Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am just now having a peak of interest in the 10/22 and am at a loss for all this bolt stuff. I am currently running completely stock... I want to know what are the best trigger and bolt upgrades do do on a relativly mediocre budget.

First and foremost I am looking for good components that will smooth up my action and increase durability. My rifle has very many rounds through it, and the inside of the upper receiver is showing wear (the black anodizing has worn away in two "strips")
The gun still feels smooth enough though. I am also missing those little screws to cover up the holes on the top of the receiver. Anything I should really check into?

What is a good bolt assembly (extractor, charging handle, and everything else) for a modest price? Do I have to worry about headspacing and such? (Im an ar-15 lover;) ) Reliability is most important to me... I am looking for a solid product.

What is a good hammer and sear set? Im looking to crispen my trigger pull without spending too much $$. (I await IRONWOODS new bullpup stock set, and dont want to spend a ton of dough on a trigger only to replace it with the bullpups own mechanism)

Any misc. items that will improve reliablity and proformance?
i.e. buffers, springs, bolt releases ect...???

Thanks, this is a long post but any help would be appreciated as my 10/22 needs a facelift.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
10-22 modifications

I don't think the marks on the inside of the receiver are anything to be concerned about. The anodizing does wear away on most guns in a short time.
I would suggest adding a bolt buffer & if you are experiencing extraction problems add the VQ. exact edge extractor.
My choice for trigger improvement is the VQ target hammer. (you don't need to change the sear with this hammer)
Search this forum on 10-22 modifications & you will gain knowledge on these fantastic little rifles.
The above mentioned recomendations should keep you on the right track until you feel confident to tackle some of the more in depth improvements

Good luck & safe shooting. Rod.:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Knife_Sniper:

Get a Volquartsen hammer. You won't need the sear as the hammer is such that it will drop your trigger pull down into the "2 to 3# range" and smooth things at the same time.

As for the bolt, all I did with mine was polish it and jewel it (purely cosmetic) and polished the bolt guide. I did swap out the factory extractor for a Volquartsen unit. I did that on all of my 10/22's ... both the LR versions and the Magnum version. NO stovepipes, NO failure to eject.

I also embeded a fender washer under the recoil shoulder after I relieved some wood under it to give the shoulder something solid to rest on. The stock screw goes thru the center of the washer.

Add a padded recoil buffer from Dakotan and you are in business.

So, for about $60 you can improve the functioning of the action to become TOTALLY reliable, and make it smoother to boot. I even kept the factory stock and modified it a bit, getting rid of that curved plastic buttplate and installing a 1" recoil pad to get some more length to the pull. With the factory barrel I shoot groups in the 3/8" range at 50 yards. A lot of them are quite a bit less ... enough of them to know it isn't a fluke.
:t

·
Registered
590 Posts
In addition to the VQ hammer I'd recommend a Weaponkraft "Performance Package" Comes with a VQ extractor and their fine buffer as well as a socket head screw and T handled wrench. Makes a fantasticly reliable setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.