Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this rifle in the early 60s at an old gunsmiths garage sale for $12.00. It's probably a rifle that should never been made. It was made from two different serial numbers and a Marlin .22 S, L, LR barrel. It has been chambered in Winchester Rim Fire. The rear sight dovetail has been filled and a new one cut for the Winchester sight. This rifle shoots very well and I carried it in the truck for years.

The barrel was marked S, L, LR and I always thought I should change the address to read WRF so anyone after me would know the proper caliber. This week I took a vibrating Dremel tool and defaced the S, L, LR marking and wrote WRF on the barrel. I swear, that's the "only time" I've ever taken a Dremel to a gun.

It doesn't have any finish left, but I still enjoy my old pieced together Winchester/Marlin 1890.

· Premium Member
625 Posts
I bought this rifle in the early 60s at an old gunsmiths garage sale for $12.00. It's probably a rifle that should never been made. It was made from two different serial numbers and a Marlin .22 S, L, LR barrel. It has been chambered in Winchester Rim Fire. The rear sight dovetail has been filled and a new one cut for the Winchester sight. This rifle shoots very well and I carried it in the truck for years.

The barrel was marked S, L, LR and I always thought I should change the address to read WRF so anyone after me would know the proper caliber. This week I took a vibrating Dremel tool and defaced the S, L, LR marking and wrote WRF on the barrel. I swear, that's the "only time" I've ever taken a Dremel to a gun.

It doesn't have any finish left, but I still enjoy my old pieced together Winchester/Marlin 1890.

I think it's a good thing that it didn't go to waste. I'm always amazed by the fact that Winchester, Rossi, and Taurus produced them for about 120 years and only sold about 2.5 million of them. There were, and still are, billions of people who obviously just don't know what they are missing. (y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts