Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive had my standard MKIII for a few months now and basically, im not getting the groups id like to be. I can get a roughly 7inch group out of it at 25 yards from a rest. I clean it, oil it, clean the barrel, all I should be doing. Ive shot federal, CCI, winchester, and remington out of it, all with the same results. It does not have adjustable sights as its just the standard model.

The range officer was telling me to clean it more but I dont think its that as I do, he put some rounds down range and had the same luck as me. Thoughts? I havent been able to shoot it at closer range due to my range availability but hopefully I will as soon as I go up north here. The MKIII in question:

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
It should be able to do much better than 7" at 25 yards. I would have a couple of other good shooters try it and check the results. Normally when someone has a problem like this I recommend that they try various quality ammos. It sounds like you have already done that. The one I recommend to try (as a standard) is CCI Standard Velocity. Even with cheap bulk ammo, it should do better than 7" at 25 yards. That is not a group, it's a pattern:D . In fact bulk ammo should do under 2" at 25 yards, from a rest, without too much difficulty. Keep in mind when I am trying my guns I am using quality Red Dot sights, but even with open sights, 7" groups at 25 yards is ridiculous.
If several people are having this issue I would contact Ruger with your issue and a copy of your target signed by the people there. It will be interesting to see if Ruger stands behind their product with that dismal performance. Ruger is usually good about providing reasonable customer satisfaction. By the way, how bad is the trigger, or does that seem to be part of the problem?

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
I have a MKIII Hunter that was like that 5 inch 5 shot groups at 20 yards of a sandbag with a pistol scope.

I sent it to a RFC sponsor [email protected] and he recrowned it for me and now it will shoot with the best of them.

Randy has recrowned about 4 barrels for me both rifle and pistol with his 11 degree target crown. He can do you yours to and he is reasonably priced. You would just send him the barrel/receiver.

Look him up in the sponsor section if your interested and PM or email him.

·
Registered
707 Posts
is there any damage to the crown? Look where the bullet exits the barrel, it should not have any marks, gouges or scratches. If it does you might need to have it recrowned as scratches, scrapes will definately cause your groups to open up.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
He said he had it for only a few months, so my assumption was that it was a relatively new gun.
7" at 25 yards is not measured in MOA (minute of angle) it is measured in MOA (minute of areacode):D .
Like I said earlier, it is a pattern, not a group.
My Ruger has never given me a problem when it comes to reasonable accuracy.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Not to sound rude or condescending, but do you have much pistol experience?

Fixed iron sights at 25yds can be difficult...even having your sight picture off the slightest bit can account for a large group--as can a long, heavy trigger pull, as it will pull you off target.

If you want to truly see how accurate it is, shoot it from a rest that will secure the pistol--rather than in your hands.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No I do not have much pistol experience, I do with rifle and im a fairly good shot with my rifles but not so much with pistols it seems and I did take that into account. I always figured that id get better with practice and practice I have, ive read and read and done everything I can but im not seeing too much improvement. I have shot my friends 1911, 357mag, and a vaquero and I did fairly good there as well as with a buckmark so im confused here. Hopefully ill have my pistol-shooting friend shoot a few rounds through it pretty soon here and see if he can do any better.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you've been shooting Remingtons (especially Rem Golden Bullets or Thunderbolts) then you should check the barrel for leading. Barrel leading can also cause the type of accuracy issues that you've described. Here's an example of a severely leaded barrel caused from shooting Remington ammo.

Your accuracy concerns are well founded. From a rest you should easliy see 1" groups.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The range officer warned me of that as well but it didnt seem to bad at all when I looked down the bore. He recommended a certain cleaner for lead residue but I cant recall the name right now.

·
Registered
983 Posts
3" groups

I just wanted to chime in and say that I think it's just about impossible to get a tight group out of a handgun with open sights. But 7" is way too large. My best and most accurate open sighted handguns, including a Colt Gold Cup .45 and a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel, generally give me about 3" groups at 25 yards with iron sights. That's sitting at the bench and resting the gun across sandbags or another padded surface.

That Ruger may or may not be capable of 1" groups at 25 yards, depending on the way the muzzle is crowned and how tight or loose or deep the chamber was cut. If it's got a heavy trigger with creep and overtravel, that will open up your group size too. But I would not expect 1" or even 2" groups unless you get a scope of some sort on that pistol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same gun. A MKIII w/4"tapered barrel and fixed sights. I had to put about 500 rounds through it before it and I shot well together. Shoot a brick of something like blazer and just try to get the gun broken in. Then switch to CCI standard velocity or Aguila Standard velocity 40 grain solid lead. At 50 feet unsupported I can keep them in a 2" bullseye (if I haven't had too much coffee). Do not clean the barrel too much. Mine shoots much better dirty. If I clean mine the first couple of mags are throw aways. Mine now shoots almost as well with the CCI blazer bulk as it does with the standard velocity stuff. I have tried other ammo and had "patterns" not groups.

So my advice: break it in and get the feel for the gun with some high velocity stuff. Don't clean the barrel too much, (O.K. to clean the action). Then switch to some standard velocity decent ammo with 40 grain bullets and you will be happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.