Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My afternoon project - rifle rest

2K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  AZZA 
#1 ·
so, I can't shoot to save my life with sandbags. I've been looking for a rest but no one carries them in stock, the Outers don't appeal to me, I was browsing through the accessory forum when someone said that they'd built their own. The lightbulb went off in my head and here's the results.

it's built with 1" square tube, the wing nuts at the foot of the bolts that support it are so I can turn them easier. I believe I've covered all of the adjustments that may be needed, and I added a level just as a good measure. The rests for the rifle are from Bass Pro, I gambled on the "v" working better than the round one, and I think it may have worked out.

See less See more
#3 ·
I started at noon yesterday with a 30 mile trip to go get the stuff, started thinking about it at like 10 am when I saw the pic. I gathered the stuff and went to my basement shop and kinda faked my way through it. I don't have a full shop, just a drill press, grinder, jigsaw, and hand tools. So some of it was kind of rough. Last night at about 11 pm I had done the last that I could do, I was waiting for the JB Weld that holds the nuts for everything to cure. I've been tinkering on it for about 3 hrs today, but that included about another hours worth of extra painting, it's now waiting for the very last of the JB Weld to harden. The hardest part was bending the bracket for the rear rest, it's a bit crooked, but the rest isn't so I'm happy.

#4 ·
GREAT JOB, Strat,
Improvise is the name of the game. May I make a suggestion????
Go to the hardware store and get a can of "Grip Guard, Dip-it or what ever name" and dip the bottom of the legs in to make a non-slip foot. It will also protect the hood of your vehicle if you decide to take a shot off the hood. Bill

#6 ·
by the time I bought everything I think I have somewhere around 60 bucks into it. I needed drill bits and blades for the jigsaw though. But, I've got some stuff left over, and some stuff was overkill.

Also, I went and picked up floor protectors and glued them on to the bottom of the feet now, thanks for the idea guys!!

#9 ·
Tony,

the legs can go up about 4 inches easy, tomorrow I'll try it out. I wanted the length partly because the bench I use in the backyard is shorter than most, I'm pretty sure I have plenty of travel both up and down, I should be alright. If not, I learned something and I rebuild it again with all my new found knowledge.

John

#13 ·
I'm working on a similar project. I'm going to put my back rest further back and put a leather strap across the back of it so the butt sits in the cradle and against the leather and shoulder. I'm building it heavier and want it to absorb some of the recoil when I use it with my high power rifles. Also my front rest will sit on an adjustable platform. I like to shoot with my left hand free to make the adjustments.

#14 ·
I just put the rifles in it for a quick test, they sit real well, don't move a bit. This should be great, tomorrow morning I'll go check it out if the rain holds off.

for anyone interested in copying it, here's some additional pics.

#17 ·
Stratcat..

Good lookin design.I like to see people build their own stuff.It helps ya appreciate it a little more IMO.
I recently got a Cowen rest and instead of buyin a bag for it I decided to do somethin a little different.I traced the exact shape of my stock and cut a piece of steel to fit it exactly and to fit in the rest.The two sides of the rest top tighten down onto it and completely locks it into place( the steel piece,not the rifle).Gonna cover it in moleskin before I try it.Here's a pic:

#20 ·
Junkyard Wars

CLH said:
Nice work!!!

I think the guys on RFC should get on junkyard wars ...You could kick some ***....

let us know how she shoots

Cal:t
I think that's a good idea! Everybody should send in some pics and or descriptions of stuff they have built from "found" (junk,scrap, etc) items with minimal cash outlay for hardware (drill bits, saw blades, misc nuts and bolts). You know you all have done it at one time or another.

#21 ·
I know this is a dumb question, but what is the purpose of a rifle rest? I have seen them used so people can clean or fix their guns, but people use them for shooting too? If the stand holds your gun perfectly still, do you just sit by it and push the trigger? You don't even need to cradle it or anything!

I also see people put a stand in front and a bag in the rear. Why not bags for both? Why not an one piece like what Strat made? I usually see two pieces.

I got some bags because I dont want to rest the front of my stock on my left arm. I also got a rear bag because it came in a set but I don't see why anyone would need this? You obviously can't use both items in the set at the same time because that would lock the rifle in at a very specific height and angle and your shots will not go where you want. With one bag you can pivot up and down.

#22 ·
the rest does not eliminate the human part of shooting (I'm proof, still have 3" groups at 50 yds). It steadies the gun, but unless you clamp it down there is still room for human error. Rests are legal to shoot from, clamping that sucker down isn't.

#24 ·
shooting from a rest is perfectly fine, along as it doesn't hold the gun in the same place, it has to be allowed to recoil.

clamping it down isn't allowed in competitions, it would take the "me" factor out.

from the email match rules:

6. Shoot over sandbags, shot bags, rice bags or any old bag. Use a tripod, bipod, a block of wood or a rock for your front rest. A bunny ear or rabbit ear sandbag is recommended for buttstock support. Shoot from a bench. Shoot prone with a sling or over sandbags. Shoot over a log or the hood of your truck if you want.

7. One piece rests are allowed. BUT: No rest attached to the bench or capable of "return to battery" would be allowed. If you can push the rifle forward after recoil, and the crosshairs are back on the aiming point, it is a "return to battery" rest.

#26 ·
sygyzy

i don't think you are getting the point of a rear rest. Try this... take a rifle that has a bipod on the front of it or put a sandbag up to rest the front of the rifle. Shoot a few trying to hold it as still as you can. Then setup like you are going to take another shot but cramp an old t-shirt in between the bottom of the stock and the bench. I think you will then notice why people do it.

TONY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.