Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
701 - 720 of 866 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 · (Edited)
I have done said I would do end of season summary.

Yeah I have kept my line in the water for a lot of years.

Oh yeah. I have hunted a lot. How else would one bag over 51,000 squirrels?

I posted lot of info involved with advanced squirrel hunting. Some info is basic too. The advanced stuff based on many many hours inntje woods.

Someone here on this forumsome time ago called into question something I said. It was a passing comment from me really. Like I was BSing folks with what I said. So I started posting pics and later started posting videos.

To add here. Have I hunted this season as much as I would have liked?
Nope.
Didn’t last season either.
Why?
Won’t go into details but involves family health issues. (Not any health issues with me, not yet anyways,
Actually some of these issue been going on since Oct 2013. Issues have advanced some over this period so my hunting gradually has been in decline.
But I try and get out and hunt.

Now, honestly I didn't have equipment to do Videos and or take pics when I joined this forum. Didn’t have equipment for several years actually.
Wish I would have.
Would have been very eye opening.
Bagging 240 squirrels in one month time hunting with a pcp air rifle. Just one example.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
silas, I agree can't have too much info. I am always afraid of losing info on a computer. Anyhow, I am with you on the Bar. pressure. But no data to tell me anything I look at my data and make adjustments if necessary every two weeks and I use the info from one year to the next to show squirrel activity patterns. Just a small snapshot of squirrels data.

His first 22 hunts yielded 1.9 squirrels per hunt . his last 22 hunts yielded 3.0 squirrels per hunt. His sightings were not bad. As the season went on more young squirrels became available and his numbers should have climbed as the young are less crafty. So in my opinion stable numbers throughout the season. With a specific goal in mind and having every day to be there I would have changed tactics. But this is only me and not suggesting anyone change anything . Just showing how data can be used. Females are going to come into season and while a bunch of them were removed current data still show they were there during the peak of the breeding season. By that time the data would have showed me to seek those females out. My data over the years will also tell me the peak time. Wherever she is ,she will likely come in if an adult especially with good mast numbers( also recorded) and by Dec. Jan. you have some younger females coming in but their numbers are low that come in. You hunt enough and cover enough ground it isn't hard to catch females in season four or five times a week during the 3 week peak. That is a bag limit of males every time with that type of overall numbers, as my data has shown.
I didn't realize you kept a journal!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
squirrel, I was actually trying to be helpful with what the data showed and what your goal was. I don't know how many days you are actually going to be able to hunt so I thought I would let you know what the data shows relative to your goal. I suspect your numbers will go up from here. Though relatively stable there is an increase in the past 22 hunts and young squirrels are in your areas and are easier to bag.

I again say you are going to be posting about an increase in hunt numbers.

Good Hunting.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
silas, without abundant den trees squirrel numbers will not climb very high with the exception of migrating squirrels. I spring Gobbler hunt and mentally record numbers then also. I should put both of those to parchment, especially the spring numbers but I don't. I always know where to start the following year and generally where to go as the season progresses considering food of course. I only hunt open land and this info has proved helpful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well! quite a new experience getting a fresh look into this squirrel hunting situation. The squirrels were less interesting than the squirrel hunters! Like usual, it seems as if all types of humans make up squirrel hunters.
Squirrel1,, There may be some satisfaction in personally speaking to 95% of your followers daily. I for one have enjoyed the spectacle.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #706 ·
Well! quite a new experience getting a fresh look into this squirrel hunting situation. The squirrels were less interesting than the squirrel hunters! Like usual, it seems as if all types of humans make up squirrel hunters.
Squirrel1,, There may be some satisfaction in personally speaking to 95% of your followers daily. I for one have enjoyed the spectacle.
Glad you have enjoyed. Some nice weather coming in my neck of the woods. Hunting could be real nice. We'll see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd take a chance on reading your journal, but figuring 1 page per ten squirrels,(seems reasonable), that'd be about 5000 pages.
I just chewed thru 500 pages of Churchill's first of 4 volumes, History of the English Speaking People. That took nearly a month. Don't count on me as a buyer, if you land a book deal.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #708 ·
Short afternoon hunt.
Bagged 2.
Both gray males.
1 of 2 headshot.
Intentionally shot one in shoulder area.
Fired 2 times.
Longest shot 58 yards.

Brings career harvest to 51,643.
Brings Season total to 323.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
Today's afternoon hunt.
Bagged 6 total.
5 grays.
3 females and 2 males.
1 male fox squirrel

Fired 6 times
All headshot.

Brings career harvest to 51,649
Season total to 329

·
8,337 Posts
Squirrel, I hope...

Squirrel, I hope you are saving your squirrel tales and sending them to Mepps. They make spinner baits and use the hair from the tail of a squirrel to dress the hooks. I just sent them 202 tails, which they valued at $97.XX and some change. You can take the money or get an equivalent dollar amount in their lures. I got the lures!!! Gonna give them away for Christmas presents next year!!!:bthumb:
God Bless, Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #712 ·
Today's unit.
Bagged 5
All grays.
3 males and 2 females.
All headshot.
Fired 6 times.
Missed a 79.5 yard attempt. Trying to shoot one handed on trigger stick.

Brings career harvest to 51,654
Season total to 334.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Well i managed to get back in the woods today after lunch time about 2:00 pm . I was sitting watching some den trees nothing after about an hour i moved around a little and heard what sounded like 2-3 fusing at each other in a big hollow tree around 3.5 ft in dia. I sat down around 40 yards off and watched then all of a sudden one came busting out of a hole then down the tree jumped to a log and ran off in high gear ,he was gone in the blink of an eye . I stayed sitting and saw one sitting in the crotch of a limb tried to twist around a little for a shot but he went around the trunk out of sight . After a while i saw one hanging by his rear legs holding some thing in his front feet eating on it he was fairly high up in the tree i scooted down the tree i was sitting against a took a head shot he fell right out. I kept watching the tree when all of a sudden the little bugger jumped up and crawled up the tree and got into a hole about 1 1/2 foot long by 3" wide and just about 4ft up . I cut me a long skinny sapling left a fork in it and tried to twist him out but could never feel him with the stick so finely gave up and left. I hate when this happens.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well i managed to get back in the woods today after lunch time about 2:00 pm . I was sitting watching some den trees nothing after about an hour i moved around a little and heard what sounded like 2-3 fusing at each other in a big hollow tree around 3.5 ft in dia. I sat down around 40 yards off and watched then all of a sudden one came busting out of a hole then down the tree jumped to a log and ran off in high gear ,he was gone in the blink of an eye . I stayed sitting and saw one sitting in the crotch of a limb tried to twist around a little for a shot but he went around the trunk out of sight . After a while i saw one hanging by his rear legs holding some thing in his front feet eating on it he was fairly high up in the tree i scooted down the tree i was sitting against a took a head shot he fell right out. I kept watching the tree when all of a sudden the little bugger jumped up and crawled up the tree and got into a hole about 1 1/2 foot long by 3" wide and just about 4ft up . I cut me a long skinny sapling left a fork in it and tried to twist him out but could never feel him with the stick so finely gave up and left. I hate when this happens.
what cal.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
very nice, putting together a hmr squirrel rig for next season. never used a hmr for squirrel myself. finding the parts is harder than hunting i think….. kinda fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
Weeder Plant Tool Grass Garden tool

Hope Squirrel don't mind , it is just a Rem 580 that i fit a 17 cal barrel to ,i turned and chambered the barrel to 17HM2. Some of these parts came from other members here on the forum and thanks to them.

note. sorry i didn't turn the pic.

701 - 720 of 866 Posts