and forth between the Leupold 2.5-8x32 scope I took of my Desert Eagle and my Nikon 6610 red dot (capable of 1 MOA; the finest) and my Bushnell Holosight (also 1 MOA).

I always shoot from the bench and use a sandbag rest at 25 yards and 100 yards. Today, I can easily create ten-round, sub-one inch groups at 25 yards and am working on ten-round, half-inch and 3/8" groups. (I have created a lot of 9 round groups in both sizes!)

In fact, my ENTIRE .22 shooting experience has been with a single gun, my Beretta NEOS Inox DLX with a 7.5" barrel. I documented every bit of it photographically. Here is a link to the page, which represents just a little over a year of shooting . . .

From Bad to Good

Somewhere on that page you will find where I went from bad to good. Some people say very good. But, I still have a lot to learn and a lot of ammo to burn!

--seal killer
ps Don't worry about not being able to see without help at ANY distance! Just get the dot and/or a scope and have fun!

·
Registered
266 Posts
heythorp--

Here are some pictures of some of my red dots.

This is my Bushnell Holosight . . .

Here is a fairly good picture of what it looks like when you look through it . . .

This is my Nikon 6610 red dot . . .

This is what it looks like when I have it set at 4 MOA (it can be set at 1, 4, 6, and 10 MOA) . . .

This is my Bushnell Trophy Red Dot. It is a 3 MOA device . . .

I also have a $35.00 BSA red dot of some kind. But, I don't have a picture of it. It is a 3 MOA dot. Pretty useless for my kind of shooting, like the Bushnell Trophy 3 MOA red dot shown above. And, MOMENTS AGO, I bought a Leatherwood 50mm 1 MOA Red Dot from Bushmaster. I imagine it will alternate back and forth between my Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97 pistol and my Beretta NEOS (pictures of which you have seen here).

I have two great handgun scopes, neither of them cheap; a Leupold 2.5-8x32 and a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x32. The Leupold is currently on my NEOS and the Bushnell will go on my new Volquartsen Deluxe with the 10" barrel, when it arrives SOMETIME THIS WEEK! (I am excited about it.)

If you decide to buy a scope for a handgun, it is vital to get a scope DESIGNED for a handgun. A scope designed for a rifle will be useless, due to something called "eye relief." Basically, with a rifle you stick your eye right up on the scope. You can't do that with a handgun. Your eye must be several inches back. Imagine holding a handgun in front of you at eye level; that's how far back your eye will be from the scope. It takes special optics to make a scope work in the necessary manner for a handgun.

I hope this helps.

--seal killer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.