Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this is the wrong place for this post, sorry, feel free to move.

Okay, I admit it -- I'm a sucker for gun accessories. It's so easy to say "that looks cool, what? 20 bucks for a little piece of aluminum, well that's got to be worth it".

I know I'm not spending as much as some, but once I added it up, I was in for a shock.

Ruger 10/22 Buildup
Code:
[b]
Item								Price Paid $[/b]			
Stock rifle							169.00			
Hogue OM Stock							59.99			
Adams & Bennett .920 Blue Fluted 18"" Barrel			89.11			
Volquartsen Extractor						12.00			
Volquartsen Extended Bolt Handle and Recoil Rod Assembly	29.50			
Volquartsen Hex-Head Take Down Screw				4.40			
Volquartsen Recoil Buffer					14.95			
Volquartsen Extended Magazine Release				21.95			
Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release				16.95	
Volquartsen Bedding System (Pillar and Pad)			21.36	
Volquartsen Target Hammer					34.99
Doug Koenig V-Block						19.95
Simmons 1048 Scope						111.88
Weaver X-high Rings						24.95
Weaver Base							8.95
Scope Mount Labor						15.00
Butler Creek Hotlips Mag x 2					16.00
Shooter's Ridge Bi-Pod						44.99

"Gun case, cleaning supplies, ammo so far ????"
Wishlist: Everything CPC can do.

So what did this get me? Well a really cool looking pea shooter. Here's some pics:
Current state of build:

First time out with new stock / hammer / pillar / barrel (actually now that I look at it I think its more like a 10 shot group - I was having so many jams though I didnt keep real good count)

Ok so it looks cool and shoots pretty straight. Got a couple problems though.

A. Doesn't bother me too much, but To get the top flute to center at 12 o'clock, the barrel has to be rotated a smidge and isnt perfectly square with the vblock, here's a pic:

B. The biggest problem right now is that the breech of the gun is so **** tight that when the ammo is chambered, the top of the breech gouges into the lead of the bullet (I'm using winchester t22 target lead tips). This results in jams or feeding problems almost every other round. Simply unacceptable. Got a couple theories
-My chamber doesnt like lead tip winchester's and I should try CCI or wolf FMJ's
-Hotlips Mags suck and I should try the ruger rotary magazine (Unlikely to help since even when hand chambering a round, it takes some pressure to seat the rim of the round at the rear of the chamber.
-I got a dud of a barrel (Hope not - but based on the flute problem, I'm starting to think they sold me a dud)
Here's the best pic I can get of a scalloped round

C. The final problem isn't so much of a problem as a surprise to me: When I put in the VQ hammer kit I had my gunsmith measure the trigger pull, it came out to one pound, 14 ounces. Impressive for a 40$ drop in part, the problem is the creep, it's pretty bad although livable. Any easy fixes for that?

So that's my paycheck, hope folks like it, I'm pretty proud although the jamming problem needs to be fixed quick.

Thanks for your indulgence, and I would appreciate any comments, or suggestions for my problems.

Happy and safe shooting.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Lead shaved just on one side, you may have a sharp edge around the chamber that needs to be took off. You can do a search for this, I have never done it, if I did, and since I hand load my centerfire stuff, I would take the deburr tool I use for my cases and knock off the edge. Check the search out

Nice build, and nice shooting, looks to be very usable

Clint

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Very Nice look'n rifle. :t :t

Polish the lip of the chamber,go lighty a little at a time.Don't over do it
in this area,just break the sharp edge and polish.

Try different ammo.

Check the alinement of your extractor to the groove cut for it in the barrel
breech. This is more important than if the flute on top of the barrel line'n up as far as funtion goes. It would be my guess you have the barrel rotated so far that the extrator is drag'n ,this will cause the function problems you describe.

The barrel seems to shoot very well,so I wouldn't throw it out. :)

Also go to the Tips and Tricks forum and set up your factory mag's per instructions. Mag's can also cause the problems you describe.

You have a nice look'n rifle,with a little tweak'n it can be made to shoot
and function as good as it looks.

Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would try a factory magazine before I did any mods. to the chamber. Also as suggested above, make sure the extractor is lined up with the extractor cut. I have an A&B (GM) fluted barrel and the flutes aren't indexed with the V-block cut, don't worry about that, the extractor lining up with the extractor cut in the barrel is more important. I would certainly try some different ammo also, I have never found a gun that shot win. T22 well and I am not alone. Mine likes Wolf MT and shoots around .5" @ 50 yds, 5 shot groups. Don't get discouraged, a little tweaking will get you where you want to be.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Remove barrel and using a small cone shaped dremmel stone lightly grind the chambers edge then polish well. As stated above, make sure the extractor is centered in the groove. Also try using the factory magazine. This should solve your problems.

swampf0x

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks fellas, I'll try to take her to the club on sunday and try your suggestions in order of least amount of work:

try factory magazine
try other ammo
square up vblock and flutes centered bedamned

Then I'll report back, just a lil apprehensive to taking a dremel to my barrel, but it might come to that. My hope is that its just the crappy hot lips with their plastic feed ramps. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Round the edges

I had a lot of shaving/chambering problems with my green mountain barrel and no the top flute isn't centered but you won't really notice after awhile. I would set the barrel so the V block is even and tight for best accuracy. I had to round the edges at the rear of my chamber with a bullet shaped polishing point and dremel tool. Go slow and test ofte. The bottom edge of the chamber on my gun is a bit more chamfered than the top and it now feeds OK. Not as good as a loose factory barrel but reliable with ammo that isn't too waxy. rc

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to the range today with three types of ammo:
cci mini mag
cci std velocity
win t22

Went to the indoor 50ft range, yes I know this rifle is overkill for 50 feet (17yds) but it was raining and indoor is nice

Turns out the biggest contributor to the problem were the hotlips mags. I might as well throw them away. The factory mag with its nice steel guide lips fed all three ammos, with no jams in 250 rounds.

Learned a little about my cheap ammo choices though. All of them shot dime size 5 shot groups, in fact I shot ~40 dime size or smaller groups at 50ft today. Winchester might make one hell of a sporting clay cartridge for my super x2, but this t22 ammo isn't consistent at all. Second, although cci is slightly more expensive, minimags shoot pretty darn well and the std velocity shoot the best of this cheap-o line up. Still some very light lead shavings, but more polishing the lead, no jams, and doesnt seem to change much, the minimags shaved less my guess since the bullets appear to be copper plated. Next is to hunt down some of the expensive ammo people here talk about like the wolf match stuff or maybe the cci greens, and take this baby out to 50yds and see if I really need to center up that vblock. I rather not if it shoots well.

Thanks again for all the help, now to work on that creep in the trigger. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shotgunshooter3 said:
Nice rig. How do you like that Hogue stock?
I like it, its simple, dont have to worry too much with solvent / oil, and its cheap. The volquartsen pillar made the free float a breeze (although there's no real flat surface for the pressure pad -- might have to glass some of the cutouts just to put that on).

Negative though is that its flexible. With the bipod, you can twist the stock from the grip while aiming, enough that the floated barrel can touch either side of the forearm with enough twist. Kind of why I want to put the pressure pad in and torque the takedown screw more so this flex is reduced. All in all 4 of 5 stars though so far. Perfect receiver fit to boot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i got the same prob and jus got through with my build likee 3 months ago
startin on my marlin 17hmr just did a trigger job this evinin next is a new stock with a bedding for the action its showing potential half inch groups at 100 yrds
well i hope you get the bugs worked out of her she looks good imma put picks of mine up soon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.