Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Nice looking guns:bthumb: . I can understand the dilemma.

Actually I shoot my Browning Challenger a lot more than my S&W 41. I feel guilty feeding cheap bulk ammo through the 41. The S&W 41 gets the good ammo. I feed anything and everything through the Challenger.

After putting Red Dot sights on many of my pistols, the revolvers just don't get much use anymore.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I got the same problem. About half of these are actually my wife's but at the range that doesn't matter.

S&W 17, Ruger Bearcat, Bersa Firestorm, Dan Wesson Model 22, Ruger Single Six, Ruger MK II, Ruger MK III 22/45 with a BSA red dot.

·
Registered
679 Posts
To make matters worse, for a couple of months a couple of years ago, I couldn't shoot anything but a .22. I shot the .22s I had and managed to get a few more. These days I shoot my S&W 17, 617s, 63, Ruger MK IIIs and S&W 41. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
384 Posts
"Decisions, decisions . . . " I hear ya. MK III Hunter w/ Leupy VXIII scope, S&W 41 and tomorrow should have my NIB 1978 Colt Diamondback. Don't even mention long guns, Marlins, Coopers and a Winchester on the way. I've got about 8000 rnds. of .22LR on hand (picked up a case of CCI Std Velocity) and I'm just begging for some cooler weather. Then theres centerfire, but lets not go there.:D

·
Registered
481 Posts
I wouldn't call those 'plinkers'. I'd call them really nice target pistols.

To me, a plinker is a fixed sight pistol that doesn't shoot to point of aim. Having to aim off the target to hit the target adds to the fun.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
"Decisions, decisions . . . " I hear ya. MK III Hunter w/ Leupy VXIII scope, S&W 41 and tomorrow should have my NIB 1978 Colt Diamondback. Don't even mention long guns, Marlins, Coopers and a Winchester on the way. I've got about 8000 rnds. of .22LR on hand (picked up a case of CCI Std Velocity) and I'm just begging for some cooler weather. Then theres centerfire, but lets not go there.:D
That NIB Colt Diamondback is certainly a collector piece. Tell me you're not going to shoot it. Is it a 4" or 6"? As I remember, 1978 was around the time that Colt came out with the 6" version.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi M2HB

Thats a 6", should be mint, 100% w/ walnut case and Colt letter.

I can't recall if that was the first year for the 6" or not, it is an R serial number. Yes, This site (http://motos.home.att.net/coltpython.htm) does indicate that 1978 was the first year for the 6" and confirms the R serial number for that same year. Very Interesting!

To shoot or not . . . . that is the question.

Yup, never been fired and is a collector piece. I will probably leave it that way and if I need find something else to shoot. I wanted a Diamondback to go with my Python Hunter, I may have to find another for a shooter. I really don't know, it's been a safe queen for all this time and guns were ment to be shot. I will never sell it so I will not be affected by the change in value. I have no one to leave my collection to so that is not a factor either. It is a hard choice to make about a great gun.

I may have to wait to pick it up Monday or Tuesday because of cool down period here in Florida, 3 full days, and the weekend may get in the way. I might photo and post, I haven't made up my mind, my Winchester 52D has been taking a pounding around here.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I got the same problem. About half of these are actually my wife's but at the range that doesn't matter.

S&W 17, Ruger Bearcat, Bersa Firestorm, Dan Wesson Model 22, Ruger Single Six, Ruger MK II, Ruger MK III 22/45 with a BSA red dot.
I been keeping an eye out for a DW 22, but looks like I will have to convert my DW Model 15, 357 VH6 to have one. With the cost of reloading being three times the cost of three years ago, it may be the have to thing to do.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Hi M2HB

Thats a 6", should be mint, 100% w/ walnut case and Colt letter.

I can't recall if that was the first year for the 6" or not, it is an R serial number. Yes, This site (http://motos.home.att.net/coltpython.htm) does indicate that 1978 was the first year for the 6" and confirms the R serial number for that same year. Very Interesting!

To shoot or not . . . . that is the question.

Yup, never been fired and is a collector piece. I will probably leave it that way and if I need find something else to shoot. I wanted a Diamondback to go with my Python Hunter, I may have to find another for a shooter. I really don't know, it's been a safe queen for all this time and guns were ment to be shot. I will never sell it so I will not be affected by the change in value. I have no one to leave my collection to so that is not a factor either. It is a hard choice to make about a great gun.

I may have to wait to pick it up Monday or Tuesday because of cool down period here in Florida, 3 full days, and the weekend may get in the way. I might photo and post, I haven't made up my mind, my Winchester 52D has been taking a pounding around here.
You could find a shooter a lot cheaper than a NIB Colt Diamondback. Congratulations on that fine collector piece.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks M2HB , you are right. I have desided to not shoot the Diamondback and have a S&W 17-6 on the way. The S&W has a 8 3/8" barrel and combat grips and will get scoped. The Diamondback is a gem and will stay that way I hope. It's going to be very tempting to shoot a great gun. Colt Custom Shop did an awesome job on the trigger and it gives a whole new meaning to "breaks like glass". Trigger pull in single action is very light also.
I get to pick it up for keeps on Tuesday and will post some photos soon. Prices on Diamondbacks are through the roof and this being a somewhat special one will remain a safe queen as much as I don't like the idea of not shooting a gun.
The Model 17 has been shot a little and is rated a solid 99%. When scoped it will be as close as I can get to a .22LR version of my Python Hunter as I can get and will probably be one of my favorite shooters.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I been keeping an eye out for a DW 22, but looks like I will have to convert my DW Model 15, 357 VH6 to have one. With the cost of reloading being three times the cost of three years ago, it may be the have to thing to do.
They are nice guns. I had one about twenty years ago, and like a numbskull I traded it off. I found this one at a dealer about 15 miles from the one where I traded the first one. This one looks so much like the one I had, I am tempted to say it is the very same gun, but I lost my old records so I can't prove that.

I see them on Gunbroker from time to time. There are three or four there now.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The ones I have been seeing are either dogs or high end NIB or LNIB ones starting more then a nice K22 so I have done w/o buying. It takes $275 to buy new cylinder & barrel to do the conversion, and thats a lot cheaper then a new S&W and about the same for a Taurus, and the DW is 10 times the gun.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Thanks M2HB , you are right. I have desided to not shoot the Diamondback and have a S&W 17-6 on the way. The S&W has a 8 3/8" barrel and combat grips and will get scoped. The Diamondback is a gem and will stay that way I hope. It's going to be very tempting to shoot a great gun. Colt Custom Shop did an awesome job on the trigger and it gives a whole new meaning to "breaks like glass". Trigger pull in single action is very light also.
I get to pick it up for keeps on Tuesday and will post some photos soon. Prices on Diamondbacks are through the roof and this being a somewhat special one will remain a safe queen as much as I don't like the idea of not shooting a gun.
The Model 17 has been shot a little and is rated a solid 99%. When scoped it will be as close as I can get to a .22LR version of my Python Hunter as I can get and will probably be one of my favorite shooters.
You won't be sorry for keeping that gem in NIB conditon. I know that I'm not.

That S&W is better suited for a scope, especially if it is already D&T. By the way did your S&W with the 8-3/8" barrel come with a bipod:D.
My 617 didn't, but it should have:D.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.