Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
CZ455
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering how people have done this. I'm looking at two issues: (1) I'd like to get it as low as possible, and (2) getting the correct eye relief on it seems problematic because of the short (1.5"!) distance between the turret cluster and the magnification adjustment ring. I've been looking at a lot of rings for the 11mm rail, picatinny adaptor, cantilever rings, etc. and don't seem to see anything or any combination that jumps out as an obvious win to get both the low mount and the eye relief.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Have you already looked at the area 419 rail system?
I have that on my 457 Varmint with Vortex low rings with a lot of room up front still.
I don't have the Athlon so I can't confirm for you, but I do have a 6x24x40mm Vortex Diamondback. Its close at the back of my reciever, but you could always get medium rings to fix that.
The YouTube guy "pursuit of accuracy " has a 457 MTR with a 419 rail and a scope similar to the one you are installing. Check out some of his videos and see what it would look like.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I usually get the rifle and desired rail. The rail might be a zero cant or maybe 20moa. I like Picatinny rails.

Then set the scope on some form of spacers like stacks of washers for a test fit, adjusting the stack until I get the desired height. From there, the stack is measured, and the closest height rings are selected. Masking and doublestick tape helps to hold thing together during the test fit process.

It's not a fast process but it minimizes mistakes. This process has allowed me to get the scope low with the objective close to the barrel and ocular not interfering with the rail or bolt.

Note: it's often easier to get a 3-lug / 60 degree turn, bolt gun lower than a 2-lug / 90 degree bolt.

Jim

·
Registered
CZ455
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps I should clarify ... I do know how to set up a scope and have some years of experience in doing that. Currently that rifle is wearing an old Tasco 6-24x40 scope with Monstrum rings on a 25 MOA Triggers by Scar Picatinny rail. It's a little higher than necessary, but I haven't messed with that because I knew I'd be getting a new scope. I'm thinking that I won't need the 25 MOA rail with the Argos scope.

I like Picatinny rails in general, but putting one on the 11 mm dovetail does increase height by about a quarter of an inch. But I'm sure I can mix and match rings with or without a Picatinny to get a decent height, although it's looking tricky to get what I want if I were to eliminate the Picatinny and just put the rings directly on the 11 mm dovetail.

My main concern is the eye relief -- and this is limited by the very short length of the tube that will sit in the rear ring. I haven't actually TRIED to fit the scope yet and won't be able to do that for another week or so. So what I'm really looking for here is experience that people have had in mounting this or a similar Athlon scope on this or a similar rifle -- particularly in terms of the eye relief issue. It MAY turn out that when I go to mount the scope the eye relief may come out okay -- but it's obvious that it's going to be VERY close. :)

·
Registered
CZ455
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the rail I would recommend. ...
Yeah, I've looked at that one, and I appreciate the info that it may be a bit lower. The big issue with adding the Picatinny over the dovetail is that it looks as though the rearmost slot on the Picatinny will put the scope just a bit forward of the desired eye relief -- but maybe not. And maybe I can scootch the Picatinny a bit to the rear -- even if that requires a little modification to the cutout for the ejection port. I'm also looking at cantilever rings -- but then there's the catch 22 that they always add height. :rolleyes:

So in part I'm looking for reasonable ideas (and experience) because I can't get involved in a trial and error process with a dozen combinations of rails and rings. 😂

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
The rails by SCAR are also good. DIP SCAR and Area419 I have had success with. I have an MPA chassis and have run a diamondback 2, pst viper 2, and a mk5 on mine. DIP or SCAR with thin ultralight rings like the nightforce will likely be lowest with most scope slide wiggle room. On rails like the 419 it has a stop bar on the back, i dont recommend getting one WITHOUT that unless it uses vertical set screws like dip or scar. Ive had some hassles with the others. ie MPA.

I found the SCAR longer then the DIP but the one i have is a 55moa and I didnt keep it due to not working with the SPHUR mount I wanted to use at the time which is totally overkill and it now on a PRC .

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I understand not wanting to go through a bunch of combination to find one that works.

This has been my experience with the scope you mentioned. I went with the tallest of these rings, wanting to make sure I had barrel clearance. Have plenty of room to go lower but it is very comfortable where it sits for me.
Grass Bicycle part Nickel Metal Pipe

·
Registered
CZ455
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yo might look at the BKL rings, They have a cantilever ring that might give you more spacing alternatives for getting the right eye relief.
They're on my list of possibilities, but the trade-off is the increased height. I need to look at all the possibilities and do all the math. In some cases that's easier than others because of how the manufacturers describe the ring height specs (to center of ring or to bottom of ring :rolleyes:). Also, except in cases of "quality" product lines, I never know what to believe in terms of the dimensions. 😂

·
Registered
CZ455
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This has been my experience with the scope you mentioned. ...
Thanks. Nice picture -- and it illustrates very clearly the problem with establishing the best eye relief. You can really see how little forward/backward movement is possible because of the short space in which the rear ring has to fit.

An additional (self-imposed) complication is that I'm trying to do this with the action in an Evolution stock. I will almost certainly move it to a Pro Varmint stock I have -- but only after I do some serious mods to that. I really kind of like the Evolution, and I've pillar and epoxy bedded it so it's absolutely solid. But I'll grant you it's not the first choice for shooting off the bench, and I've had to Rube Goldberg a cheek riser on it. I really want to get it on the rifle in that stock so I can shoot while working on the Pro Varmint. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
CZ455
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Might I inquire what is driving your requirement to be low?
Two things. First is the general maxim (repeated in the Athlon manual for the scope) that a scope should be mounted as close to the bore as possible. And there is good reason for this, but it always has to be attenuated by practical considerations. But I don't see anything gained by having a scope where the objective is 3/4" off the barrel rather than 1/8"-1/4" off the barrel. Second, as I just mentioned, in the Evolution stock, the higher the scope sits above the action, the more of a pain it is to arrange things to get a reliable cheek weld.

But I see where you're going, and I may have to sacrifice this "requirement". More important is the eye relief issue.

·
Registered
CZ455
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have an evo , but a smaller scope.
Yeah -- NICE. Also notice that the distance between your turrets and your power adjustment ring is about twice as much as on my Athlon 10-40x56. That's my major issue -- leaving aside any concern about scope height.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That is a really good scope imho, both of my 457 Varmint MTR's have one on them. The preowned rifle I bought already had an Area 419 rail on it and I use a cheek riser; my new rifle has the scope mounted directly to the dove tail rail which is my preferred way to mount making it closer to the rifle. My gun dealer had mounted it for me prior to me picking up the rifle and scope and iirc he used medium rings. Eye relief is not an issue with either mounting method, at least to me, if that helps you.
Machine gun Military camouflage Air gun Trigger Plant

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
894 Posts
So is that an 11 mm dovetail on your rifle? If so, what rings are you using?
Yes, the 11 mm dovetail is standard on most CZ's; as far as rings I'll have to get back with you on verification of brand as the CZ dealer had them on hand. If I was going to venture to guess they're CZ but don't hold me to that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts