Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

most reliable 22. semi

936 Views 28 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  AzDrifter
Hey all, just want to know what you think is the most reliable 22. semi on the market today. I'm not trying to get burned or start a war just tell your opinion on the matter thanks. :t
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,028 Posts
800 rounds through my TC Benchmark and no problems....clean the firebox etc. every 300 rounds, not from neccesity but rather from others advice....a real tack driver at 50 yards......
glenn (Buckeye Air)

· Registered
544 Posts
In my opinion, you just can't go wrong with either a Ruger 10/22, or a Marlin Model 60.

Both great rifles, accurate and reliable.

I've got over 3000 rounds through one of my 10/22s without cleaning. Still does what it is supposed to do!

Good Shooting!

· Registered
834 Posts
Don't know which is the most reliable. I think you'll tend to hear mostly what folks use, since most folks are proud of what they use. On this site, it's likely to be the 10/22. Don't care for them myself, just 'cuz I don't like how they feel in my hands.

Now that's just my own bias folks, so don't take it personal.

I'm quite sure that there are more reliable .22 rifles out there, but my Marlin 60 is 25 years old and still functioning fine. I have no idea how many rounds are through it, but it's been shot an awful lot. Heck, It's never needed anything other than cleaning once in a great while. Don't know if the new ones are as good, but I'm happy with mine.

I have a Colt Woodsman from 1941 that's still working fine, too. I only keep the reliable and accurate ones, and I usually find that there are good and bad in any make/model.

Daryl

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Well, had a Nylon 66. Not bad, but not dead reliable. Had some 10/22's neither of which were especially reliable. Mostly mag problems. Done everything I can think of on the mags, including the tips on this site. They still eventually stop it. How I wish good, simple in-line single stack metal mags were common. Still I too just don't like how it feels.

Winchester 74 was flawless for me though it hasn't had lots of rounds. My choice, Marlin 60. Mine is all, but flawless. It will choke very rarely on poor ammo after a few thousand rounds between cleanings.

Just don't get the 10/22. It can be modded. I would prefer not to need doing such. The 'revolutionary' rotary mag is a load of crap in my opinion. Obviously many here will disagree. It can be taken apart for cleaning much easier than the Marlin 60. But heck the Marlin doesn't need it much.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
The Ruger 10/22 just works good. Every gun has it's flaws and out of all the rimfire repeaters I own the 10/22 gets my vote.

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
10/22 needs a lot less cleaning than a marlin 60. the marlins load up with crap real quick, even with dry lube. and their recoil springs are way too stiff...but they are pretty reliable if you only use high velocity ammo for the first few thousand rounds...

ill let ya know about my mossy 352k when i get around to shooting it...i know it cycles shorts just fine :)

· Registered
508 Posts
Sold my stock 10/22 DSP - pretty, but neither particularly reliable nor accurate. My Thompson-Center Classic was a bit more of both even before I sent it back for factory tweaking. Since its return, 150 rounds with no failures to feed or fire, and only CB Longs failed to eject. If I could get a good trigger, I'd say it was about perfect for me.

Jaywalker

· Registered
3,500 Posts
While I'm a big fan of the 10/22 and mine have been quite reliable I would also say the TC Classics are a good choice too. But of all the autoloading 22lrs I would say the Winchester 63 is the most reliable.

Dave Z.

· Registered
1,737 Posts
Did somebody say RIFLES?

Well, I didn't see "rifles only" mentioned, so I'll chime in with my nomination: Browning Buckmark. Very unreliable when brand new, but after a good break in, she just gets reliabler and reliabler.
-S

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.