Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Suprises:
Came with both sling swivels, and they are in exellent shape!
Came with a Mossberg 4D scope, and it works great!

Marstar here in Canada said she was in "VG" condition. With a few dings in the furnature, bits of paint splatter, etc, but nothing serious. I'll refinish the stock this winter. Not a spot of rust anywhere on any of the metal. Personaly I'd keep her still even if she came painted in pink Camo'. :D

She was abit dirty inside, so I gave her a good take-down and clean before hitting the range.

Note to self...bring more ammo!
I went through 400 rounds like nothing, and spent more time picking up spent brass. I only wish she held more then 15 rnds. :D

Out of which I had a 4 jams, 3 stovepipes, one double fire, and a few tiny bitz of metal (prob' copper casings) fly out and hit my right arm...Prob' due to the 50 rnds of Dyna dud ammo I was using up (god I hate this stuff), and having a twitchy trigger finger didn't help.

No problems with the rest of the ammo...except it ran out to quick.

Also I discoverd that letting the lever slap back when cocking while there is already a round loaded can cause it to fire...so good she was pointed down range. :eek:

Once I set the scope up her accuracy is IMHO on par with my 46M (b) Bolt action. ie...1" groups at 100 yards from the bench, 1/2", and "tack divers" anywhere closer... In spite of the trigger being more heavy then on the 46M(b). So I still get to harass our local 10/22 crowd. :D

Best $95 Can' bucks I have ever spent, and I got a case with it also. :D

Other mossy events...I also traded an Enfield Stock I found at a garage sale for 2 sling swivels, for my 46M(b), and while cleaning my way out of the range today I spotted 2 perfectly good 50rnd boxes of Federal .22 LR ammo in the garbage. :D

Well sorry for the long winded tale.
Cheers!
H. :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hamish, you scored!, Great looking rifle, down in this neck of the woods a clean Mossberg 4D scope goes from $35.00-$55.00 when you can find them, a real deal on sling swivels is $20 a set, have paid $15.00 each before, looks like you paid for a scope and swivels and they tossed the rifle and case for free, that's my idea of a deal, Now you just need to hit a gunshow for the right peep and you are set, but don't buy it, just take some of that garage sale scored trading material with you and trade for it. See peeps for $35-$50 for those lazy type who like to spend money. My best 151m deal was $75., with no swivels, no peep and missing the receiver sight. And I was very happy with that. As for ammo consumption, figure a brick a day with a semi-auto, two if you bring a friend, I am always looking for cheap ammo at gun shows. last one picked up two bricks of old federal for $5.00 each. Shot fine. Olypenn22

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife says I've been grinning all day. :D

I think a local gunshow is comming up soon.
Hmmm. Hard part is developing the poker face when you are looking at a deal on the table in front of you. :D

Cheers!
H.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's a nice looking 151M and as good a deal as I've ever heard of on one. Congratulations.

You may want to try cleaning the stock before giving in and refinishing it. The stain on these rifles is very hard to match or duplicate. Try cleaning the paint splatters off carefully with some 0000 steel wool dipped in mineral spirits. Raise the dents with a wet rag under a clothes iron. Once that is doen, go over the whole thing lightly with the 0000steel wool making sure not to get into or remove the stain. Apply a few coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil according to the directions lightly hitting with the 0000 steel wool in between and she will look like you just took it out of the box new.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
refinish?

:D I agree with the post on the cleaning the stock. the L46ALS I bought had paint on the stock and needed a good cleaning. I used 0000 steel wool and boiled linseed oil to lightly clean 'er up. It took off the paint problems and smoothed out the finish with out removing it. brought out the grain . your looks to have some nice grain. Good Buy !--Jim-- :t

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
reddogge said:
The finish will be hard to duplicate, especially the "patina" so I'd advise stongly against refinishing.
I have the same rifle (no sling swivels, but the original sights, including peep). The open sight is on for 25 yards, and the peep for 50 and I put a scope on it on see-thru mounts. The best of all worlds!

I agree with reddogge. My finish was a mess, but MiniWax Furniture Refinisher--kind of a low-impact approach-- did a beautiful job. It melts the old finish and allows you to spread it out evenly. It's a mellow satin finish when you're done. I might put some furniture paste wax over it just to protect it.
I can send you a foto if you're interested.

BTW, mine's a great shooter and a gun gawker magnet at the range.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I agree, if it does not really need it, don't refinish. But if it does wash down with HOT water and detergent, removes most all color, dirt, and raises dents. Steel wool very smooth and use Min-Wax red mahogany stain. Will dublicate the original reddish brown color perfectly. Use 2 coats of stain and follow with several coats of BLO. Try it, youl like it!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sme cautions when using BLO (from experience!) Any rags that get soaked or used to wipe BLO, do not throw in any contaier (trash. waste basket, etc) It is VERY prone to spontanious combustion. I once filled the house with smoke from this. Spread outside until they dry. Use very thin coats on the stock, rub in with the hands until your hands feel warm. After an hour wipe off any 'wetness' or excess. At least 24 hr between coats 1 thru 4 and then maybe a week after that, until you find it satisfactory. It is possible to fill the grain completey but takes awhile.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Coal furnace? Haven't seen one of those for years!
I might add, of all finishes I have used over the years BLO is the best. Anything from the open grain military look to the grain filled custom look. Tung oil is good but I have had drying prolems with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.