Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My former "anti" wife joined us at the range today

1784 Views 56 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  SimonFencer
My wife and her siblings were brainwashed from an early age by her parents, so she always thought that firearms were the cause of all crime and evil. Today she may have seen the light.

My son and I convinced her to join us at the range and give it a try. I guess after seeing how well our son has done in the NRA Junior Marksmanship Program she decided it may not be all that "evil'.

We had the outdoor 22 range all to ourselves. I brought a CZ LUX so she could try a bolt action with open sights and my Volquartsen so she could try a scoped semi-auto. I brought 200 rounds of Wolf MT so she could group well, have low noise, and shoot as long as she wanted.

We set up targets at 25 yards and after a little safety seminar and shooting technique lesson, she actually seemed to have fun. Her best 10 shot group with the CZ was about 2". Her smallest 10 shot group with the VQ (scoped turned down to 10x) was about .3"

The whole time our son son was a few benches down with a Remington 552 plinking away at 50yds, yelling encouragement when he stopped to reload.

Just before we called it a day, after a little over an hour, she wanted to try the 552. She thought it was the "prettiest" and "easiest" to shoot, but not the most accurate of the 3 she had shot that day.

She had me bring home, scan, and email her 2 best targets to friends and family...everyone, but her parents that is. Overall she had a good time and said that SHE WOULD CONSIDER DOING IT AGAIN!

After 19 years of marriage this is quite a milestone. :D :t :D :t
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
908 Posts
Woohoo!! :D :D

My wive came out for her third session saturday. She got to try out her Dad's 1911 (which was his fathers, which he picked up on Omaha beach after he dropped his one he was issued), a Sig 226 (9mm) plus the 10/22 I built for her. She really likes semi-automatic firing and high magnification (it has a wtc18 on it). Denise busted a lot of clays we had set up, plus a few empty 12 guage shells. She used to be an "anti" too.

A friend was going to bring his "anti" wive out, but he had to drive his Dad to the airport at the same time we had decided to shoot. But they will come next time.

Paul

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a deal that was reiterated today. This is the only safe I can have. I can put whatever I want in it, but when it's full that's my problem. I'm stacking rifles upside down right now. She said she would never question or ask what I bought...at least until today.

She asked how much the Volquartsen cost and I side stepped it a little. I told the truth...kinda. I truthfully said that I traded in a revolver and rifle for the majority of it and it only cost "a couple hundred" more out of my pocket. Yes, the rifle cost "a couple hundred" more and the scope, sun shade, and rings cost "a couple hundred" more. :D She had that "are you out of your mind" look when I said, "a couple hundred," but I'm sure some of you have been in my shoes too. :D

When she asked how much our son's "pretty" 552 cost, I told her that I traded his P22 for it and got change back. She still hates handguns, so that got a,"that was a good trade," out of her.

· Registered
2,788 Posts
Oih !!!

19 years , id have given up after 19 minutes ....

Now all you have to do , is take her down the range and put a .22 Pistol in her hand , and let her burn through a brick of ammo ....

Did she ever say how large the safe could be ????? :D

Say you want one like Chuck Yeagers ...... :D

:p

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MattK,
The current safe has been in place for a while. I should have gotten the largest Fort Knox model available, but I really wasn't thinking at the time. :(

It will take a long time to get her to the point of handling a handgun. I've got to take this one step at a time. Her father is a supporter of Handgun Control Inc.

I've taught all my neices and nephews how to shoot once they turned 18, adult decision makers. My wife's father has a real hard time with it, but that's his problem. ALL of them had a good time and said that they would like to do it again.

I've just got to accept the fact that I am the "black sheep" of the family. :D

· Registered
57 Posts
I like to hear that kind of story...

My gun-hating wife (bless her heart!) bought me a Beretta NEOS U22 for Christmas last year....a miracle in itself.

I took her for a shooting session with the pistol she bought me. To my astonishment, she did very well and actually admitted to enjoying it !! Ah, a ***** in the armor! She's turning just a bit.

Why do you think I call myself the "22luvr?"

· Registered
187 Posts
I will have to say... THANK GOD... that my gf is a former Marine... she loves guns *almost* as much as I do... we both have "Ultimates"... for Easter we had a decent priced Bushy A2 in the shop and with my discount came to a very acceptable price... she told me it is the best present anyone has EVER given her...

