Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happend to see my brother-in-law's ammo on Easter. Had HMR and M2 ammo for his rifle chambered for HMR. I told him not to fire the M2 in the HMR rifle. It turns out he already fired some rounds and they did fire. I told him to stop immediately. The stupider-than-my-brother-in-law guy at the gun store did not know the difference between M2 and HMR. "Hey it's .17 right? What's the difference". What could happen if he shoots the M2 in the HMR? He's as dumb as a box of rocks sometimes but I still like the guy.

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Your right. That is not only stupid, but even more dangerous than it is stupid. Tell your brother-in-law to be very careful in the future and to become acquainted with the difference between the two rounds. That way it won't ever happen to him again in the future. Brad

·
Registered
678 Posts
good call jersey!

yikes!
in the heat of (deer hunting) battle, ive stuffed a 6mm into my '06, (sounded like a potatoe gun) i learnt me a lesson.
only hunt with one gun at a time, and read the bbl stamping
safety first and make it last!
ps. i got the whitetail, but i aint proud of it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I think about it

It's like putting a .22LR in a .22WMR. The case should split and since the HM2 is shorter, the neck should rupture. He is lucky he did not get a face full of hot gas.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've been reluctant to get a M2 because of the similarities with the hmr. They are too close to each other to have out together. I guess I realize that I'm not that organized to keep them straight. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The HM2 bullet will also hit the neck of the chamber, since the round doesn't center being smaller in diameter it will sit on the bottom of the chamber, the bullet exiting will nail the chamber face and then hopefully enter and exit the barrel, if not the gun could explode...

Other similars, 12 gauge in a 10 gauge. Goes bumpfh and fires, but the gas will exit, through the action, hopefully not in the shooter's face.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Thats like the Walmart salesman that told me that 17HMR could safley be used in a .22 magnum rifle! He even sold two .22 mags to a guy based on this!! Yikes!! I politley corrected him but I don't think he believed me.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Maybe instead of congress making more idiotic gun laws they should require a firearm education class before a "newbie" can buy gun's kinda like the required "Hunter education" which is now required for new hunters.

it might save lives as it seem's that there are too many people buying firearms with out any common sense / gun knowledge and their irresponsibility can only give responsible gun owners a black eye.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
SHREDINATOR said:
Maybe instead of congress making more idiotic gun laws they should require a firearm education class
Absolutely not!!!!
I see that as another requirement/restriction towards eroding our fundamental right to keep and bear firearms.Too many times I have seen the government, thru abrogation of power, try to *******ize and modify good laws to better suit their own needs or the beliefs of the few and I've been lied to too many times by the government to trust them any more. I would much rather see the burden of an educational course be placed on the seller. The clerk should be taught a little more than just how to work the cash register in cases where the safety of the buyer may be at risk. If the buyer is smart enough to ask the right questions then is should be assured of getting the right answers. A lot of people put a lot of trust and good faith in the person behind the counter by assuming that he is knowledgeable about the products he is selling.
I'm sorry if I sound cynical but I'm tired of being told what I can and can't do to make up for the stupidity and incompetence of others.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm sorry if I sound cynical but I'm tired of being told what I can and can't do to make up for the stupidity and incompetence of others.
I feel the same way but we always seem to have to pay for other's incompetence as firearms owners ,I was taught the right and wrongs of firearms by my grandfather but there are alot of people out there that dont have someone to teach them the safety precautions of firearms.

i find it alarming that people dont know better than shooting the wrong cartridge in a firearm just because it fits. education is needed here before an injury or death occurs.

·
Registered
678 Posts
not to stray from jerseys thread,
being from canada, i can say that you do not want the govt in it at all.

training should be and is very important, but should be done at a gun club level (NRA or equivelent), and should be done out of respect for the gun.

my soapbox seranade before supper (or dinner as you folks call it :t )
cheers to all.
roger

·
Registered
260 Posts
SHREDINATOR said:
I feel the same way but we always seem to have to pay for other's incompetence as firearms owners ,I was taught the right and wrongs of firearms by my grandfather but there are alot of people out there that dont have someone to teach them the safety precautions of firearms.

i find it alarming that people dont know better than shooting the wrong cartridge in a firearm just because it fits. education is needed here before an injury or death occurs.
Tell me about it... come down to my farm during deer season. Seems every moron with a bottle of whiskey and a rifle tries to invade the place. Hey, I live here, and no I don't think gunfire in my back yard is amusing.

I was taught by my father, who punished lapses of attention with a firearm by clobbering me. You tend to learn quickly under those circumstances. He took the subject seriously, and so do I.

Sadly, changing the stupid gun owner situation means tampering with the 2nd amendment, and that opens the door to even worse things. Still, nothing scares me more than an idiot with a loaded gun. That bullet could go anywhere, at just about any time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
the way i see it is.... let the stupid get rid of themselves?? lol. if you dont have the common sense to even read, your manual, or KNOW what your buying first off by doing a little simple research and dont believe the 1 guy you talk to. then you should blow off your nose by shooting the wrong cartriges.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sounds to me like if the guy behind the counter would have had a box of Remington 17 centerfire he would have sold them to your brother-in-law and told him they would fit if he shoved the bolt hard enough. This wasn't a chain-store where they put the guy from hardware in the sporting goods dept because they were short handed that day was it? This proves that when you buy ammo (or anything else) it's best to know what you want and need for your intended purpose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts