Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided on the 93BVSS. The dealer had to order me one because he sold the last one he had. Any advice on what to do to it before shooting it. I bought some Hunters Extreme Copper Melt when it first hit the market and it seems to do a good job in the bore of a gun. Other than a good cleaning should I do anything else to the bore of this rifle? What is the best thing to pull patches thru the barrel of these rifles. I do not have a cleaning kit for a .17?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My suggestion would be to buy a good plastic coated cleaning rod made for the .17 rimfire. A bore mop and a brass brush will be good to have.
To speed the break in process you might want to run a mop coated with JB Bore paste through the barrel about twenty times. Run it through the barrel carefully and completely. Clean your gun good and oil lightly.
Run two or three hundred rounds of different kinds of HMR ammo through your gun to break it in. This routine will give you a good idea of which ammo your gun prefers.
Now you can start fine tuning: good glass, Rifle Basix sear, solid rest, etc.

good luck

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
you really don't need a rod, a patch worm kit from

http://20-20.8m.com/

would be a good start. .17 bores are quite small, , and brushes really haven't been recommended for them.

All of the above advice is good as well, and if you don't have the $$$ for the rifle basix sear, the trigger shim sticky at the top of this forum works good for the shooter on a budget

I ordered my 93R17-FV last week and I should have it by Friday. I wish i'd have had the $$$ for the laminate, but maybe i'll order a thumbhole around Christmas.

Good luck with yours
Andrew

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
TTown said:
Other than a good cleaning should I do anything else to the bore of this rifle?QUOTE]

Shoot it!!!! Best accuracy doesn't really come in until after 200-300 rounds go out the tube then do some ammo testing. Lapping with JB's bore compound doesn't hurt and neither will a Rifle Basix sear. Over the winter you might want to bed it.
I use a Dewey rod, a pointed jag and 3/4" patches. Never found the need to use a brush in my 17 as it doesn't copper foul. But, using one doesn't hurt if you insist on using one. 2 wet patches of Butch's Boreshine followed by a half dozen or so dry patches and I'm all set. Save the Copper Melt for your centerfires.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the much needed advice. I have owned and enjoyed guns all of my life. Most of my deer hunting is done with a TC Encore Pistol in 7mm-08. The .17' sounds like it will be tons of fun. I want to be sure to do what I can to take care of that small bore Savage.
I will get me some of the JB bore compound and the patchworm as well.
Thanks gaian and take care.

TTown

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.