Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over rim fires...

Set up at my first gun show this weekend in Detroit. Sold 4 rifles and 1 shotgun. Bought a French MAS 49/56 converted to .308; a Century but seems to cycle ok - will fire it this week. Also bought, for $200, a Remington Nylon 77 - the magazine fed version of the 66. Remington only made them from 70-72; this one came with a Weaver V4.5 Scope; old school (no belled front objective lens) and is a variable from 1.5 - 4.5. Probably a $100 scope to a collector...!

Nylon 77 with Weaver V4.5 Scope

French MAS 49/56 in .308

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you don't mind, what did you give for your MAS? I have one I got in a deal awhile back and I really have no idea what it is worth. I have read the articles about the conversion problems but mine works great. I was going to get rid of it till I shot it, and it changed my mind for me. Thanks, allen

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The MAS 49/56 conversions to .308 don't always extract the spent .308 case. The rifle was re-chambered for .308 but the extractor is the stock 7.5 French. It sometimes has trouble gripping the .308 rim for 100% extraction. Just a heads up in case you encounter this phenomenon.;)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
NICE NYLON!

I like the Frog 49/56 in .308, it's a great little brush carbine and not accurate enough for a scope, so the original sights work just fine for the 75 yard rifle I believe it to be. Might put a green-light laser on one for whatever goes "bump" in the night.

The chambers of the four I've played with were roughly finished. Rather than polish 'em out, I've found that steel cased ammo will usually work reliably in 'em.

I've laid in Silver Bear 140 grain soft points just for the two I have, and have some old Chinese Norinco brass-washed steel case stuff waiting for another range visit.

I figure these old war horses are many times tougher than any commercial sporting semi-auto .308, excepting the M-14s and maybe the Sigmas based on the AK action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.