Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at one of these trying to decide if it is worth buying. It has a semi-heavy barrel from the looks of it, and a peep sight added on to the rear. No scope mount though. Its for sale for $140 at my local gun shop, is this worth owning?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My 42M shoots right with my Stevens 416 target rifle using off-the-shelf ammo (haven't tried the "good" stuff in it.). I have both the S130 peep sight and the original Mossberg scopemount with vintage Weaver scope on it.

One thing to check though:
The ejector on mine is worn, so I shoot it "single-shot" and remove the fired shell by hand. The ejector is a piece of steel plate bolted under the magazine retainer - if worn it passes by the cartridge rim without knocking it out of the receiver.

I paid $200 for my 42M, and see them listed from $175 to $220 range. You've got a good deal if it's in very good condition. Also check for the spare magazine in the buttstock compartment - the door is in the buttplate. Bonus points if it's there. These magazines will work in the M44US too, if you get one. They go for about $35 apiece.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to look it over again more carefully, there is a few spots of rust although the finish is very good overall. Stock seems like it is in good condition as well, some minor scratches-might just refinish it for fun anyways. It does have the second magazine with it as well.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bigdog said:

The ejector on mine is worn, so I shoot it "single-shot" and remove the fired shell by hand. The ejector is a piece of steel plate bolted under the magazine retainer - if worn it passes by the cartridge rim without knocking it out of the receiver.
Have you tried gun part corporation for a new ejecter?

Also while i was there I noticed there is a 42M, 42M(A), 42M(B), 42M(C) listed. Do you know the difference between these models?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.