I think shes a keeper... =)

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Of course my wife is a shooter so I'm one of the lucky ones. But a former co-worker had a wife that was anti-gun, he convinced her to go to the range with us one saturday and after shooting a buddies Model 41 S&W he had to buy her one of her own!

Dave Z.

· Registered
441 Posts
Well done!

vepr762,

Kudos to you and your son for helping to "convert" your wife! In my case, although my wife came from a "no-guns-allowed" family, she has no problems whatsoever with my shooting or hunting. And although she personally doesn't care to do any hunting herself, she gets a real kick out of going out to plink at a few tin cans or punch holes in paper targets.

Keep up the good work! ;)

Regards,

"akrimfire" :snipersmi

· Registered
333 Posts
I gotta let y'all now about my wife. She was also anti - gun. Why? Because her older brother had killed himself with a pistol, when she was 10 or something. She was truly afraid of guns. Until she met me. Over the past 20 years, she now shoots, not very often, but when she does, she shows me up, I have the 4 eye handi cap, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Anyhou, my Ruger MkII pistol is "HERS" now, if that gives you any indication on how she feels about guns now.

· Registered
1,870 Posts
Antigun wife

My wife was so antigun before we got married that she would take toy guns away from her son when he was small. I took her to one of my favorite plinking places, and old trash pile and I set up some glass bottles of various sizes and shape and shot them with a Ruger MKII. I convienced her to try it and she picked things up very quickley. Once she realized the gun wouldn't bite her she settled into it well and even shot my .357 revolver with reduced loads. Within a week or two she bought her own .357 revolver. She now owns five firearms and enjoys shooting very much.

· Registered
388 Posts
It wasn't a wife...

Back when I was a my son's Cub Scout den leader I decided to educate the boys on safe handling. One of the other boy's dad was a hunter and liked the idea as well...with his help and the help of my shooting buddy who was an NRA instructor we put togther a show and tell of the various types of long guns and handguns....next we informed the parents what we were planning on doing. We told them that if they had objections that their son would not be required to attend that meeting. One father was adamantly anti-gun but I told him he was welcome to attend also.

Needless to say it was a big hit with the boys, they got a chance to handle the guns...you should have seen the envy when my son brought HIS .22 that he had received a few months earlier....we had a 100% attendance plus a number of parents...it must have worked as the anti-gunner bought his son his first BB gun a few weeks later :D Of all the things I accomplished in the Scouts that was one of the high points...to pull off a successful session like this in rabid anti-gun Massachussettes

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Winchester52D said:
Back when I was a my son's Cub Scout den leader I decided to educate the boys on safe handling. One of the other boy's dad was a hunter and liked the idea as well...with his help and the help of my shooting buddy who was an NRA instructor we put togther a show and tell of the various types of long guns and handguns....next we informed the parents what we were planning on doing. We told them that if they had objections that their son would not be required to attend that meeting. One father was adamantly anti-gun but I told him he was welcome to attend also.

Needless to say it was a big hit with the boys, they got a chance to handle the guns...you should have seen the envy when my son brought HIS .22 that he had received a few months earlier....we had a 100% attendance plus a number of parents...it must have worked as the anti-gunner bought his son his first BB gun a few weeks later :D Of all the things I accomplished in the Scouts that was one of the high points...to pull off a successful session like this in rabid anti-gun Massachussettes
Kudos!!! :t
That made a difference!!!
Don

· Registered
1,870 Posts
Good job Winchester52D. When ignorant people get educated to what firearms are all about it does make a difference. What transpired afterwards proved it in your case.
Good shooting to ya,
Dave

· Registered
218 Posts
vepr762 said:
We have a deal that was reiterated today. This is the only safe I can have. I can put whatever I want in it, but when it's full that's my problem. I'm stacking rifles upside down right now. She said she would never question or ask what I bought...at least until today.
Get another safe to keep the wife and kids' guns in. :D

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is getting scary

She actually wanted to see some of my rifles today! I only showed my Winchester 74 and Marlin 1897. She would have freaked out if she saw my VEPR II RPK! :D She's not real fond of handguns and I don't think a Russian squad light machine gun variant would put a smile on her face. :D

Yes, it's semi-auto, but it's still an EVIL BLACK rifle. :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.