Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
My subjective answer would be with a LOBOS Industries dedicated RMR type optic mount; it's the lowest mount you can purchase, it's minimalistic in size, is manufactured and finished very nicely, is the most aesthetically pleasing of all the mount types, and is on par with the cost of other mounts at $45. Note they make the mount for different optic platforms.

Here's one mounted on my Mark IV 22/45 Lite:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would ask what is the intended purpose of the pistol?... and are aesthetics that important to you?... for my purpose, the weight of my intended sight, negated the need for an ultra-thin light weight mount... I actually switched the lite weight upper for a standard 5.5" VQ take off for my final iteration of my Steel Challenge pistol (with VQ trigger upgrade and Striplin gas pedals, as I perceive it swings smoother for my style of shooting.... caveat- I'm just a high B class shooter...shown with a HS 507 and 510 on factory rail
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
... regards

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a lot of the EGW dovetail mounts.
Use them on many centerfire pistols and they do not shake loose if properly installed.
on my mark4 22/45 I mounted the optic to the pic rail.
The slight difference in height is inconsequential
The fastest pistol shooter in the world, steel challenge shooters use a lot of C More optics that are mounted an inch plus and seem to do just fine LOL
OMO

·
Registered
565 Posts
The slight difference in height is inconsequential
The fastest pistol shooter in the world, steel challenge shooters use a lot of C More optics that are mounted an inch plus and seem to do just fine LOL
OMO
May I ask what being a fastest in the world competition shooter has to do with Joe Average plinking, casual target shooting, and pest control? All the latter activities can take place at different target distances, whereas a competition shooter typically shoots at known distances, where they have the luxury of practicing for HOURS and DAYS using firearms at the same distance using AMMUNITION THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR, and by virtue of them firing more rounds of ammunition in a year than most people would shoot in 5 lifetimes - they're already a step ahead of the average Joe in most all respects, eh?

Do you know of any competition shooters or even a casual shooter who has a C-More optic mounted on their carry gun?

I sure don't, and there's more than a good reason for that, right?

Generally speaking, the height of an optic over the bore is consequential, as most prefer their optics to be as close to the bore as possible, unless doing so impeded obtaining a proper cheek weld with a rifle. Another thing...what if you suddenly realize that your optic doesn't provide enough elevation adjustment for the distances you're looking to shoot at, the only option is to mount the optic lower -or- utilize a base with however many MOA that's required to make it work for your intended purpose. So if your purposes are multiple, IMHO, mounting as optic as low as possible is the way to go.

I find the "multi-platform" optic mounts that are designed to be used on handguns to be overly bulky, and often strewn with disproportio0nally large white lettering (i.e. Tandemkross) or other identifying marks. The LOBOS mount is minimalistic, aesthetically pleasing, has no manufacturer markings on it whatsoever (I mean really...David the owner doesn't need to advertise by placing billboards all over his products; they sell themselves by word of mouth) and costs the same as the others that look like they were designed on an Etch-A-Sketch, that take up more space than is actually necessary to mount the optic, and cause the optic to be mounted higher than necessary.

My Ruger Mark IV 22/45 shown in the images that I posted above of course came with the factory Picatinny/Weaver rail atop the receiver, but when I mounted the optic shown with it's own picatinny mount it was too high above the bore, and looked out of place. So I took off the OEM rail and mounted the LOBOS Industries mount - and never looked back.

YMMV ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bow to your over whelming 6 paragraph information!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have a Tandemkross shadow mount. It is one of those multi purpose mounts that will accept just about any optic. I like it because it can be installed so that the red dot can be mounted in 3 different positions on the barrel of my Mark Iv. Some like the red dot close, some like it further over the ejection port. I wasn't sure when I bought it ao I was able to experiment. I did the calculus long ago, but as I recall, the only mount that got the red dot closer to the bore axis is the Lobos. After exprimenting with the red dot location, my hindsight makes me wish I'd have gotten a Lobos. It looks very clean and almost like part of the gun. I still may purchase one if he ever has a stainless or aluminum mount (ie , not black) in stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts